Thanksgiving Traditions

ASailrsWife

Tinsel Straightener
MMC Member
Nov 30, 2006
Norwood, Pa
My family and I will be hosting a German Exchange student for 2 weeks in October. At the end of their stay before they depart the group hosts a farewell dinner for the students. We will be celebrating and having a Thanksgiving Dinner.

So my question to all of you are what are your traditions? I'm hoping to incorporate some into the dinner. Any suggestions would be great!

:served::corn::march:

Reactions: 3 people

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
That sounds very exciting to host German Exchange students and celebrate Thanksgiving with them!

Not sure if this would be a suggestion that would work for you but will share what our Thanksgiving tradition is.

First thing in the morning is the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade while cooking up the turkey and fixins. Of course when Santa shows up at the end I stop everything so I can jump up and down and scream for joy! Literally! I make my husband and adult son join in with me but usually they just end up laughing at me. Ha ha! I could care less how silly I look, it's official the Christmas season has kicked off for me and I am thrilled!!!

By the time the parade is over company arrives and we have a buffet style lunch, eat and chat. Afterward we gather around for several games of bingo with prizes given out. I have all the prizes wrapped up in Christmas paper. We usually have scratch off lotto tickets as prizes as well.

By the time that wraps up it's time for the Dallas Cowboys game! Go Cowboys!!! We are usually going for another round of food, snacks and desserts.

After the game company leaves and it's just my husband and I watching Christmas shows and movies until it's time for bed.

This has been our tradition since I was a youngster. I am a grandma now and still carrying on this tradition!

Be sure to post back after your celebration to let us know how it goes!

Reactions: 2 people

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
I love reading about everyone's traditions!

Well, over the years, we would go to my grandmother's house, which is now my parents house, so it's very special for me to still go there. Once we get our basement finished, we are going to start holding all the holidays here. With DH and I holding the jobs we do and working all major holidays, it's hard for us to really keep any solid tradition down anymore, but we try. This year, I have off Thanksgiving off, which since I work night, I will have the night before off, but I will probably work the night of too, which DH will work to. With having the night off before, it will give us the opportunity to really celebrate, watch the parade, eat at the time we want to, and just spend time together. It will be very nice and I'm looking forward to it!

Reactions: 1 person

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image