Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Christmas ornaments get flung on trees without much thought. Many buy them in packs reminiscent of soda or beer. Most ornaments in use today are so plain and so ordinary that they receive little notice at all.

But did you know there was once quite the art to the humble Christmas ornament? Once upon a time a Christmas ornament was only used with great thought. It was carefully and often meticulously hand crafted with a single purpose in mind. Ornaments once were singular in design and heavy in symbolism.

In this episode of the Merry Little Podcast we explore how ornaments reveal some of the deeper symbolism — and at times hidden meanings — of Christmas.

We also explain why ornaments are older as a tradition than you think and why it was so much a part of the ancient celebration of Christmas.

Ornaments don’t HAVE to be meaningful. And they don’t have to be religious.

Over time they have come to symbolize family unity, occupations, political beliefs, team loyalties, and preferences in the arts.

Regardless of how they were used — they meant something.

Continue reading...

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
I'll be interested to hear this. I have a small tree, so my ornaments are carefully chosen. Nearly every one has a memory, an association, some sort of personal meaning. Decorating the tree is a combination of smiles and tears, and a walk through many memories.

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
When I first started having my own tree, I bought multi-packs of balls because I didn't have very many truly special ornaments. A couple of years later my mom gave me some ornaments from when I was a kid and I cherish them all. Now, my husband and I buy a new ornament (sometimes two) each year that has some kind of special meaning to us. We put very very few of those balls on the tree because we are starting to accumulate enough special ornaments. I love the way our tree is transforming over the years.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image