Christmas Countdown - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmaswarlock

Santa's Sleigh Designer
MMC Member
Nov 18, 2018
Atlanta
Today was our annual "Christmas Bomb"---wrapping and packaging our out-of-town Christmas packages. Was at it from before 11 a.m. until around 6 p.m. Mr. is still working, but I'm all played out. I'll probably sit down with a Christmas movie or concert until bedtime.

Looks like we may get a hazardous snow/sleet storm of up to 8 inches between Sunday afternoon and Monday night. My snow tires don't go on until Friday, and our snow plow guy informed us yesterday that not only is his arm injured, his plow is broken, and he won't be able to plow us out after this storm, so we're going to have to shovel. Worried about getting to and from work safely on Monday. I could work at home if I have to, but it's a big pain to do, and our printer, which is essential to my working at home, is acting up and not working part of the time. I'm going to lose sleep over this Sunday night!
We have a weather advisory also for Sunday and Monday 5-9" each day. Sooner or later we will eventually get slammed.

Christmaswarlock

Santa's Sleigh Designer
MMC Member
Nov 18, 2018
Atlanta
A Good Thanksgiving Weekend Morning to you, Folks!

I regard the time period from Thanksgiving Day through the following Sunday as the extended Thanksgiving weekend.
After that, it's Christmas all the way for the rest of the year!

Days to Christmas Day: 25 (Just over 3 1/2 weeks to go!)

We had a somewhat chilly day after Thanksgiving yesterday, but it was dry. Today will be chillier and it will come with rain. In fact, it is already falling as I type this, and the temperature reading is 49 degrees.

I hope you have a really great final weekend of November along with a Sensational Saturday, Everybody!
Thanks Crown! We are still trudging away on leftovers.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Glad you had a productive wrapping day. I hope the storm isn't as bad as they're calling for we had a day like that last Wednesday and school buses were cancelled and the plows were out a few times in the same day. Lots of snow glare on side roads because they never get down to the pavement.

I was sure happy to have my snow tires for my rural adventure yesterday.

I hope things work out. Shoveling is worse than housework.
Thank you!
The predicted snow amounts keep creeping up little by little. We're going to stock up today on anything we need, but thanks to Thanksgiving, we're already pretty well stocked. After that, we can only wait and see, and deal with whatever comes between late Sunday and early Tuesday. Mr. is a pretty good shoveler, but I poop out awfully quick.

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
I hate to write this on here, but wanted to share; Today we were out at Hobby Lobby to buy some of the "scentsicles" scented things to hang in the Christmas Tree, and i was absolutely stunned to see that they were "consolidating" Christmas into about six isles on one side of the store, and whereas before 3/4 of the store was all Christmas, today it is less than a quarter. Really made my heart sad.

But i was sad for just a moment, because i remembered that there is still 26 days left before Christmas, and i'm going to try and enjoy every one of them. It is already in the back of my mind about starting a "new" countdown in 2020, and all of the things i am going to be able to do to not only enjoy the new year, but also pass the time. I'm fully stocked up on Christmas Wine, Starbucks Holiday Blend, plenty of Christmas themed scented wax and Christmas candles. More than ample provisions to get me through until I can start stocking up again next spring / early summer :)

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Merry Saturday, wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!
xx

View attachment 65964

I thought about you today when I noticed that Mary B (Berg) is co-hosting as a judge for the Gingerbread Showdown on the Foot Network. She is friends with my brother; I've only caught her show twice. I'll try to watch that one tomorrow.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Merry Early Evening -lights-

I mailed the rest of my MMC cards out today. Picked up a few and a package.

Got gas, did some shopping - I keep saying I'm finished and go crazy again.

I was dropping off the Christmas card along with festive HOHO kitchen tea towel and homemade snowman ornament to the Across the Creek Neighbour when I noticed a woman with a walker and two other ladies with her. As I passed them and went on my way to deliver her surprise to her mailbox, one of the daughters rounded the corner and caught me in the act of kindness.

She started to shout and stifled her voice with her mitt and asked, "Are you the Merry Stranger?" I said, "Yes; it's me." She approached as I was popping the small gift bag into the mailbox upright so it would be noticeable. She said, "You look familiar, I think I went to high school with you and your brother." I asked if she was Judy and she was. We were never friends, but were familiar to each other. She shared how much joy it gave her mom to receive the cards the last few years and the surprise ornament last year. I told her that I wondered if that was the same woman when I was passing them. I thanked her for the New Year's sign. I still wanted to keep my identity a secret because it's more fun this way. She agreed and shoed me off on a different path to take me around the other way so I wouldn't spoil the moment.

The Night Before Christmas with the mice and clockmaker just ended.

It's been a jolly good day so far.-surprise-

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
A Good Thanksgiving Weekend Morning to you, Folks!

I regard the time period from Thanksgiving Day through the following Sunday as the extended Thanksgiving weekend.
After that, it's Christmas all the way for the rest of the year!

Days to Christmas Day: 25 (Just over 3 1/2 weeks to go!)

We had a somewhat chilly day after Thanksgiving yesterday, but it was dry. Today will be chillier and it will come with rain. In fact, it is already falling as I type this, and the temperature reading is 49 degrees.

I hope you have a really great final weekend of November along with a Sensational Saturday, Everybody!
Thanks Crown! Happy Final Day of November!

Christmaswarlock

Santa's Sleigh Designer
MMC Member
Nov 18, 2018
Atlanta
I hate to write this on here, but wanted to share; Today we were out at Hobby Lobby to buy some of the "scentsicles" scented things to hang in the Christmas Tree, and i was absolutely stunned to see that they were "consolidating" Christmas into about six isles on one side of the store, and whereas before 3/4 of the store was all Christmas, today it is less than a quarter. Really made my heart sad.

But i was sad for just a moment, because i remembered that there is still 26 days left before Christmas, and i'm going to try and enjoy every one of them. It is already in the back of my mind about starting a "new" countdown in 2020, and all of the things i am going to be able to do to not only enjoy the new year, but also pass the time. I'm fully stocked up on Christmas Wine, Starbucks Holiday Blend, plenty of Christmas themed scented wax and Christmas candles. More than ample provisions to get me through until I can start stocking up again next spring / early summer :)
I found out our local AC Moore is closing up, the only craft store with a 1 hour drive of us. That place is like a old standby.. Halloween/Fall items are out in July, by August you can start seeing some Christmas sprinkled around. I still have the Hallmark store for a quick fix I suppose. Sad..

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
I found out our local AC Moore is closing up, the only craft store with a 1 hour drive of us. That place is like a old standby.. Halloween/Fall items are out in July, by August you can start seeing some Christmas sprinkled around. I still have the Hallmark store for a quick fix I suppose. Sad..
We're going to lose our AC Moore too, but a Hobby Lobby will be opening nearby next year. So one in, one out in my neighborhood. We also have a Jo-Ann Fabrics, but their yarn aisles are getting pretty scanty; and a Michaels, but it's in the thick of shopping traffic.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada

The only place we can find Christmas items during the off season is our local Michaels store. We have a Hallmark store in our biggest mall and the same owners have a business downtown called The Abbey Holiday Cards and Gifts that has always carried Hallmark ornaments. They have been in business since the late 40's. Fabricland offers some craft materials, but more for table runners, tree skirts, clothes, blankets, etc. the odd time they offer non-fabric items for sale.

HomeSense has seen me 5 times since it opened in October for Christmas related things. If I had room, I'd leave with oodles of merry items, but no craft supplies - some for making wreaths, etc.

Our Craft and Hobby store closed ten years ago. There are some specialty shops in Sudbury, but that's nearly two hours away.

I am not a crafter.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Finished the Black Friday shopping tonight. Ahhhhhh Yabba!

When I ventured out yesterday, I forgot that people here would be out taking advantage of sales. Everywhere I went the parking lots were full.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Good Morning - welcome to December (last of the ber months) and the one we've been waiting for since Jan.1st.

Watched some Christmas specials and films last night and got merrily mellow, had a good sleep and I'm ready to tackle the work and relative Christmas cards this morning.

-greetings-Stay jolly and have a super Sunday! -season-

Martine

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 13, 2010
Canada

I know it’s sad to see fewer and fewer Christmas items in stores as we come closer to the big day, but stores like my own bring out seasonal merchandise so early nowadays that there is much less by the time December rolls around. Where I work, we went from 5 full aisles to 2 last week. So you’re right to focus on all those Christmas goodies that you already have and enjoy the season :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image