Greetings to all (from Russia with love))

DearRudy

Merry Forums Newbie
MMC Donor
MMC Member
Dec 12, 2019
Russian Federation
Sorry in advance for the possible mistakes - English is not native to me :oops:

'Some say Christmas is for children...'
My name is Margaret, I live in a small town not far from Moscow (something like 20 km), and although I'm a very big girl (I'm 32) still I'm a huge fan of Christmas. Here, in Russia, most people celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January, but me and my husband are Roman Catholics, so we celebrate it on 24-25th of December and don't have much people to talk about it and share the joy.
Actually, it's the first time I join a foreign english-speaking community and I'm feeling a little shy and a little scared... but hopefully I can be a part of your forum - Christmas doesn't have any boundaries. Nice to meet you all, hope we can be friends)

ponytramp

Dashing through the snow ..
MMC Lifer
Sep 21, 2019
new england
Welcome to the forum DearRudy!

All are welcome here. Please feel free to tell us about your experiences celebrating the holidays in Russia.

::welcome

Reactions: DearRudy

Dickens' Ghost

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Member
Sep 30, 2019
Utah
Welcome to the forum! I am new here myself.

That's very interesting that you are from Russia. I have always thought it was an interesting country.

I had no idea that most Russians celebrate Christmas in January. How strange. Why is that?

I'm 38 myself and still love Christmas, so as you say it's not just for kids! It's such a magical time of the year.

Your English is very good! So don't worry. I'm sure you'll fit right in around here.

snowflake22

*Harlowe's Mom*
MMC Lifer
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 10, 2011
Wisconsin

My name is Margaret, I live in a small town not far from Moscow (something like 20 km), and although I'm a very big girl (I'm 32) still I'm a huge fan of Christmas. Here, in Russia, most people celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January, but me and my husband are Roman Catholics, so we celebrate it on 24-25th of December and don't have much people to talk about it and share the joy.
Actually, it's the first time I join a foreign english-speaking community and I'm feeling a little shy and a little scared... but hopefully I can be a part of your forum - Christmas doesn't have any boundaries. Nice to meet you all, hope we can be friends)

Hello & welcome to MMC, Margaret!!
Merry Christmas!!

:tree:-noel-

Dudley

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Member
Sep 20, 2019
Southern California

Hello Margaret. Welcome! Interestingly, many years ago I met a young girl on a Christmas forum who is from Poland. 10 years later we're still good friends and we email each other regularly. You never know who you might meet.

Merry Christmas

Bradmac

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2008
Bellville, GA

Welcome to our group, Margaret!!

-merry-

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Welcome to our new friend Margaret!
wave_01.gif

KimB

North Pole's Auditor
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 19, 2019
DB Shores, Florida
Merry Christmas, Margaret. Your English is just fine. I'm also a Roman Catholic, although I've attended many other denominational churches.

It's great because we celebrate Christmas all year here. Of course, it gets much busier beginning in September but we all have one goal and that is to make Christmas merry for all!

Welcome to the most positive, caring forum ever!

Reactions: DearRudy and Dudley

SnowflakeMom

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
Welcome to the site and join our Christmas Countdown thread!

DearRudy

Merry Forums Newbie
MMC Donor
MMC Member
Dec 12, 2019
Russian Federation
Thank you, people! In ru-net we have a joke: when some person is being very nice, kind and sweet, we say that he is a 'котик' ( [ˈkotʲɪk] - pretty little cat), meaning something like 'everyone loves kittens, because they are so gentle sweeties, so you're exactly like the one'. Rewording this, let me say: you're reindeer fawns)), I'm so happy and excited to meet you. God bless you all! -reindeer-

Welcome to the forum! I am new here myself.

That's very interesting that you are from Russia. I have always thought it was an interesting country.

I had no idea that most Russians celebrate Christmas in January. How strange. Why is that?

I'm 38 myself and still love Christmas, so as you say it's not just for kids! It's such a magical time of the year.

Your English is very good! So don't worry. I'm sure you'll fit right in around here.

About celebrating Christmas in January - it's because of differences between Julian and Gregorian church calendars. Historically Russians were mainly Orthodox (nowadays many of them still are - Russians are very religious). Orthodox church uses julian calendar, and both Protestant and Catholic churches use Gregorian calendar.

Reactions: Dickens' Ghost

Mark Nash

Charles Dickens' Editor
MMC Lifer
Jan 11, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome Margaret.

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019