Thanksgiving 2020 Thread

SharonK

Christmas Fanatic
MMC Lifer
Jun 23, 2019
Ontario Canada
I celebrate "Fall Back" and the end of Daylight Savings too! I also have a list of bi-annual chores and prepping for winter tasks that I do that weekend. Definitely an unofficial milestone! 60 days! Wow!
I never thought of making it a chore week-end. Good idea. I really don't see what the difference was in the fall back by jumping it ahead a couple of days. It was always around Halloween. It's not much different now. We still lose daylight. lol. Actually it means we are that much closer to the season so that's a good thing.! Enjoy your afternoon DecemberisComing ! :)

Reactions: Edge612 and Rich

SharonK

Christmas Fanatic
MMC Lifer
Jun 23, 2019
Ontario Canada
I still have two organic turkey breasts in the freezer. I'm giving one to my sister-in-law Monday and I'll thaw out the other for me.

For the past few years, I've just ordered the complete cooked dinner from Whole Foods. It isn't cheap but very little work heating and serving. I order two pies from Gold Belly.

My brother fell again yesterday. Fortunately, it was on the grass. He was out walking and just got too tired. He has a fancy walker but my sister-in-law can't seem to make him use it.
Sorry to hear that Kim. Hope he was alright and hope your visit went well also.

Reactions: Edge612 and KimB

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
I never thought of making it a chore week-end. Good idea. I really don't see what the difference was in the fall back by jumping it ahead a couple of days. It was always around Halloween. It's not much different now. We still lose daylight. lol. Actually it means we are that much closer to the season so that's a good thing.! Enjoy your afternoon DecemberisComing ! :)

I agree about the time change bringing us closer to the season!

• Love
Reactions: Edge612 and SharonK

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Still eagerly awaiting updates on the Macy's parade. I know it's still happening; just any details about it would be really exciting.
If I remember right, details don't come out until after Nov 1. :confused:

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
COUNTDOWN TO THANKSGIVING 2020: 78 DAYS
COUNTDOWN TO NOVEMBER 2020: 53 DAYS

Happy Back to School! I saw some kids this morning walking to their bus stop. Just another sign of the times folks. We're in THE BERS! And to prove it we don't have a countdown to The Bers left. But we do have these 2: 78 days till Thanksgiving & 53 days till November. Both counts looking strong this mid-week morning. In 3 days (on Saturday) we'll reach the "Final Fifty" to November as we reach the 50-day marker to that amazing day. Now for today it's a Wednesday so you may want a little extra coffee. Although since Monday was a holiday it feels like a Tuesday. But in reality tomorrow is Thursday which means poll day here. Confused yet? Good me too. Have a great Back to School!​

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
COUNTDOWN TO THANKSGIVING 2020: 77 DAYS
COUNTDOWN TO NOVEMBER 2020: 52 DAYS

Happy Double Digits September! We are solidly 10 days into The Bers now (the most wonderful time of year). The great thing is The Bers last 122 days so we have PLENTY of time to go and the best stuff ahead like the following: 77 days till Thanksgiving & 52 days till November. It's Thursday so as always I'll give you the Weekly Count to Thanksgiving which stands now at double 1's (11). Yikes! And our next milestone is the "Final Fifty" in 2 days on Saturday when we reach the 50 Day Marker to November. Now since it's Thursday it's time for a poll. See below!
If you had to give up ONE Thanksgiving food item which would it be?
A - The Turkey
B - Potatoes
C - Cranberry Sauce
D - Stuffing
E - Other

I'm going with D (stuffing). I' not a big stuffing guy. If you choose E please let us know the item you have every year but wouldn't really care if you didn't. Have a great Double Digits September!​

Ddeby

Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
MMC Member
Jul 7, 2012
New Hampshire
That's tough since I love them all, but I would go without B - potatoes. Potatoes plus stuffing is too many carbs, and I figure I can have potatoes any old day.

Happy Double Digits September! We are solidly 10 days into The Bers now (the most wonderful time of year). The great thing is The Bers last 122 days so we have PLENTY of time to go and the best stuff ahead like the following: 77 days till Thanksgiving & 52 days till November. It's Thursday so as always I'll give you the Weekly Count to Thanksgiving which stands now at double 1's (11). Yikes! And our next milestone is the "Final Fifty" in 2 days on Saturday when we reach the 50 Day Marker to November. Now since it's Thursday it's time for a poll. See below!
A - The Turkey
B - Potatoes
C - Cranberry Sauce
D - Stuffing
E - Other

I'm going with D (stuffing). I' not a big stuffing guy. If you choose E please let us know the item you have every year but wouldn't really care if you didn't. Have a great Double Digits September!​

Reactions: Edge612

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Mine would be C also.
I can't ever remember seeing it on the the table in my lifetime.
I guess my family just didn't like it.

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia

A - The Turkey
B - Potatoes
C - Cranberry Sauce
D - Stuffing
E - Other

I have to say "D". I love everything else on that list except for Stuffing!!!

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
Pretty divisive answers on the poll this week! I am going to go with C. I have never liked cranberry sauce (out of the can). I gotta keep turkey, of course, and I gotta keep potatoes because they're like the sponge to soak up all the goodness left on the plate. I also have to keep stuffing because my wife makes delicious stuffing. If I had an option E to give up then I'd easily give up green bean casserole forever.

KimB

North Pole's Auditor
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 19, 2019
DB Shores, Florida

A - The Turkey
B - Potatoes
C - Cranberry Sauce
D - Stuffing
E - Other

Stuffing.

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois

A - The Turkey
B - Potatoes
C - Cranberry Sauce
D - Stuffing
E - Other

If forced to do so, I would give up Cranberry Sauce, but it would be missed. 11 weeks is so exciting! Happy Thursday everyone!

LadyLynn

The Christmas Freak
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 22, 2020
Riverton, Utah
I would go with E, my family always has coleslaw--why because we have always had coleslaw. I am not even sure anyone even eats it and does coleslaw even go with turkey.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
COUNTDOWN TO THANKSGIVING 2020: 76 DAYS
COUNTDOWN TO NOVEMBER 2020: 51 DAYS

Happy September TGIF! First of all, we know it's 9-11 so of course never forget that. And never forget the following 2 counts which are hard to forget because we talk about them every single day: 76 days till Thanksgiving & 51 days till November. Ok so TOMORROW we reach our "Final Fifty" as a big milestone reaches us on a Saturday with the countdown to November. Now that is going to be really fun and exciting for sure. I love milestones and milestones on the weekends are only even better to me. Thanks for the answers on the polls. We got a good variety of votes yesterday which always makes for a fun read. We can all have our own opinions here! Have a great September TGIF!​

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Wow! Look at those numbers.
I think it's time to go get some baking supplies and get ready for the upcoming season.
Every year during the week of Thanksgiving, I bake 400-500 homemade chocolate chip cookies. Then me and the kids will eat them all the way thru the new year. We go thru a lot of milk during that period. And now with just one adult child living at home, those cookies last a lot longer.

This was last year's stash.
Photo Nov 22, 2 07 00 PM.jpg

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image