What are you doing today? (In preparation for Thanksgiving?)

Courtney

Makin' A Comeback!
MMC Lifer
Jul 21, 2008
Home
What are you doing today in preparation for Thanksgiving? I got all of my house cleaning done yesterday, so today I'm going to bake my pumpkin pies, pumpkin bread, and 1 of 2 turkeys. The more I do today, the less I have to do tomorrow.

Are you the host or a guest? Are you baking / cooking any goodies on this Thanksgiving Day Eve?

:march:

snowflake22

*Harlowe's Mom*
MMC Lifer
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 10, 2011
Wisconsin
What are you doing today in preparation for Thanksgiving? I got all of my house cleaning done yesterday, so today I'm going to bake my pumpkin pies, pumpkin bread, and 1 of 2 turkeys. The more I do today, the less I have to do tomorrow.

Are you the host or a guest? Are you baking / cooking any goodies on this Thanksgiving Day Eve?

:march:

Hey Courtney!
Happy Thanksgiving!! =]

We are guests, and I made a pumpkin pie this morning, and will be making green bean casserole at my parents house tomorrow morning. We have it easy this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
I'm playing host this year so I started early. I made my pumpkin rolls last week and froze them. Then laid them out this morning. I cut up all of my celery and onions and boiled my eggs on Monday. Then yesterday I made my macaroni salad. Then today I've finished cleaning the apartment, baked the pies, made my baked corn, made up the cole slaw, and made my butterfinger dessert. Later tonight I will make my stuffing and get the turkey ready to go in the oven early tomorrow morning so it will be ready for lunch.

So tomorrow the only labor intensive thing I have to do is make the homemade mashed potatoes. The other few dishes are really just opening cans and mixing stuff together.

Courtney

Makin' A Comeback!
MMC Lifer
Jul 21, 2008
Home
Wow! Busy, busy! You've got me beat! My turkey and my pies are done, and my pumpkin bread is in the oven now. Tomorrow it will be another turkey in the roaster, mac n' cheese, corn, etc, and my sister is making the mashed potatoes, so I will be able to sleep in a little bit, and also be off my feet quite a bit, which will be nice.

Hope you all have a lovely holiday! Happy Thanksgiving, MMC family!
:family:

HollyJolly

Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Jul 10, 2013
Christmas Station
www.twitter.com
Does eating fresh chocolate chip cookies for breakfast count? :D

MarthaK

Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Sep 5, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I am anxiously looking forward to this year's holiday. Each year, I get the itch to add some salad plates and serving pieces from the Friendly Village to my basic white china set. This year, I'm also surfing eBay looking at turkey platters; a number of them are just gorgeous!
(http://www.wayfair.com/Johnson-Brot...116900473740&gclid=CLubpYLdwcgCFYMYHwodBW8F5A)

Other than that, I have tracked down the day the Hallmark Channel next airs "The Thanksgiving House," one of my favorites. I am disappointed that it's not available on DVD yet.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I am anxiously looking forward to this year's holiday. Each year, I get the itch to add some salad plates and serving pieces from the Friendly Village to my basic white china set. This year, I'm also surfing eBay looking at turkey platters; a number of them are just gorgeous!
(http://www.wayfair.com/Johnson-Brot...116900473740&gclid=CLubpYLdwcgCFYMYHwodBW8F5A)

Other than that, I have tracked down the day the Hallmark Channel next airs "The Thanksgiving House," one of my favorites. I am disappointed that it's not available on DVD yet.

I'm so glad you bumped up this thread! Reading it made me really excited for Thanksgiving!
I love the "Friendly Village" - very pretty!
I don't know if you ever watch movies on Youtube, but The Thanksgiving House (full movie) is available there:

My sisters/mom & I were discussing Thanksgiving last night. My sister is going to host. My oldest sister offered to make the turkey - (a job my Dad ALWAYS did :() She has a friend who has connections & is getting her a fresh Amish turkey. I don't think I have ever had fresh turkey before - always frozen. I'm kind of excited to try! My oldest sis always makes the homemade pumpkin pies but since she will be making the turkey, we are going to ask the Amish lady who is staying with my uncle (caring for him) if she would make our pumpkin pies for us. She is an amazing cook! It will be an interesting Thanksgiving!

XmasDreams

North Pole Network Help
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
ATC Alum
Sep 13, 2010
Huntland, Tn
The thing i am doing today to prepare for thanksgiving is reading the November edition of Food Network magazine.

snowflake22

*Harlowe's Mom*
MMC Lifer
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 10, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm looking up new recipes to try, and local wine pairings

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
The thing i am doing today to prepare for thanksgiving is reading the November edition of Food Network magazine.
Which reminds me - I haven't looked at my Thanksgiving Taste Of Home yet!! I'm saving for a time when I can lounge at home & read it. LOL The Food Network holiday mags are always good too!!! ENJOY!

Reactions: MarthaK and MsRose

MarthaK

Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Sep 5, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Ah! the link is dead - the YouTube account has been terminated. I had the movie saved on my DVR, but since it last aired I changed service providers and will have to wait until November 5th then re-record The Thanksgiving House.

Today I am off to buy a new package of cheese cloth, then I will have everything I need to start baking fruitcake. I have baked one every year for a couple of decades now, sharing it with family and fruitcake-loving friends. The list is so long these days I am now up to baking two of them.

As for Thanksgiving recipies, I have locked-in:
* orange-bourbon turkey (turkey is maranaded in bourbon, molassas and oranges before roasting)
* cranberries, rolls, stuffing
* brussells sprouts tossed in sesame oil, sprinkled with sesame seeds and broiled in the oven
* green bean casserole
* pearl onion bake: a can of pearl onions drained then tossed with a can of cream of celery soup, a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and a cup of cashews, baked until hot and golden on top (it goes in the 350 degree oven with the green bean casserole.)
* sweet potatoes if it's just me and my mom, mashed potatoes and gravy if there is a man at the table who requires them to feel welcome.
* and layered pear- cream cheese mold because no holiday is complete without some from of molded lime Jello and this is the one we look forward to every Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.
* pumpkin pie and bourbon-pecan pie
* fresh fruit salad (diced apples, green grapes, bananas, diced pears with pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, & mini marshmallows tossed in a spoonful of orange juice consentrate.)

I love trying new recipies, but do that in the weeks leading up to the holiday, adding them to the holiday dinner only after I've made it often enough that it's a seamless addition to the table. That makes every week a little like Thanksgiving!

Reactions: Holiday

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Ah! the link is dead - the YouTube account has been terminated. I had the movie saved on my DVR, but since it last aired I changed service providers and will have to wait until November 5th then re-record The Thanksgiving House.

Today I am off to buy a new package of cheese cloth, then I will have everything I need to start baking fruitcake. I have baked one every year for a couple of decades now, sharing it with family and fruitcake-loving friends. The list is so long these days I am now up to baking two of them.

As for Thanksgiving recipies, I have locked-in:
* orange-bourbon turkey (turkey is maranaded in bourbon, molassas and oranges before roasting)
* cranberries, rolls, stuffing
* brussells sprouts tossed in sesame oil, sprinkled with sesame seeds and broiled in the oven
* green bean casserole
* pearl onion bake: a can of pearl onions drained then tossed with a can of cream of celery soup, a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and a cup of cashews, baked until hot and golden on top (it goes in the 350 degree oven with the green bean casserole.)
* sweet potatoes if it's just me and my mom, mashed potatoes and gravy if there is a man at the table who requires them to feel welcome.
* and layered pear- cream cheese mold because no holiday is complete without some from of molded lime Jello and this is the one we look forward to every Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.
* pumpkin pie and bourbon-pecan pie
* fresh fruit salad (diced apples, green grapes, bananas, diced pears with pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, & mini marshmallows tossed in a spoonful of orange juice consentrate.)

I love trying new recipies, but do that in the weeks leading up to the holiday, adding them to the holiday dinner only after I've made it often enough that it's a seamless addition to the table. That makes every week a little like Thanksgiving!
Well that's a bummer. I was watching it yesterday. There are several full Thanksgiving House - full movie links on youtube if you just go there & search for it. Hopefully you can find it.
*I just tried again, I can still watch it...

Everything you are making sounds amazing!!! The orange bourban turkey really sounds great! I'll be over! ;)

Reactions: snowflake22

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio

commomom

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Christmas Talk Alum
Aug 21, 2015
southern tier,ny
Gathering my guest list, started contacting family this week to see who will be making the trip out for Thanksgivng as they are all in MA and I am in NY. Already know the basics of what the menu will be other than any food allergy adjustments if needed.

novelist

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2007
connecticut
We will have a small gathering, just myself, my husband middle SS and Dil, and SS may invite a friend.Now that Halloween is over, I've decorated for Thanksgiving, and am concentrating on my menu for Thanksgiving, I haven't bought the turkey yet, but we've been watching the store flyers.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image