Happy Thanksgiving Of Memories And Blessings

angelpugs

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Dec 10, 2010
North Adams, MA
Wanted to start a little Thanksgiving cheer and wanted to see how many are going to spend the Thanksgiving holiday and what you may be serving if your doing the dinner in your home.Also to put a little spin on this what are you thankful for and if you like share a Thanksgiving memory with us,just what makes Thanksgiving special to you.

angelpugs

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Dec 10, 2010
North Adams, MA
I'll start this off,as i grew up in the mountians and when fall came to those mountians it was such a feeling,as i remember my grandmother and my mother getting things set for that special day.My grandmother cooked down pumpkins for her amazing pumpkin pies and my mother cut up apples which we picked for her apple pies and she would make her own applesauce.We grew up simply as we had big gardens that grew many wonderful vegetables and oh,the blackcap bushes which we always had fresh berries,have to say Thanksgiving the house smelled so good all those wonderful scents of pumpkin and spices and those warm apple pies.We were thankful for our family and what was provided in ways a bit of Waltons feel as with us there were eight kids and we each took part in the Thanksgiving festivities,guess that is what has stuck with me that closeness of family.This Thanksgiving i'm very thankful for my family as i am so blessed with what has been provided and blessed by my family here on MMC,i still have Thanksgiving in somewhat the same way as i too cook pumpkins down for pies and i pick apples for all baking and i do my turkey the same way it's in the oven at 4:30 am just like mom and grandma did.

tbutler

Tim Butler, North Pole IT Consultant
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 1, 2010
My family and I host Thanksgiving, and it is usually limited to my children and their spouses (if they elect to join us instead of spending it with the other parents) and my mother with her dog. We prepare a traditional menu of Amish turkey, potatoes, corn, green beans, stuffing (my wife's family recipe), and my wife's made from scratch dinner rolls. Dessert is my cheesecake, which is pretty special. I make it only a couple of times a year - once for our Thanksgiving dinner and once for my wife's family's Christmas party.

Another family tradition - Although I am a Christmas year round kind of guy, Thanksgiving marks the "official" beginning of the Christmas season at our house. My wife will finally allow Christmas carols, which we start playing right after watching the Thanksgiving Day parades on TV. We bought the Time Life Treasury of Christmas when we were first married 30 years ago. One of the best purchases we ever made. Also, the mantle clock gets switched over on Thanksgiving so that it plays Christmas carols at the top of each hour.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Great topic! We normally take turns hosting Thanksgiving on my side. We always have supper with my family on Thanksgiving day. We normally go to my in-laws for lunch! It's a big day of eating! I hosted my family last year & we haven't even started discussing yet who will be hosting this year. It is one of my favorite holidays to host, except for the fact that when hosting I have to wait to put up my tree!
Our main dish is always turkey. Smoked turkey & traditional baked turkey. My oldest sister makes the homemade pumpkin pies. The rest of us change what we make from year to year. A lot of times I make pumpkin roll, sausage dressing, or sweet potato soufflé & every year I make a meat/cheese tray shaped like a turkey & a bread cornucopia stuffed with cheese chunks & snack sausages. One of my sisters always makes the traditional homemade dressing as well! What else? Oh, homemade mashed potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole. Now that many of my nieces/nephews are married, they are all bringing a snack or a side dish as well. Always WAY. TOO. MUCH. FOOD!
Backing up - I like to start my day watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade....which sometimes gets cut short b/c we have to leave for the in-laws - and they NEVER have the parade on! :( I try to hold off leaving until after Santa makes his appearance!
Both sides we browse through the black Friday ads. Guys are watching football. I'm normally in the kitchen with the girls but we pop in to check on the games too! If it's nice we like to take a walk after supper.
And then it's time for comfy clothes & the couch & if I didn't have time to watch Miracle on 34th Street during the day, I watch it until I can't fight the over-eating sleepies anymore!

Reactions: Christmas-A-Holic

angelpugs

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Dec 10, 2010
North Adams, MA
That's wonderful Holiday the Macy's Parade is a must here that's the main tradition,everyone sits down as we wait for santa to arrive.+i

Reactions: Holiday

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
That's wonderful Holiday the Macy's Parade is a must here that's the main tradition,everyone sits down as we wait for santa to arrive.+i
@stars

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
I love this topic!

I'll start this off,as i grew up in the mountians and when fall came to those mountians it was such a feeling,as i remember my grandmother and my mother getting things set for that special day.My grandmother cooked down pumpkins for her amazing pumpkin pies and my mother cut up apples which we picked for her apple pies and she would make her own applesauce.We grew up simply as we had big gardens that grew many wonderful vegetables and oh,the blackcap bushes which we always had fresh berries,have to say Thanksgiving the house smelled so good all those wonderful scents of pumpkin and spices and those warm apple pies.We were thankful for our family and what was provided in ways a bit of Waltons feel as with us there were eight kids and we each took part in the Thanksgiving festivities,guess that is what has stuck with me that closeness of family.This Thanksgiving i'm very thankful for my family as i am so blessed with what has been provided and blessed by my family here on MMC,i still have Thanksgiving in somewhat the same way as i too cook pumpkins down for pies and i pick apples for all baking and i do my turkey the same way it's in the oven at 4:30 am just like mom and grandma did.

Your story is very nice! I never got to experience a wonderful Thanksgiving like that, sounds like a scene from Norman Rockwell!

My family and I host Thanksgiving, and it is usually limited to my children and their spouses (if they elect to join us instead of spending it with the other parents) and my mother with her dog. We prepare a traditional menu of Amish turkey, potatoes, corn, green beans, stuffing (my wife's family recipe), and my wife's made from scratch dinner rolls. Dessert is my cheesecake, which is pretty special. I make it only a couple of times a year - once for our Thanksgiving dinner and once for my wife's family's Christmas party.

Another family tradition - Although I am a Christmas year round kind of guy, Thanksgiving marks the "official" beginning of the Christmas season at our house. My wife will finally allow Christmas carols, which we start playing right after watching the Thanksgiving Day parades on TV. We bought the Time Life Treasury of Christmas when we were first married 30 years ago. One of the best purchases we ever made. Also, the mantle clock gets switched over on Thanksgiving so that it plays Christmas carols at the top of each hour.

That is the same for me, Thanksgiving being the kick-off to Christmas. In a way, for us, Thanksgiving is Part 1 of Christmas!

I LOVE Time Life Treasury Christmas! It was approximately 25-30 years ago as well when I first purchased it, first it was the cassette tape then I bought the CD when it came out. I still have the CD and out of every Christmas collection of music I have, that one is my very favorite!

Great topic! We normally take turns hosting Thanksgiving on my side. We always have supper with my family on Thanksgiving day. We normally go to my in-laws for lunch! It's a big day of eating! I hosted my family last year & we haven't even started discussing yet who will be hosting this year. It is one of my favorite holidays to host, except for the fact that when hosting I have to wait to put up my tree!
Our main dish is always turkey. Smoked turkey & traditional baked turkey. My oldest sister makes the homemade pumpkin pies. The rest of us change what we make from year to year. A lot of times I make pumpkin roll, sausage dressing, or sweet potato soufflé & every year I make a meat/cheese tray shaped like a turkey & a bread cornucopia stuffed with cheese chunks & snack sausages. One of my sisters always makes the traditional homemade dressing as well! What else? Oh, homemade mashed potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole. Now that many of my nieces/nephews are married, they are all bringing a snack or a side dish as well. Always WAY. TOO. MUCH. FOOD!
Backing up - I like to start my day watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade....which sometimes gets cut short b/c we have to leave for the in-laws - and they NEVER have the parade on! :( I try to hold off leaving until after Santa makes his appearance!
Both sides we browse through the black Friday ads. Guys are watching football. I'm normally in the kitchen with the girls but we pop in to check on the games too! If it's nice we like to take a walk after supper.
And then it's time for comfy clothes & the couch & if I didn't have time to watch Miracle on 34th Street during the day, I watch it until I can't fight the over-eating sleepies anymore!

Oh no!!!!!!!!! You. Must. Stay. Tuned. For.....SANTA!!!!!!!! Ha ha! If you joined me at my house, not only do you watch Santa make his appearance but you jump up and down like a kid and scream, cheer and shout! My family has gotten use to my antics. I love that you shape meat/cheese into a turkey and make a bread cornucopia stuffed with goodies! Very nice!

Absolutely!!! :)

-------------------------------

Now for my Thanksgiving tradition. (I think I have shared this before somewhere on the forum but don't mind sharing it again here). The day before I prepare a lot of the foods and on Thanksgiving morning the turkey goes in the oven. I tune into the Today Show to watch all the pre-Macy's Thanksgiving preparations. Can't miss the ribbon cutting as the parade begins! As the parade is going, I am in and out of the kitchen preparing everything for our company but I have full view of the parade while doing so. Hubby is busy right along with me. Whoever is at my house at the end of the parade MUST join me for the grand finale while I jump for joy as Santa shows up! For sure the hubby is there watching me go crazy. Ha ha! I am so determined to not miss it or have any distractions that I usually plan for company to show up AFTER the parade is over. Seems that I am the only all into the parade and if company is there early they keep me busy and I miss it! Ha ha! Okay, I don't kick anyone out for being there early but they gotta let me have full focus on Santa's arrival! :)

The parade is over and company arrives. We usually have up to 20 people over and have our traditional Thanksgiving meal - turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and so on. We have several pies, snacks, cheese, meats, crackers, olives, pickles and more. Some of our company brings goodies as well.

When lunch is finished up we play Bingo. We give out prizes to the winners. This has been a Thanksgiving tradition for over 30 years. We all look forward to Thanksgiving Bingo!

By the time we finish up with Bingo it's time for the DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!!!! I have been a die hard Cowboys fan my entire life! Here's another time when I am jumping up and down cheering, hoping my Boys win!

When the game is over company leaves and me and hubby curl up for whatever Christmas specials they are airing and/or Christmas movies. Then off to sleep to get ready for Black Friday, only we don't go out to shop, we go out for all the fun Christmas festivities that our mall has. Ice Skating Santa show at the Galleria, musicians and other fun. That's another subject but all part of our Thanksgiving weekend!

Can't wait for Thanksgiving!

Reactions: tbutler and Holiday

angelpugs

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Dec 10, 2010
North Adams, MA
Christmas - A- Holic it is as i grew up with the Norman Rockwell time as my parents loved him and growing up my parents instilled that spirit, that time in me and our christmases are the same it's that spirit that lives on in your heart as i am proud to say his son is my neighbor and my friend.I'll share a picture of this wonderous place where i spent alot of time growing up and growing up with an amazing man who is what christmas means to me.51X4KB2EZ0L__AC_UL320_SR280,320_.jpg

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Now for my Thanksgiving tradition. (I think I have shared this before somewhere on the forum but don't mind sharing it again here). The day before I prepare a lot of the foods and on Thanksgiving morning the turkey goes in the oven. I tune into the Today Show to watch all the pre-Macy's Thanksgiving preparations. Can't miss the ribbon cutting as the parade begins! As the parade is going, I am in and out of the kitchen preparing everything for our company but I have full view of the parade while doing so. Hubby is busy right along with me. Whoever is at my house at the end of the parade MUST join me for the grand finale while I jump for joy as Santa shows up! For sure the hubby is there watching me go crazy. Ha ha! I am so determined to not miss it or have any distractions that I usually plan for company to show up AFTER the parade is over. Seems that I am the only all into the parade and if company is there early they keep me busy and I miss it! Ha ha! Okay, I don't kick anyone out for being there early but they gotta let me have full focus on Santa's arrival! :)

The parade is over and company arrives. We usually have up to 20 people over and have our traditional Thanksgiving meal - turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and so on. We have several pies, snacks, cheese, meats, crackers, olives, pickles and more. Some of our company brings goodies as well.

When lunch is finished up we play Bingo. We give out prizes to the winners. This has been a Thanksgiving tradition for over 30 years. We all look forward to Thanksgiving Bingo!

By the time we finish up with Bingo it's time for the DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!!!! I have been a die hard Cowboys fan my entire life! Here's another time when I am jumping up and down cheering, hoping my Boys win!

When the game is over company leaves and me and hubby curl up for whatever Christmas specials they are airing and/or Christmas movies. Then off to sleep to get ready for Black Friday, only we don't go out to shop, we go out for all the fun Christmas festivities that our mall has. Ice Skating Santa show at the Galleria, musicians and other fun. That's another subject but all part of our Thanksgiving weekend!

Can't wait for Thanksgiving!

Love it! Sounds like a fantastic day!

Reactions: Christmas-A-Holic

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image