Canned Sweet Potato

mommytotwo

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Oct 3, 2009
My friend had sent me a can of sweet potato-just like how you have canned pumpkin puree. I wanted to make a sweet potato pie. Does anyone have a simple yet great recipe?

Seawaters

MMC Christmas Angel 1954-2020
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 8, 2008
California
www.southernchristmasnights.com
I do my sweet potato pie just like my grandmother: I mix it for pumpkin pie BUT do not put in the pumpkin pie spices. Instead, use vanilla flavoring! (I start with at least one tablespoon of vanilla and add more if I think it needs it!) I have also made it using eggnog. And I have used sweetened condensed milk, too.

My friend had sent me a can of sweet potato-just like how you have canned pumpkin puree. I wanted to make a sweet potato pie. Does anyone have a simple yet great recipe?

JAboc

Reindeer Pooper Scooper
MMC Lifer
Jul 24, 2007
Virginia Beach, Virginia USA
From AllRecipes.com

Ingredients

• 1 (1 pound) sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Directions

1. Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin.
  2. Break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools.

(Comment regarding canned sweet-potatoes)
"I was looking for a fast, easy, sweet potato pie to bake for a church function, and came across this one. I read about 50 of the reviews and decided it was the one I would make, but was surprised that not one of the reviews mentioned substituting canned sweet potatoes. I didn't have an hour to bake or boil the potatoes, so I used a 17.2 oz can of sweet potatoes instead of 1 pound of fresh. I didn't even warm them so they would be similar to the cooked, fresh sweet potatoes! I just opened the can, drained them, and threw them in the mixing bowl with the softened butter. I had to mix with electric mixer for a while until most of the lumps were out, but then just followed the recipe as written. I added just a little more milk since the can was a little over 1 lb. The pie was great, and saved me over an hour of prep time."

--

I've personally made this and it turned out great. Especially with Thanksgiving coming up I will be making 1-2 of these for dinner.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image