Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
It's a Wonderful Life
It’s a Wonderful Life premiered in New York City at Christmastime in 1946, making it 75 years old in 2021. Originally slated for a 1947 release the movie’s premiere was moved up so that it could compete for the 1946 Academy Awards. It was, in fact, nominated for six Oscars but won only one – …

Read more…

The post Celebrating 75 Years of It’s a Wonderful Life appeared first on My Merry Christmas.

Continue reading on MyMerryChristmas.com

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
This and White Christmas are my favorites and a must watch every year!

Reactions: MightyJuan

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
Can you believe I'm 38 and I haven't seen this movie?
You absolutely need to. Granted, it's not for everyone. I'm only a year older than you but I love it - definitely in my top 5 favorite movies of all time. That being said, I know a number of people who just can't stand it for some reason, my brother being one of those people.

Then again, I don't like "A Christmas Story," so different strokes for different folks, eh?

MightyJuan

Merry Forums Newbie
MMC Member
Jul 13, 2020
Bogotá, Colombia
Exactly.

Well, maybe it's because I'm not much of a fan of black & white movies and also the fact that this film in particular is not very popular in my country (Colombia), so I didn't have the chance to watch it while growing up.

When I was a child, the most popular movies we watched from American TV via cable were National Lampoon's Christmas, Home Alone (Of course), Scrooged, A Christmas Story, and others. And I loved them all.. well, I haven't seen a Christmas Story either lol.

Reactions: LadyLynn

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Exactly.

Well, maybe it's because I'm not much of a fan of black & white movies and also the fact that this film in particular is not very popular in my country (Colombia), so I didn't have the chance to watch it while growing up.

When I was a child, the most popular movies we watched from American TV via cable were National Lampoon's Christmas, Home Alone (Of course), Scrooged, A Christmas Story, and others. And I loved them all.. well, I haven't seen a Christmas Story either lol.
Juan, I hope you can overcome your dislike for black-and-white Christmas movies, because they're some of the best! To be fair, I guess it's different when you didn't grow up with vintage B&W films on TV. I cut my teeth on the Little Rascals, Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, the Blondie series, the Marx Brothers, and so many others.

If you can't stomach "It's a Wonderful Life" in B&W, there is a colorized version available that was nicely done. It's well worth seeing. Ditto "Holiday Inn" and "Miracle on 34th Street" (the original version).

Reactions: LadyLynn

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
Thanks! I'll watch "It's a Wonderful Life" over the weekend. I love anything related to Christmas and maybe give the other black and white movies a try ;)

I've heard wonderful things about "Miracle on 34th Street" also
"Miracle on 34th Street" is also excellent. It's especially great to watch on Thanksgiving Day.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image