Christmas Countdown - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
TGIF MMC! A dozen days into April now. I'm glad it's Friday. Each week definitely seems long by the time we make it to Friday despite the fact they go fast. Other than that I hope you're all doing well and enjoying it being Friday. Have a great kickoff to your weekend later today!

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
We got hit with snow on Wednesday and it has stuck and it’s depressing at this time of year.

We have mixed snow with freezing rain - uggh; the winds are strong, but most of the snow is melting away. I can still see piles of snow everywhere and on the slanted roof on the Senior townhouses across the creek; lots of dusty sand roaming about yesterday and as I recall the weather at this point last year was much more spring-like. I can hardly wait for the city to start mending all the potholes that have me apologizing to my car every few blocks. I avoid the routes with the worst of them if at all possible.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Good Thursday morning, Christmas friends!

The golf cart saga continues. I keep ordering and installing parts, and I keep finding more parts that have to be replaced. Nancy's going to KILL me.

I went to a Rotary Club meeting yesterday at lunch, to hear Elizabeth's school chorus sing for their entertainment. What a wonderful job they did! People I'd never met before were telling me how beautiful Elizabeth's solo was. Proud!

I hope y'all have a great day! :D

Sometimes when I attend concerts and plays starring youth, I find myself looking around the audience for those proud parent faces because I want to experience their joy not just the performance. Glad it went well.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
God Bless you all, Auntie. Continued prayers - I've been thinking of you. (((Hugs)))

Thank you very much; I was thankful that /1 son and his wife came to the hospital at 4:00 a.m. on Thursday morning and read his charts and gave me a positive outlook. By the time they returned the next morning, he was already looking better and P.T. was working with him.
It`s difficult for me to be a caregiver when people have differing opinions of how it should be - the doctor and the O.T. in the ER were telling me my home wasn`t safe, but it totally is once they get the hospital bed in there. He isn`t ready for a home and the cost of those places isn`t something we can handle on top of my rent. But it comes down to him wanting to be in a familiar environment and I know he will get better here as opposed to being with strangers, some who are worse off than he is medically speaking.
He must have known something was going on because he called his ex-wife on Tuesday night and was reminiscing with her about things and even brought up the conception of their first son on a train - in a `birthing car`. I said, `Honey, you`re making her a bit uncomfortable not to mention me.`` But I am secure enough in our relationship to let that happen. I told the boys they could bring her here over the weekend to see him, but he`s not dying, he`s just unwell and needs time to figure out what`s wrong so we can fix him up.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Well, it appears I have updated things simply by replying to a few posts.

Hospital half work day and taxes - not much more happening - laundry and other tasks tomorrow and back to the hospital.

The good news here is that number 1 son and his wife and three of the grandchildren are coming on Monday to visit with him while I continue my plans to go to Toronto for my much needed battery recharge with Jazz, blues and swing music; 20 bands in 10 rooms.

Number 2 son and possibly his son who will be in his last year of high school next year and strongly leaning toward become an architect will be coming to visit over the weekend, possibly bring Val - the ex with whom I have made friends with over the years.

Take care and stay jolly! :ornarment

SnowflakeMom

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
GM MMC and happy Friday!! I am off Monday-Wednesday next week because my kids have spring break so I am trying to finish everything up....it will be nice to be off work for a few days. No real plans for the weekend...looking forward to relaxing a bit. Hope you all have a wonderful Friday!

He_Is_Born

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Jul 13, 2016
Elkridge Maryland

Hospital half work day and taxes - not much more happening - laundry and other tasks tomorrow and back to the hospital.

The good news here is that number 1 son and his wife and three of the grandchildren are coming on Monday to visit with him while I continue my plans to go to Toronto for my much needed battery recharge with Jazz, blues and swing music; 20 bands in 10 rooms.

Number 2 son and possibly his son who will be in his last year of high school next year and strongly leaning toward become an architect will be coming to visit over the weekend, possibly bring Val - the ex with whom I have made friends with over the years.

Wow. The both of you have been going through a horrible patch. Prayers are being said for healing and strength.
Stay strong - HIB

Bradmac

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2008
Bellville, GA
Thank goodness you posted about your taxes; I nearly forgot I have an appointment this afternoon to have mine done.

I totally get how your FIL doesn't take to the walker each time; there's something "in them" that makes them think they are stronger one day than they were the day previous. My husband uses a rolator (wheeled walker with brakes), but has a cane for short distances. Nothing to do with arthritis, but the same chance of falling without using his aids could result in serious injury. He is still on the frail side so if he breaks a hip; they estimate 3 months recovery depending on the severity of it and they wouldn't likely let him return home. Even now they don't think he is safe here, but trying to make it work out.

A few days back, he tried to get to the washroom using the walls for balance; took him ten minutes and then I heard him go down and call for help. I was already up before he called for help. He has a commode in the bedroom, but was determined to get to the "real toilet". He was lucky that fall only resulted in a small skin tear on the elbow and another bruise on his back.

Wednesday, he fell around 10:00 and he was alone. I came home to check on him because he didn't answer the phone. He was on the floor, there was blood on the kitchen floor, but he was over on the other end halfway in the dining room and half on the living room carpet; the rolator was nearby. He banged his pretty good, but I managed to doctor him up. He seemed fine and he was hungry so he had half a thick tuna sandwich and some green grapes.

The home care nurse arrived about 10 minutes after I left and 10 minutes later she was on the phone to 911 to have him assessed. He was acting strange and not remembering things correctly. When I got in the EMS was already there and the cat was hiding under the bed.

He kept asking for his nighttime meds and thought it was 2008. I followed the ambulance up in my car and arrived at 12:45. He is still there. He was admitted at 6:45 and at 8:00 I had returned home to get some rest and was called back up to the hospital at 9:30. He gave the doctors and nurses an awful scare. They thought he was dying so I had to go back up and stay with him through the night. They moved him to CCU and set up a cot for me to keep him company.
By then he kept switching the date from 1928 to 2028 and then back to 2008 a few times.

They gave him over 15 litres of oxygen to get him stabilized and are running a bunch of tests.

At 11:30 a.m. they sent him for x-rays and then back to the inpatient surgery ward in a semi-private quad (big space separated with two beds on both sides. Usually one nurse for two quads, but sometimes 2 quads and 2 semi-privates (that's a tough task for those nurses).
Good sign that he is in that section and doesn't need the round the clock care.
He looked much better when I was heading home.

Boy did I ever sleep lastnight. O'Malley the cat didn't even wake me up at 4:00; he let me sleep until 5:00.

I hope he slept well too; I'll be heading up there for 8:00. I bought him a TV and telephone card, but if the unit isn't close to him, he can't answer the phone. 1 son called, but he didn't answer.

I was arranging for a swallow test by speech for Thursday so they were able to do it in the hospital.

I think he'll be okay once they can figure out why the liquid he consumes is going down into his lungs instead of his stomach. There seems to be three medical things going on at the same time and none of it would have been discovered if he didn't bump his head.

The cat didn't come out of hiding until I returned that night before I went back up. He had become so nervous and blocked up that he missed the litter box and urinated all over the spill mat and there were some clumps of poop around the litter box and some inside too. I felt so bad for him. I bought him a new spill mat and set it up yesterday.

I had a short nap yesterday when they took my husband for x-rays and switching accommodations and O`Malley snuggled right down on the spare mattress with me. Last night I was in my own bed and whenever I woke up I thought it was nearly time to get him only to discover I still had plenty of time for more sleep.

Hopefully, your FIL will surrender to the idea that the walker is his "ticket out"; maybe he should give it a name so it's more friendly than foe-like.
That's so scary. Sending more prayers for y'all right now!

Crown 84

Official MMC Countmeister
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Good Morning, Weekend Thresholders.
And once again, as regular as clockwork, we find ourselves on the threshold of yet another weekend.
Weekend Eve is here again!

Now, do you feel invigorated and all ready to see the latest count numbers?
Well, here we go:
Days to the Season: 215
Days to Christmas Day: 257

Next, our Milestone markers. And there are two of them pending, back to back.
The 200-Day Season Window lurks a scant 15 days down the road. TWO WEEKS from tomorrow!
But before we reach that amazing point, we will arrive at the 1/3 Christmas Day marker, exactly TWO WEEKS from TODAY!
(Are you thoroughly invigorated, now?)

Speaking of feeling invigorated, our weather is having that effect on me, with these beautiful spring-like days marked by lots of sun, temps in the 70's, low humidity and no rain. (Zero complaints, here!)
Today however, shows an elevated chance of precipitation, with highs again in the mid 70's.
Our starting thermometer reading here this morning is 61 degrees.

Have a Fantastically Fabulous Friday, Friends.
I hope and trust your weekend will be off to a great beginning this afternoon!

Bradmac

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2008
Bellville, GA
TGIF, Christmas friends!

Nancy and I took Jacob and his girlfriend to dinner last night, and it went great. Elizabeth even joined us after her dance class, and ate half of Nancy's meal LOL. Then we did the dreaded Walmart run. We finally got home at 11pm. That's about an hour past this old man's bed time!

Elizabeth has prom this weekend, and she and Nancy have been buzzing around the house for a week, getting the dress ready, nails, hair...ugh. I'm ready for a quiet weekend!

I hope y'all have a great day! :D
-santa dance-

Martine

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 13, 2010
Canada
Thank goodness you posted about your taxes; I nearly forgot I have an appointment this afternoon to have mine done.

I totally get how your FIL doesn't take to the walker each time; there's something "in them" that makes them think they are stronger one day than they were the day previous. My husband uses a rolator (wheeled walker with brakes), but has a cane for short distances. Nothing to do with arthritis, but the same chance of falling without using his aids could result in serious injury. He is still on the frail side so if he breaks a hip; they estimate 3 months recovery depending on the severity of it and they wouldn't likely let him return home. Even now they don't think he is safe here, but trying to make it work out.

A few days back, he tried to get to the washroom using the walls for balance; took him ten minutes and then I heard him go down and call for help. I was already up before he called for help. He has a commode in the bedroom, but was determined to get to the "real toilet". He was lucky that fall only resulted in a small skin tear on the elbow and another bruise on his back.

Wednesday, he fell around 10:00 and he was alone. I came home to check on him because he didn't answer the phone. He was on the floor, there was blood on the kitchen floor, but he was over on the other end halfway in the dining room and half on the living room carpet; the rolator was nearby. He banged his pretty good, but I managed to doctor him up. He seemed fine and he was hungry so he had half a thick tuna sandwich and some green grapes.

The home care nurse arrived about 10 minutes after I left and 10 minutes later she was on the phone to 911 to have him assessed. He was acting strange and not remembering things correctly. When I got in the EMS was already there and the cat was hiding under the bed.

He kept asking for his nighttime meds and thought it was 2008. I followed the ambulance up in my car and arrived at 12:45. He is still there. He was admitted at 6:45 and at 8:00 I had returned home to get some rest and was called back up to the hospital at 9:30. He gave the doctors and nurses an awful scare. They thought he was dying so I had to go back up and stay with him through the night. They moved him to CCU and set up a cot for me to keep him company.
By then he kept switching the date from 1928 to 2028 and then back to 2008 a few times.

They gave him over 15 litres of oxygen to get him stabilized and are running a bunch of tests.

At 11:30 a.m. they sent him for x-rays and then back to the inpatient surgery ward in a semi-private quad (big space separated with two beds on both sides. Usually one nurse for two quads, but sometimes 2 quads and 2 semi-privates (that's a tough task for those nurses).

Boy did I ever sleep lastnight. O'Malley the cat didn't even wake me up at 4:00; he let me sleep until 5:00.

I hope he slept well too; I'll be heading up there for 8:00. I bought him a TV and telephone card, but if the unit isn't close to him, he can't answer the phone. 1 son called, but he didn't answer.

I was arranging for a swallow test by speech for Thursday so they were able to do it in the hospital.

I think he'll be okay once they can figure out why the liquid he consumes is going down into his lungs instead of his stomach. There seems to be three medical things going on at the same time and none of it would have been discovered if he didn't bump his head.

The cat didn't come out of hiding until I returned that night before I went back up. He had become so nervous and blocked up that he missed the litter box and urinated all over the spill mat and there were some clumps of poop around the litter box and some inside too. I felt so bad for him. I bought him a new spill mat and set it up yesterday.

I had a short nap yesterday when they took my husband for x-rays and switching accommodations and O`Malley snuggled right down on the spare mattress with me. Last night I was in my own bed and whenever I woke up I thought it was nearly time to get him only to discover I still had plenty of time for more sleep.

Hopefully, your FIL will surrender to the idea that the walker is his "ticket out"; maybe he should give it a name so it's more friendly than foe-like.

Thank you very much; I was thankful that /1 son and his wife came to the hospital at 4:00 a.m. on Thursday morning and read his charts and gave me a positive outlook. By the time they returned the next morning, he was already looking better and P.T. was working with him.
It`s difficult for me to be a caregiver when people have differing opinions of how it should be - the doctor and the O.T. in the ER were telling me my home wasn`t safe, but it totally is once they get the hospital bed in there. He isn`t ready for a home and the cost of those places isn`t something we can handle on top of my rent. But it comes down to him wanting to be in a familiar environment and I know he will get better here as opposed to being with strangers, some who are worse off than he is medically speaking.
He must have known something was going on because he called his ex-wife on Tuesday night and was reminiscing with her about things and even brought up the conception of their first son on a train - in a `birthing car`. I said, `Honey, you`re making her a bit uncomfortable not to mention me.`` But I am secure enough in our relationship to let that happen. I told the boys they could bring her here over the weekend to see him, but he`s not dying, he`s just unwell and needs time to figure out what`s wrong so we can fix him up.
What a scary moment there for you and your husband. I’m glad he is looking better and is getting good care at the hospital. I agree with you that if your husband can stay home, it helps his recovery, rather than being in a home away from you and O’Malley. Sending more positive thoughts your way Auntie.

Martine

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 13, 2010
Canada
80 degrees here today. Snowflake has 7 inches of snow with another 12 on the way. What a difference 550 miles can make.
Oh wow! Poor Snowflake being stuck in that at this time of year. I saw images of a blizzard hitting parts of the US this morning. Hope Spring finally takes hold in those areas.

Martine

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 13, 2010
Canada
Good Friday morning! I’m at the dealership having my new Summer tires installed. A big chunk of change but after 6 years, they were due. It will be a rainy day but they predict a wonderful Saturday weather-wise and I have off these two days, so I’m looking to get all the boring stuff done today so I can fully enjoy tomorrow. Have a great day everyone!

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
Good Morning, Weekend Thresholders.
And once again, as regular as clockwork, we find ourselves on the threshold of yet another weekend.
Weekend Eve is here again!

Now, do you feel invigorated and all ready to see the latest count numbers?
Well, here we go:
Days to the Season: 215
Days to Christmas Day: 257

Next, our Milestone markers. And there are two of them pending, back to back.
The 200-Day Season Window lurks a scant 15 days down the road. TWO WEEKS from tomorrow!
But before we reach that amazing point, we will arrive at the 1/3 Christmas Day marker, exactly TWO WEEKS from TODAY!
(Are you thoroughly invigorated, now?)

Speaking of feeling invigorated, our weather is having that effect on me, with these beautiful spring-like days marked by lots of sun, temps in the 70's, low humidity and no rain. (Zero complaints, here!)
Today however, shows an elevated chance of precipitation, with highs again in the mid 70's.
Our starting thermometer reading here this morning is 61 degrees.

Have a Fantastically Fabulous Friday, Friends.
I hope and trust your weekend will be off to a great beginning this afternoon!
Thanks Crown! A Dozen Days into April!

HomemakinGirl

Christmas Cookie Baking Crew
MMC Lifer
Jul 17, 2011
Long Island, New York

Please know that prayers are being said for all of you. Sending hugs your way.

HomemakinGirl

Christmas Cookie Baking Crew
MMC Lifer
Jul 17, 2011
Long Island, New York
Good morning ~
Not too much going on here. I went to the gym earlier and walked Rocky so far. I’m going to tidy up and start laundry as soon as I finish my cup of coffee. We’re going to the hockey game later tonight. I’ll probably grab a pizza for dinner to make it easier on myself. That’s about it for me. I hope everyone has a nice day and a great weekend ahead!
xx

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ

Goodness ... you have had your hands full and I pray they get his medical issues figured out quickly. My mom uses a wheeled walker in the house especially when she first gets up in the morning however she refuses to use a cane. She uses a single crutch instead to help stabilize her, her balance is awful and if she gets tired and needs a minute to recover she says its easier to lean into the crutch then a walker/cane.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA

Auntie, you're amazing to have such a positive attitude with all you're going through. Here comes a big hug, and keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image