Christmas Countdown - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrcpark

Christmas Decorator
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 15, 2018
Well, it appears I have updated things simply by replying to a few posts.

Hospital half work day and taxes - not much more happening - laundry and other tasks tomorrow and back to the hospital.

The good news here is that number 1 son and his wife and three of the grandchildren are coming on Monday to visit with him while I continue my plans to go to Toronto for my much needed battery recharge with Jazz, blues and swing music; 20 bands in 10 rooms.

Number 2 son and possibly his son who will be in his last year of high school next year and strongly leaning toward become an architect will be coming to visit over the weekend, possibly bring Val - the ex with whom I have made friends with over the years.

Take care and stay jolly! :ornarment
I'll be praying for your family as well.

Yuletide Junkie

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Jan 17, 2008
Minnesota
You know it is April Twins Baseball when this evening's game, with the Detroit Tigers, was postponed yesterday afternoon.
Yes, it be snowing...right now...for the third day in a row.

Meceka

MMC Associate Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Thank goodness you posted about your taxes; I nearly forgot I have an appointment this afternoon to have mine done.

I totally get how your FIL doesn't take to the walker each time; there's something "in them" that makes them think they are stronger one day than they were the day previous. My husband uses a rolator (wheeled walker with brakes), but has a cane for short distances. Nothing to do with arthritis, but the same chance of falling without using his aids could result in serious injury. He is still on the frail side so if he breaks a hip; they estimate 3 months recovery depending on the severity of it and they wouldn't likely let him return home. Even now they don't think he is safe here, but trying to make it work out.

A few days back, he tried to get to the washroom using the walls for balance; took him ten minutes and then I heard him go down and call for help. I was already up before he called for help. He has a commode in the bedroom, but was determined to get to the "real toilet". He was lucky that fall only resulted in a small skin tear on the elbow and another bruise on his back.

Wednesday, he fell around 10:00 and he was alone. I came home to check on him because he didn't answer the phone. He was on the floor, there was blood on the kitchen floor, but he was over on the other end halfway in the dining room and half on the living room carpet; the rolator was nearby. He banged his pretty good, but I managed to doctor him up. He seemed fine and he was hungry so he had half a thick tuna sandwich and some green grapes.

The home care nurse arrived about 10 minutes after I left and 10 minutes later she was on the phone to 911 to have him assessed. He was acting strange and not remembering things correctly. When I got in the EMS was already there and the cat was hiding under the bed.

He kept asking for his nighttime meds and thought it was 2008. I followed the ambulance up in my car and arrived at 12:45. He is still there. He was admitted at 6:45 and at 8:00 I had returned home to get some rest and was called back up to the hospital at 9:30. He gave the doctors and nurses an awful scare. They thought he was dying so I had to go back up and stay with him through the night. They moved him to CCU and set up a cot for me to keep him company.
By then he kept switching the date from 1928 to 2028 and then back to 2008 a few times.

They gave him over 15 litres of oxygen to get him stabilized and are running a bunch of tests.

At 11:30 a.m. they sent him for x-rays and then back to the inpatient surgery ward in a semi-private quad (big space separated with two beds on both sides. Usually one nurse for two quads, but sometimes 2 quads and 2 semi-privates (that's a tough task for those nurses).
Good sign that he is in that section and doesn't need the round the clock care.
He looked much better when I was heading home.

Boy did I ever sleep lastnight. O'Malley the cat didn't even wake me up at 4:00; he let me sleep until 5:00.

I hope he slept well too; I'll be heading up there for 8:00. I bought him a TV and telephone card, but if the unit isn't close to him, he can't answer the phone. 1 son called, but he didn't answer.

I was arranging for a swallow test by speech for Thursday so they were able to do it in the hospital.

I think he'll be okay once they can figure out why the liquid he consumes is going down into his lungs instead of his stomach. There seems to be three medical things going on at the same time and none of it would have been discovered if he didn't bump his head.

The cat didn't come out of hiding until I returned that night before I went back up. He had become so nervous and blocked up that he missed the litter box and urinated all over the spill mat and there were some clumps of poop around the litter box and some inside too. I felt so bad for him. I bought him a new spill mat and set it up yesterday.

I had a short nap yesterday when they took my husband for x-rays and switching accommodations and O`Malley snuggled right down on the spare mattress with me. Last night I was in my own bed and whenever I woke up I thought it was nearly time to get him only to discover I still had plenty of time for more sleep.

Hopefully, your FIL will surrender to the idea that the walker is his "ticket out"; maybe he should give it a name so it's more friendly than foe-like.

Sending many prayers up for your husband and love and hugs for you and O'Malley. {{{HUGS}}}

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Auntie, you're amazing to have such a positive attitude with all you're going through. Here comes a big hug, and keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

You should have seen the look on the social worker's face when I barely batted an eyelash when my husband zoned out right in front of him. We were having a conversation talking about power of attorney and other things. Gary was totally involved although I answered more questions than he did, but all of a sudden he had a blank look on his face like he was catatonic. I called his name, touched his shoulder, gave him a wee shake; told him to snap out of it and then pressed the button for the nurse. This has happened in the past, but he comes around within 10-20 minutes and acts as if nothing happened. When the doctor learned of this she came to speak with me and thought with all the other issues that it might be Lewi Body Dementia (Robin Williams diagnosis). Well, I lost it. They were flipping him upside down, his blood pressure dropped to 30 and it just hit me like a tidal wave. I knew there was a friend of mine on the ward working with other patients so I simply said, "I need KELLY! Get Kelly!" Another nurse fetched her and she came in and saw me and said, "Super Shawna; what's going on". She gave me a big hug and I said, "Gary's being a jerk. Looking for attention." (Not, but you know deflect and crack wise sometimes helps.) As he was coming around she went over and told him to stop being a pain in the butt. 5 minutes later he asked why the Social Worker left without saying goodbye and where his lunch was.

I had nearly forgotten about my appointment for my taxes with all the excitement and then took the fastest route I could think of and arrived 10 minutes late. No worries because we've known her along time, I used to see her at the gym a lot, but she mostly did laps in the pool.

I went back and they were treating him for arrhythmia; they also completed a form to discontinue his driver's license.

At 5:30, he ripped off the heart monitor and tried to remove the catheter saying, "That's enough of that - it's uncomfortable and I'm done with it." Not sure what's going to come of it, but he was of sound mind at the time, they can treat him, but they can't monitor him so I won't get answers about the cause of the episode. At least they ruled out Lewi Body Dementia. Or did they?

It's been rough, but I'll tell you, there were signs everyone that I was not alone in this journey. The social worker was someone I've known casually for several years as a cancer survivor and formerly with the military; retired in 2015 and works at the hospital now to act as an advocate for patients and determine a few other things and set wheels in motion for community services, etc.

When I was leaving, I bumped into someone I know through work; a former board member, but still very involved and the fellow in the next bed is a longer. She asked how I was and I said, "fine"; she said I didn't look fine that's when I realized my shield was down so I raised it up again and got back my strength.

So, back to the social worker's facial expression watching me calmly handle that dramatic experience with my husband; it's because it wasn't new to me.

That's when all my merry friends circled around me and I thought of myself as being like an aluminum Christmas tree.

The music rescued me.

I've got my super cape on; I'll get through it, but to be honest, I am waiting for the phone to ring with that dreaded call. So it's hard to be positive all the time, but he really looked "done" this time. I reminded him of his goals and then called number 2 son so they could chat on the phone and hopefully knowing they are coming to see him will help him stick around and fight a little longer.

I truly appreciate all of your good thoughts and prayers.

Crown 84

Official MMC Countmeister
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
You are facing so much, Auntie. I admire your strength.
Reminds me of our situation with both of our parents who passed away from Alzheimer's disease. It's a cascade of problems you have to take care of and get past before the next one sets in. Keeps you on your toes and is emotionally draining.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
Happy Mid-April Weekend MMC! Just wanted to say Auntie I am sorry you are facing so much right now and hope the best for you and your family. It's a cloudy morning here. But the sun should come out some this afternoon. As long as we can see some sun every weekend this spring and summer I'd be happy. Have a great Saturday!

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Sometimes when things are going wonky; little things help me smile - like the Robin singing outside the window or watching a family shopping together without using their cell phones or buying a treat for the cat and watching him enjoy it - tried him out last night and this morning with a milky textured tuna and chicken treat - he devoured and mewed his thank you.

My dad will join me up at the hospital later this morning.

Then I'm going to hopefully connect with a Real Estate agent about a ground level home; we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for your support and words of encouragement and good vibes.

Keep a merry thought in your head +i

HomemakinGirl

Christmas Cookie Baking Crew
MMC Lifer
Jul 17, 2011
Long Island, New York
Merry Saturday MMC!
It’s pouring out this morning but it’s supposed to taper off, hopefully we’ll see some sunshine this afternoon. I don’t have too much going on. I’m going food shopping soon to get that over with. Th girls are all off today so I’m going to see if I can get them all together and go out for lunch. Other than that I’ll be working on the laundry and we’re grilling burgers for dinner. That’s about it for me. I hope everyone is well and has a great weekend!
xx

Crown 84

Official MMC Countmeister
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Good Morning, Weekend Arrivers!
And yes Folks, we once again have arrived at our little end-of-the-week respite, where we can sit back, have time to think a little, assess our progress back to Christmas......and maybe enjoy a fired twinkie or two.

Well, munch away as you consider this:
Days to the Season: 214
Days to Christmas Day: 256

Now, while you sip your iced tea, further consider the following;
The 200-Day Season Window is now only 14 days up ahead. TWO WEEKS from TODAY!
And the One-Third Christmas Day Milestone is now UNDER two weeks off!
(So much to look forward when we begin to draw near the end of the month.)

Well, we had severe weather warnings out for our area yesterday evening and a tornado was spotted on the ground about 25 miles SW of us moving NE, but we saw nothing significant for our immediate area.
Today will hopefully be calmer, although the precipitation is still with us for at least today.
We commence this second weekend of April at 64 degrees here, with a light rain falling.

Have a Simply Sensational Saturday, Everyone!
Enjoy your weekend.

ballcoach

Christmasologist
MMC Lifer
Jan 1, 2017
Good morning, all!

Auntie, continued prayers for you.

Hope everyone is gearing up for Easter. Next weekend will be super busy, so we have to go make sure we have what we need this weekend. Between that and the rain, it will be pretty messy.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
And yes Folks, we once again have arrived at our little end-of-the-week respite, where we can sit back, have time to think a little, assess our progress back to Christmas......and maybe enjoy a fired twinkie or two.

Well, we had severe weather warnings out for our area yesterday evening and a tornado was spotted on the ground about 25 miles SW of us moving NE, but we saw nothing significant for our immediate area.
Today will hopefully be calmer, although the precipitation is still with us for at least today.
We commence this second weekend of April at 64 degrees here, with a light rain falling.

Enjoy your weekend.
Thanks Crown! Happy Mid-April Weekend!

Martine

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 13, 2010
Canada
Good Saturday afternoon! It’s currently sunny and +15°C/59°F. David and I went walking for almost an hour by the water at the park. I should’ve taken it easy as I’m dealing with pain in my groin area, but it was too nice of a day to pass up this opportunity to walk. Then we went for a nice car drive with Loki sticking his head out the window. Now back home I’m resting my leg as David is taking Loki out on his walk. Hope everyone is enjoying a nice weekend so far.

Christmaswarlock

Santa's Sleigh Designer
MMC Member
Nov 18, 2018
Atlanta

Enjoy your weekend.
Thanks Crown! It turned into a nice Saturday here.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Good morning, all!

Auntie, continued prayers for you.

Hope everyone is gearing up for Easter. Next weekend will be super busy, so we have to go make sure we have what we need this weekend. Between that and the rain, it will be pretty messy.

Thanks for the prayers.

I saw a woman at the grocery store buying three turkeys; I said, "Oh I like having turkey for Easter instead of ham"; she said she cooks at least one a month even for no special reason at all.

I'm going to pick up a turkey breast and make some vegetable fixings to go with it.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Well more drama - he tore out his IV and the doctor we saw in the CCU said that he didn't want any kind of heroics if anything happened. Despite me telling him that they couldn't treat him to help him get well without the tools to monitor his condition.

He thinks with all those things taken off he can come home. I told him that it was about his mobility and independence and we would work at getting him home next week with proper support from P.T.
He was so angry with me; he wanted me to help him escape.

I had to leave and I'll try again tomorrow and see if his mood has changed.

2 grandchilden, his ex and number 2 son are coming tomorrow so I hope he is passed the angry phase and ready to enjoy their company.

There are a bunch of small pine and fir trees set up at the grocery store for spring yard work; whenever crap gets in the way - I see signs of Christmas so I can stay Merry.

Spotted my first Robin crossing a lawn on the corner and another swooping and landing on a branch of my old ash tree while I was pulling into my parking spot.

+eJolly on! :tree:

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
Happy Palm Sunday MMC! I can't believe Easter is only 1 week away! I feel like once we reach Easter then we're on the road to Memorial Day, and then 4th of July, and then? On the road back to the Bers which is actually 20 weeks from today. I'm in no rush to get there! But it's hard to believe it's only 20. Feels like it should be 30. Have a great Palm Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image