Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Christmas music is pretty forgiving stuff. As one loyal listener to Kringle Radio recently told us, “What else besides Christmas music can take you from country to jazz to rock to choral in under an hour?”
But artists abuse the flexibility of Christmas music by including Christmas songs that are not, at least in their original intent, Christmas music.
Perhaps the biggest abuser of this most recently is Pentatonix. In 2016 the acapella group released Hallelujah as part of their album A Pentatonix Christmas:

We admit – it’s a great song and the performance is spectacular. But it is not a Christmas song. It is a song about a love gone wrong. There is nothing Christmas about it. Zip.
That being said, Hallelujah was previously reimagined as a Christmas song. The words had to be changed entirely to do it. Check it out:

Musically – it is the same song.
But one is a non-Christmas song you get on a Christmas...

Continue reading...

DixieBelle

Rudolph is my Jam!
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Oct 14, 2011
USA
I can't stand Christmas songs that aren't about Christmas! The comment about Die Hard was funny. I have to be honest....I've never seen Die Hard, so I can't definitively state an opinion on if it is a Christmas movie or not, but I can't imagine how it would be.

+g

RadioJonD

♪♫~Guru of Yule Audio~♫♪
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2005
Moon Winx Motor Lodge
radiojond.tumblr.com
One of my all time favorite songs that is mentioned in the article is the version of "My Favorite Things" by John Coltrane. All almost fourteen minutes of it!

I have never thought lf the song as a Christmas tunes. Jazz radio shows play it year 'round.

Maybe Kringle Radio needs to dust off my old "Mistletoe Mix" episode entitled "Christmas tune of not, you decide."

Reactions: e_xander

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image