Football and Thanksgiving-Do you love it or hate it?

Snow-in-Texas

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just a thought, you mention about the players should be home with their families, that's fine. But you said you like to watch a special on tv or the parades, well the television station is being run by people not home with their families, what's the difference? Also they probably don't get any days off for the weekend. But everybody has their opinion, and that's fine. I am sure all people that have to work on any holiday learn to adjust.

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
Personally I can't stand to hear football on tv.

I use to go to the Penn State games with my husband, his company always had tickets for us. Then we were in charge of the "Tailgate". I wanted to take a book to read during the game but hubby wouldn't let me. LOL, Sometimes if it was really hot all the wives would leave the stadium and go sit in the shade of the tree.

I loved to socialize during the Tailgate party but other than that I hated sitting in the heat, freezing rain and cold and 15 minutes always turned into 30 to 45 minutes.

Thank goodness hubby is not that much into Football anymore. He will watch it if someone else is watching it but no longer sits glued to the tv and gets radical about a fumble etc. Many times he knows it's on tv but doesn't watch, hooray and I'm glad.

Call me weird but I love the sound of football. I don't watch college games but I love pro games. I will put on football, even if my team is not playing, just to be watching or hearing it. I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to be out in that type of weather for football all the time! I love the sport but I don't want to be miserable, I would rather watch it at home. I say I don't want to be miserable but I did tell my hubby since we never get a good snowfall here that I think it would be fun, only if I was prepared, to watch a pro game in the snow (just once). The new Cowboys Stadium is really nice and indoors, unlike the old stadium where I went once and froze and the other time it was hot. I saw Paul McCartney there a couple of weeks ago and it was nice inside. cheesy

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
Personally I can't stand to hear football on tv.

I use to go to the Penn State games with my husband, his company always had tickets for us. Then we were in charge of the "Tailgate". I wanted to take a book to read during the game but hubby wouldn't let me. LOL, Sometimes if it was really hot all the wives would leave the stadium and go sit in the shade of the tree.

I loved to socialize during the Tailgate party but other than that I hated sitting in the heat, freezing rain and cold and 15 minutes always turned into 30 to 45 minutes.

Thank goodness hubby is not that much into Football anymore. He will watch it if someone else is watching it but no longer sits glued to the tv and gets radical about a fumble etc. Many times he knows it's on tv but doesn't watch, hooray and I'm glad.

I actually wouldn't mind the freezing part. I love to go to live events no matter what the weather. I despise college football though! My friend loves it and I just can't get into it. The thing that I hate to hear on the radio and I can't stand to watch it on tv either is baseball! It's so boring to me. Watching it live is fun, on tv or listening to it on the radio, not so fun. I'm also not into tailgating that much either. I'd rather get to my seat and get the game started.

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
Just a thought, you mention about the players should be home with their families, that's fine. But you said you like to watch a special on tv or the parades, well the television station is being run by people not home with their families, what's the difference? Also they probably don't get any days off for the weekend. But everybody has their opinion, and that's fine. I am sure all people that have to work on any holiday learn to adjust.

Jeesh! It's just my opinion I didn't think it was gonna spark such controversy. I take it back! I take it all back. Nobody should be off for Thanksgiving!!! I think there should be a marathon of sports on back to back for 4 days straight, no breaks. I don't like sports on during my family time. It's not the way that I like to spend my time with my family. I'd rather spend it watching a special and if that means that the people at the station have to work then it does. As long as they aren't running sports then I'm ok with it. Sports don't fit into my family time and that's that. It's not to take away from your family time and if you like it great. I was asked if I like it or not. I don't. End of discussion, it's not a debate.

Snow-in-Texas

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
Jeesh! It's just my opinion I didn't think it was gonna spark such controversy. I take it back! I take it all back. Nobody should be off for Thanksgiving!!! I think there should be a marathon of sports on back to back for 4 days straight, no breaks. I don't like sports on during my family time. It's not the way that I like to spend my time with my family. I'd rather spend it watching a special and if that means that the people at the station have to work then it does. As long as they aren't running sports then I'm ok with it. Sports don't fit into my family time and that's that. It's not to take away from your family time and if you like it great. I was asked if I like it or not. I don't. End of discussion, it's not a debate.

I apologize that I came across like that, it wasn't my intent. I just thought we were having a discussion and never meant for it to sound like we were debating. I hope all is well and sorry again for the misunderstanding.

C

cheryl65

I grew up in Michigan where the Detroit Lions play every Thanksgiving. Its a tradition to watch the game. It would'nt feel like Thanksgiving without football. I love watching the game and browsing all the black Friday ads during the commercials, lol. Granted my hubby and i love football, college and pro. I also always have a parade on during the morning while i'm prepping/cooking dinner. Again, thats just tradition. :)

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
=)

Its ok girl...
God loves you too....
Thee is room for all of those that dont support Gods team....
GO COWBOYS!!!!!!!

=)

I could go for the running off the Turkey and some tackle football in the yard but not the Cowboys part! cheesy Ahhhhaaaa!!! I'm gonna catch something for that I'm sure!!!!!

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
Since I've been quoted about my football experience, I feel I should add more and maybe there will be more understanding.

We would get up early, arrived before everyone else, set up the tables, do our hosting duties, be responsible for the food, the booze and everything. Then we had to close it all up, go into the stadium for the game, sit in a tiny space and have people crawl over us to get by, then after the game we got all the food and booze out and set the tables. Deal with long lines at the restrooms which was not easy because I usually dressed in layers. Socialized which had it's own pressures and we were the last ones to leave. Many times it was very cold and wet. I would be tired, cold and wet.

Plus growing up my brother was and still is a "sports nut". We had to watch football or hear it on tv (back then people had only one tv) In the car we had to listen to football or baseball. I had to go to his Little League games.

I think it's great when women get involved with liking Football. I have really tried and found the only part I like is a long run which happens on rare occasions.

Different strokes for different folks.

And yes, the players choose to be there during the holidays, I just feel bad for their families, that's just me. And yes the bands and units in the parades choose to be there.

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
Its ok girl...
God loves you too....
Thee is room for all of those that dont support Gods team....
GO COWBOYS!!!!!!!

=)

Ahhhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Rod you crack me up!

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Since I've been quoted about my football experience, I feel I should add more and maybe there will be more understanding.

We would get up early, arrived before everyone else, set up the tables, do our hosting duties, be responsible for the food, the booze and everything. Then we had to close it all up, go into the stadium for the game, sit in a tiny space and have people crawl over us to get by, then after the game we got all the food and booze out and set the tables. Deal with long lines at the restrooms which was not easy because I usually dressed in layers. Socialized which had it's own pressures and we were the last ones to leave. Many times it was very cold and wet. I would be tired, cold and wet.

Plus growing up my brother was and still is a "sports nut". We had to watch football or hear it on tv (back then people had only one tv) In the car we had to listen to football or baseball. I had to go to his Little League games.

I think it's great when women get involved with liking Football. I have really tried and found the only part I like is a long run which happens on rare occasions.

Different strokes for different folks.

And yes, the players choose to be there during the holidays, I just feel bad for their families, that's just me. And yes the bands and units in the parades choose to be there.

Yikes! That is a lot of work to host tail gating parties, especially the bad weather part of it! I have never hosted or been to one. I bet you are glad those days are over, lol. cheesy

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
I don't miss the hassle but I do miss the fellowship with the people my husband worked with and also the friends of the company. Sadly after working 24 yrs with this company my husband got laid off and within the year everyone else was let go and the company went bankrupt. This all happened in 2002 and my husband at the age of
54 had to start over again.

Now he works 2 jobs with one day off a week and that is Sunday. He works 75 hrs. every week and when there is mandatory overtime, he works
83 hrs that week. At his old job he was a surveyor for a coal company. Now he loads trucks full time and works at retail part-time. It's not easy but at least we can pay our bills.

He also functions as a Pastor which is what he really wants to do full time.
He was a full time pastor for a year but some people can be too much into the what about me syndrome and so that chapter of our lives closed too.
Needless to say we are both looking forward to his retirement.

MsChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 8, 2008
Maryland, USA
I like football but I dont LOVE it. We usually do have the game on Thanksgiving which is fine, I dont have to watch it though. I dont think I would want my family at the game on Thanksgiving Day... just my opinion.

Santa's Helper

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 14, 2007
Out there
I don't miss the hassle but I do miss the fellowship with the people my husband worked with and also the friends of the company. Sadly after working 24 yrs with this company my husband got laid off and within the year everyone else was let go and the company went bankrupt. This all happened in 2002 and my husband at the age of

Now he works 2 jobs with one day off a week and that is Sunday. He works 75 hrs. every week and when there is mandatory overtime, he works
83 hrs that week. At his old job he was a surveyor for a coal company. Now he loads trucks full time and works at retail part-time. It's not easy but at least we can pay our bills.

He was a full time pastor for a year but some people can be too much into the what about me syndrome and so that chapter of our lives closed too.
Wow! That's a lot of hours to work. So sorry he had to start over again. That's terrible when things like that happen. My friend's husband is faced with the same thing. He's 51 and the company he's been with since he started working just laid him off. He just returned to work from a hip replacement surgery and now he's out looking for another job. Here's to your husband's retirement!!!

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009

Aww... I know you can't wait for his retirement. What a rewarding job to be a pastor but as you mentioned can be hard as well.

Sunshine73

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 26, 2005
Illinois
My family is so not a sports family, except for my brother-in-law. Luckily my sister keeps him in check on Thanksgiving since she says that it's not only rude to put on the football game since no one else likes it but it also keeps him from enjoying the holiday with the family...which is, after all, what the holiday is all about. Coming together and giving thanks...not cheering for a football team and ignoring your family.

I'm sure it would be different if we were a 'sports' family.

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va

Wow - we all must be a bunch of rude folks enjoying spending time with our families playing and watching football on Thanksgiving....:-?

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Love It!!!

Snow-in-Texas

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
My family is so not a sports family, except for my brother-in-law. Luckily my sister keeps him in check on Thanksgiving since she says that it's not only rude to put on the football game since no one else likes it but it also keeps him from enjoying the holiday with the family...which is, after all, what the holiday is all about. Coming together and giving thanks...not cheering for a football team and ignoring your family.

I'm sure it would be different if we were a 'sports' family.

I can see your point, if he is the only one that likes football. He shouldn't neglect the guests and family to watch football.

One thing I found since moving to Texas, Dallas Cowboys football is a religion. In our situation, I think it would actually be rude NOT to have the game on.cheesy

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image