How do you cook your turkey?

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
great thread....I´m thinking bout preparing an Amerian Turkey for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day this year.....so I´m going through all types of receipes to find a nice one.....good read fellas

dominick

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 9, 2006
South Holland, IL
You seriously can't go wrong with that Alton Brown recipe. Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time for the brine to do it's thing.

HolidayHoney

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 27, 2008
I am now starving for turkey and dressing.

HolidayHoney

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 27, 2008
To Clarify

We have always called the stuffing "dressing", not really sure if it is a country thing or not.
I also must have gravy on the dressing, and I like coleslaw, and yams, and mashed potatoes, and green beans, and homemade rolls with lots of butter, and ...........

Courtney

Makin' A Comeback!
MMC Lifer
Jul 21, 2008
Home
Nothing exciting about the way I treat my bird. cheesy I wash it and remove the innards first thing. I then put some butter or oil under the skin and all over the top of the turkey, making sure that the breast, legs and wings are thoroughly covered. I stick it in the roasting pan put the lid on it on 350. I don't remove the lid to check for at least an hour +. I baste it probably every 45 mins to an hour.

I think I may try the bacon under the skin tip this year, it sounds tasty. :)

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
When I make a "normal" turkey (like my Dad makes) I stuff it with apples & onions, inject it with whatever seasoning/flavoring I have bought (local guy here makes a ham/turkey glaze that is WONDERFUL to inject it with) & rub it with butter, seasoning salt, pepper & bake it in a bag in the oven. BUT I have used this recipe from allrecipes.com & it is wonderful!!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homestyle-Turkey-the-Michigander-Way-2/Detail.aspx

Homestyle Turkey, The Michigander Way

INGREDIENTS
1 (12 pound) whole turkey
6 tablespoons butter, divided
4 cups warm water
3 tablespoons chicken bouillon
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 tablespoons seasoning salt

DIRECTIONS
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Rinse and wash turkey. Discard the giblets, or add to pan if they are anyone's favorites.

2.) Place turkey in a Dutch oven or roasting pan. Separate the skin over the breast to make little pockets. Put 3 tablespoons of the butter on both sides between the skin and breast meat. This makes for very juicy breast meat.

3.) In a medium bowl, combine the water with the bouillon. Sprinkle in the parsley and minced onion. Pour over the top of the turkey. Sprinkle seasoning salt over the turkey.

4.) Cover with foil, and bake in the preheated oven 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C). For the last 45 minutes or so, remove the foil so the turkey will brown nicely.

Chillywilly

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 21, 2007
Northern California
This is an Awesome thread. I am really enjoying how other prepare their Turkey. In our house we roast the main Turkey and a freind of ours give us a deep fried one as well. Wow I can hardly wait to have some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:family:

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
thats a good idea

Last year we used the recipe Giada had on food network.
You put in an onion & a lemon & an orange

Quite juicy

Trinityjae

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 25, 2008
Usually, I use one of those roasters to free up oven space but last year for the first time I used my Popeil (I think that's how you spell it) Rotisserie. I only use turkey breasts because no one in my family enjoys dark meat so an entire turkey would go to waste at my table. I rubbed the skin with honey and McCormick's Turkey spices and it turned out wonderfully.

My father was so sick of turkey that he actually requested a chicken too but ended up never eating the chicken because he enjoyed the honey rotisserie turkey. I will be repeating it again this year.

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
trackrebel,

Some turkeys have a little plastic timer in the breast and when it pops open you know the turkey is done. Also, the time table is usually printed on the wrapping.

snowytree

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 16, 2008
GA
I usually put in basically the same ingredients in my turkey every year and slow cook it in the oven. I think the brine sounds like a good idea especially since you don't have to open the door as much. I have a small kitchen and it can get heated up pretty quickly.

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
trackrebel,

Some turkeys have a little plastic timer in the breast and when it pops open you know the turkey is done. Also, the time table is usually printed on the wrapping.

thx Joy,

unfortunately over here in Germany....Turkey ain´t prepared like that most of the time....so they don´t sell those turkeys with the timer....which I would find great.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio

bigbearfla58

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Lifer
Jan 14, 2008
Thanksgiving Check List

:happy::gobble::carve:​

Monday, August 07, 2012 9:38 a.m. I had a huge thunderstorm last night -- found some great oranges at the Farmer's Market zested and juiced them over the weekend. Going over my nonperishable/pantry grocery items and looking for coupons. Will go over my nonperishable/ice box items in September.

Friday July 27, 2012 7:00 p.m. Happy Weekend looking forward to watching the opening ceremonies of the 2012 Olympics and to Mama's 85th birthday party tomorrow.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 7:38 a.m. found some great strawberries at the Farmers Market going to make the last batch of jam today. Going over my non-perishable grocery list for Thanksgiving today and checking dates for oil, baking soda, baking powder and corn starch. I always make two lists. One non-perishable one perishable. I purchase all my non-perishable items before the 1st week in Novembear. And I purchase perishable items the three weeks before Thanksgiving Day.

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:52 p.m. I found some great blueberries, strawberries, peaches, and apricots at BJ's The blueberry's were $4.99 for two pounds. I will turn them all into jam to give as presents when Christmas comes to town. I think this year I will freeze the peaches instead of making jam out of them.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 7:28 a.m. I just wanted to take out time today to wish every one a very Happy 4th of July and holiday seasons yet to come. At my desk eating my oatmeal and going over my last minute preparations for the BBQ. I have a few more guests coming to my BBQ this means a quick run over to Wal Mart for soda, 3 or 4 more chickens for the BBQ and maybe one or two more bags of chips and root beer. I made my boiled custard yesterday I will make the ice tea and set up the buffet table around 12:00 p.m. Happy 4th of July.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:08 a.m. I got up early today wanted to get to the grocery stores and beat the crowds and I also wanted to take out time today to wish all of you a very Happy 4th of July and holiday seasons yet to come. Once again I will be making my Great Grandmother's old fashioned boiled custard vanilla ice cream, burgers, hot dogs, chips the whole nine yards. Tropical storm Debbie is now stationary and has dumped way to much rain all over FL. Want her to go away. I am looking forward to the Labor Day Weekend when I start my Thanksgiving preparations. This year is really flying past me I can hardly believe that the 4th of July is now only 5 days from today and Christmas is only 182 days from today. This year is flying past me at trans-warp speeds the Enterprise can only dream of. This has also been an unusually hot summer for most of the country while FL has been well great wish you all were here. I can hardly believe it's the last day of June and the 4th of July is right around the corner. Do I have enough rock salt for the ice cream?

Sunday, October 09, 2011 8:08 a.m. Happy Thanksgiving -- I have been re-seasoning my cast iron skillet all summer. I've invited friends over for breakfast and some of my buttermilk cornbread. I have plenty of butter and home made preserves. I'll let you know how it turned out. The test batch of cornbread was huge hit. Nothing stuck to the pan and the cornbread was gone in 8 minutes.

Sunday, September 04, 2011 7:08 p.m. 98 degrees I am wishing for some cooler weather today. Where is a cold front when you want one? I just made my Thanksgiving mashed potatoes with heavy cream lots of butter and salt. I had some friends over to taste and they approved. Now I have to cool them off and put then into the freezer until two days before Thanksgiving.

Sunday August 28, 2011 5:08 a.m. 78 degrees I am up early this morning and I just wanted to take a moment to wish all of you a very Happy and Long 72 second Labor Day Weekend and holiday seasons yet to come. This is the weekend I start to re-season my cast iron skillet and reviewing all of my turkey roasting tips and tricks for Thanksgiving Day.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:38 p.m. 95 degrees, hot and humid. Found great blueberries, strawberries and peaches at the farm stands. Made jam and peach cobbler this weekend. Both are tart this year had to add extra sugar.

Monday, July 4, 2011 8:08 am. 4th of July weekend 89 degrees, hot and humid today making my home made ice cream for family and friends.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 12:58 p.m. EDT Memorial Day Weekend 90 degrees sunny and very humid and hot today. This year is flying right past me

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 During this long and way to hot summer I have been gathering new tips, tricks and techniques and will be posting them later in the year.

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is an addendum to my original post from How I roast my turkey from Page 2

I just wanted to take out time today to wish each and every one of you a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING I can smell the turkey roasting and my mouth is already watering for some of the stuffing.

This year I come away from this Thanksgiving with the deepest sense of satisfaction and gratitude for this most wonderful Thanksgiving Day I've had for many years. I was able to gather all of my family and friends around me and the turkey was tender and juicy. I spent the entire week cooking and preparing this dinner and it was gobbled up in just 10 minutes.

Before you even think about roasting your turkey or making your glorious Thanksgiving stuffing. Here is my Thanksgiving Road Map for 2011

1. Make sure your oven is CLEAN and CALIBRATED
2. New memory card, batteries, battery charger, film for camera or camcorder.
3. Place settings, bread & butter plates, serving bowls and serving pieces for side dishes
4. Tablecloth, napkins, napkin rings, place cards and center pieces for tables
5. Water and wine glasses -- salt and pepper shakers
6. Bottled water, soft drinks/iced tea for children or guests who do not groove on wine
7. Well stocked pantry and ice box
8. Check and double your Thanksgiving Day grocery list -- Don't forget the butter, celery, onions and Pillsbury Crescent Rolls Make sure you have ALL INGREDIENTS for your Thanksgiving dinner.
9. Snail mail and e-mail dinner invitations send out to give guests at least 3 months before Thanksgiving to give guests time to make travel plans
10. Take stock of flat wear or silver wear. Make certain you have enough place settings for each guest
11. Make sure home and carpets are cleaned up before your guests arrive
13. Variety of freshly roasted/toasted nuts, cheeses and crackers to serve as appetizers before dinner to give you more time in the kitchen
14. Clean and dry roasting pan with roasting rack for the turkey
15. Sharp carving knife and sharpening steel -- re-sharpen knives every 4 months
16. Large platters for turkey -- warm them up with hot water before carving your turkey
17. Schedule hair/nail appointments with hairdresser. Your dead line this year is 11/08/11 -- two weeks before Thanksgiving
18. Choose two outfits -- one for the kitchen when you're cooking -- grubbies-- the other to wear for dinner. Make sure that outfit #2 is laundered/dry cleaned/pressed is on a hanger and ready to wear.
19. Make sure you get extra packages of cranberries (check for sales right after Christmas. I found them on sale for 79 cents Jan 10, 2009)
20. Food saver vacuum packer and bags for left overs -- Found low prices at Wal Mart, BJ's and Costco's
21. Two weeks before Thanksgiving clean your dishwasher with 1/4 cup vinegar and 5 tbs baking soda.
22. Empty washing machine and dryer ready to wash up the linens and tablecloth
23. One prepared salad or sandwich to eat for lunch. I make my own chicken salad with celery, grapes and tarragon
24. Get a good nights sleep on Thanksgiving Eve
25. Two or three great cooks to help you out in the kitchen -- make sure they are GREAT COOKS who have at least 13 years of Thanksgiving experience
27. Two cans of Bar Keepers Friend cleanser to help you clean up after dinner. This stuff ROCKS $1.75 at my local Wal Mart
28. Start to re-season cast iron skillet first weekend in September
29. Wash and dry buffet and steam table(s) to serve and keep side dishes warm during Thanksgiving dinner
30. Get one or two $2.00 Styrofoam ice chests from Wal Mart. Get bags of ice from your local convenience store
31. Put glasses into dishwasher for water/wine two days before Thanksgiving.
32. I set aside the first Sunday in October to clean out the refrigerator and make room for the turkey.
33. Run dishwasher Thanksgiving Eve -- wash water/wine.
34. Set up dishwasher to run Christmas Eve while you are having your party.
35. Make two grocery lists one perishable one non-perishable. Start purchaseing non-perishable items in September. Purchase perishable items starting the 1st week of Novembear and look for sales and coupons.

*Watch for sales and COUPONS at your grocery store and on line

Mashed Potato Tip: Another great tip I learned from Ina Garten -- The Barefoot Contessa -- boil your potatoes for 10 minutes just until tender. Place colander in sink and allow potatoes to drain. Cover with a dish towel and allow to steam for another 10 minutes The potatoes will be tender and perfectly cooked. Return pot to stove and add one stick of unsalted butter with 1/2 cup of whole milk and 1/2 cups of heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2. Stir until butter is melted. Add potatoes to pot. Mash or whip potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I look for potato sales all year long. When they are the right price. $1.49 for 5lbs I get two bags cook both and now I keep mashed potatoes in my freezer all year long.

Saw this tip today on Food Networks Secrets of a Restaurant Chef with Chef Ann Burrell -- when testing your boiled potatoes for doness use a fork instead of a sharp knife. A sharp knife will always pierce the skin of the potato even if they are not done.

Oven Tip: NO OVEN even professional restaurant ovens cook evenly. Rotate your turkey every 1/2 hour to ensure even browning. This also applies to all baked goods.

Two weeks before Thanksgiving and Christmas I prepare my mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables and the vegetarian stuffing. The potatoes and stuffing are placed in quart containers in the freezer until Thanksgiving Day. I thaw them out two days before Thanksgiving and warm them up in my steam table. The day before Thanksgiving I cut up my root vegetables and put them in gallon size freezer bags. These prep-steps save me over 2 hours of cooking time on Thanksgiving Day.

The day before Thanksgiving thaw out frozen potatoes. In a large sauce pan, heat up 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 stick butter until butter melts. Add potatoes and cook until warmed through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Or you can pop them into the microwave for 5-8 minutes until heated through. Let them rest for 15 minutes.

My Thanksgiving Road Map keeps me organized all year long. I only have to make one fast trip through the express lane for turkey, celery and onions and I am done.

I was looking for a new technique for roasted vegetables as they are the centerpiece of my Thanksgiving dinner, and many dinners all year long. Give this a try and let me know how fast your guests inhale these delectable roasted vegetables.

Preheat oven to 475 degrees

In a large bowl, combine the squash, red bell peppers, sweet potato, and Yukon Gold potatoes. Separate the red onion quarters into pieces, and add them to the mixture.

In a small bowl, stir together FRESH thyme, rosemary, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Toss with vegetables until they are coated. Spread evenly on a
large roasting pan lined with heavy duty aluminum foil.

Roast for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring every 10 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through and browned

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]So good and so easy! I didn't have any winter squash so I used baby carrots & sliced zucchini. I put the root vegetables (onion, potatoes & carrots) in one bowl & the more delicate vegetables (peppers & zucchini) in another bowl. I divided the oil/vinegar/herb mixture between the two bowls. I put the root vegetables in the oven first & let them roast for 30 minutes before adding the other vegetables at the last 10 or 15 minutes. That way they stayed bright colored & didn't get mushy. I took them to a potluck dinner & there wasn't a single bite leftover. Add balsamic vinegar to vegetables after they come out of the oven.. [/FONT]​

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1 small butternut squash, cubed
2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
3 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
1 red onion, quartered
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/4-cup olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
[/FONT]
One last big and very important tip: On Thanksgiving Eve make sure you get a good nights sleep so you have energy for the big day. Happy Thanksgiving!

“I love this meal, I love it far too much to risk anything going wrong, so I have devised my plan of action, and I use it year in year out and I’m not just enthusiastic I am evangelical about it”

This posting was originally created on Wednesday, Octobear 08, 2008

Last edited:

auntieclaus

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 12, 2008
I brine my turkey then stuff and roast the next day. It always moist and delicious!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image