Aug 22, 2006
Sunny Florida
Absolutely beautiful pictures!!!!!

dominick

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 9, 2006
South Holland, IL
Thanks. That was the first time I had ever tried to photograph fireworks and I learned it's a bit more difficult than I had anticipated. My timing sucked and I kept screwing with camera settings the whole time. Despite myself, I managed to get some decent shots.

e_xander

Executive Producer, Tracking Santa
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 8, 2006
Fall Creek, Wisconsin
christmaspodcasts.com
Good pics, Tony. Now imagine what you can do next year now that you know what to do when taking pictures of fireworks! :sparkle:

Sean

dominick

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 9, 2006
South Holland, IL
I don't know. With the long exposure, you still have to take the picture before you know what exactly you're taking the picture of. It's really kind of hit or miss.

J

Jinglebelle

Hey Tony... you did get some pretty good pic's!
I can never get pics to turn out good, even a not-moving-object during total day light :( I dunno

dominick

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 9, 2006
South Holland, IL
Hey Tony... you did get some pretty good pic's!
I can never get pics to turn out good, even a not-moving-object during total day light :( I dunno
There are a lot of variables there. What kind of camera are you using?
...and I'm glad you like the pictures.

That's where new digital photography takes a backseat to the old. With my old camera I could just let the shutter stay open and only close it when the fireworks were over.
There are many higher end digital cameras that allow the use of a remote shutter button and unlimited exposure. I'd go so far as to say most DSLRs can. I'm just using a strictly consumer grade CCD camera that had a lot of neat features for the money, including an incredible zoom for what it is (12x optical). One day I'll get something a little nicer, but I really like this camera. I don't think I'd go (d)SLR just because I like being able to frame the picture using a nice, crisp LCD screen. I think a 3CCD may be next.

Wow! Those are GREAT!
Thanks!

Last edited:
J

Jinglebelle

3.2 MP hp photosmart 735

Dave says it's because I can't hold still!

dominick

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 9, 2006
South Holland, IL
That could be, I have the same problem. The camera I have now has a good optical image stabilizer; I don't know how I took pictures without it. The long exposure shots require a tripod, though.

megarrick

Chestnut Roaster
MMC Member
Nov 10, 2006
Alabama
Those are GREAT! Where I live, our fireworks look nothing like that. That sounds stupid but they don't. I think my favorite one has a small blue one with a gold waterfall looking one behind it! Beautiful!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image