Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler (History of)

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler - LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!
This will be a place to discuss and review the original history of Mardi Gras, its roots, and perhaps even what some have made it today.

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
What's the difference between Carnival and Mardi Gras

What's the difference between Carnival and Mardi Gras, and when do things begin and end?

Carnival, which is Latin for "kiss your flesh goodbye," is a long season between Christmas and Lent. This historically Roman Catholic city, which loves its food and drink more than normal, prepares for the pre-Easter Lenten season by partying up until the last minute.

Carnival officially begins in New Orleans on the Feast of Epiphany, or Twelfth Night (Jan. 6) and continues until the midnight of Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. The date for Ash Wednesday, of course, changes from year to year depending on the date of Easter.

The Carnival season builds slowly, from parades on Jan. 6 until Mardi Gras Day. The intervening weeks are filled with balls, banquets and other social activities. "Mardi Gras" (which is French for Fat Tuesday) technically applies only to the day before Ash Wednesday. But "Mardi Gras" is also commonly used to refer to the whole Carnival season, especially the final frenzied two weeks when the most parades occur.

A condescending traditionalist may make a big deal over the technicality, but locals normally refer to the entire long party as "Mardi Gras."

Maureen

Merry Forums Super Administrator
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
Displaced Canadian now in Perthshire, Scotland
Excuse-moi s'il vous plait..............

I'm still trying to get my head around this Mardi Gras thing!! You're from Louisiana and have explained that it's religious and a good thing.

Faithmom also lives in Louisiana and she says "We don't "do" Mardi Gra here. The reason being...it is a sin festival here. It's very dangerous too"

Is there another "side" to Mardi Gras??? This seems to be the complete opposite from the other.

And I'm truly not trying to be difficult - I'm just on a learning curve!!!!!

:))

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
what Faithmom means....is what Rod said when explained to You that many from the outside states are behaving poor...showing off their boobs and doing nothing but getting rotten drunk....and that part is what Faithmom meant...I´m pretty sure about it.

It´s a religious celebration....there are just some who always act like jerks...not that there is something bad with drinking....and I don´t really care so much about the boobs part....but it´s putting a bad light on others...

In Germany...the problem is not the boobs...but the booze...people are drinking like crazy....of course most know when they should stop...but some just continue to drink and end up in either the hospital...or the police station...

btw....in Germany....Carnival or Fastnacht starts on November 11th at 11:11am....in Cologne...the biggest Carnival city of the country...thousands of people gather around the Dome to celebrate the start of the season.....then...until mid-January...the season is kinda on hold....then those shows I mentioned earlier...with funny political speaches....just funny speaches....dances both show dances and kinda dances of women in uniform dancing a March...plus singing groups and on...usually in the end...especially in Cologne and Mainz and ÄDüsseldorf....guests are standing on the tables clapping and dancing and singing along to the songs being sung.....I am going to one on February 7th....at the club I used to dance at....:D

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
Simple

Here is the simple definition ....
As with any religious holiday - things go commercial or get taken out of context...

best way i can explain it is....
If you look at it like Christmas.....
Jesus Birthday (the real reason for the season) VS Santa Claus and Stores cashing in....

Excuse-moi s'il vous plait..............

I'm still trying to get my head around this Mardi Gras thing!! You're from Louisiana and have explained that it's religious and a good thing.

Faithmom also lives in Louisiana and she says "We don't "do" Mardi Gra here. The reason being...it is a sin festival here. It's very dangerous too"

Is there another "side" to Mardi Gras??? This seems to be the complete opposite from the other.

And I'm truly not trying to be difficult - I'm just on a learning curve!!!!!

:))

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image