Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
I remember Memorial Day more as a kid. We have sadly lost, I think, some of the great tradition of this day. When I was a kid we ALL went to the cemetary and decorated the graves. There were more flags than flowers in those days.

My grandfather was killed in WWII. His passion was writing and as a reporter for the AP he was compiling notes for a book he planned to write about the war when he returned home. We always pull those notes and journals and read from them. He was a communications sargeant and had access to a typewriter, even in the field. We have reams of paper from his war experience. These have always been a part of my Memorial Day tradition and will be so again this year.

I had a burning desire to finish his book. But I don't know if I could do it justice.

Jeff

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
I think as the years are going along most holidays our losing the importance they should have with the general populace. The younger kids dont seem to have that sense of history & importance. Its just another day.

dominick

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 9, 2006
South Holland, IL
It's just a day off to most now. When I was growing up, my Grandfather used to take us all up to the VFW to visit with the rest and watch the 21 gun salute. I have to say that these days I really don't do much to observe the holiday outside of trying to watch most of my combat movies. I'm watching The Longest Day right now, which due to length usually only gets watched this time of year.

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
i gotta get a copy of that
walmart here i come!

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
I believe i have patton already
& unfortunately im a ways from a best buy (sigh)

dominick

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 9, 2006
South Holland, IL
Patton's another one that I have trouble watching all the way through because of length. I think I'll try to watch it tonight. Have you ever seen Twelve O'Clock High?

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
I dont think i have, I remember the name but I dont recall seeing it.
How about red dawn?cheesy Now theres a movie:hello:

dominick

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 9, 2006
South Holland, IL
Twelve O'Clock High is about the daylight bombing raids that almost failed. They used a lot of real footage in it.

I never really got into Red Dawn much... the whole doomsday type mentality and all.

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
I used to think Red Dawn was a cool movie. Then I watched it again not too long ago and it seems so hoaky now. I enjoy Tora Tora Tora, Midway and, of course, The Longest Day. I also watch my traditional 4th of July movies on a weekend like this one, too -- 1776, for example.

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
i enjoy red dawn now for the message more than anything.
I think it shows aspects of war in the sense that its just a horrible thing.
but the idea of high school kids fighting against invading "commies" is kind of hokie

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image