New Year's Eve and New Year's Day Traditions

Spyells

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Member
Sep 25, 2011
California
I got the idea for this thread because of the Christmas Eve tradition thread in the Christmas traditions part of the forum. I was wondering what is everyone's New Year's Eve and New Year's Day traditions?

My family always stays up until midnight and we watch Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve. We usually have pizza, chips, and apple cider. We pretty much just have our own little party. When the ball drops, we scream HAPPY NEW YEAR and jump up and down and hug. Then we make a toast and we go outside. Many of our neighbors come out and say Happy New Year and go back inside. Some of our neighbors do a couple of fireworks (although it's illegal in my city cheesy).

On New Year's Day, my grandma usually watches the Rose Parade live. Some times my brothers might get up and watch, but usually the rest of use just sleeps in and catches the encore. Sometimes if my grandma has any sweet potato pie mix frozen from Christmas (when I say mix, I mean after she mashes the sweet potato and mixes it with sugar and everything else that goes into the mixture before she pours it onto the pie crust) she'll make another pie for New Year's day. So, what do you guys do on the New Year's holidays? :-D

Reactions: 1 person

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
We celebrate most things with movies, and New Year's Eve is the same---we screen films and enjoy our favorite holiday snacks until shortly before midnight. Then we go upstairs to watch the ball drop on Times Square, have a New Year kiss, and stay up a little while longer watching the fireworks over Boston, if they're showing them on TV.

shellie12

North Pole Resident
MMC Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
in Co derry .northern ireland town called maghera
I dont like new years eve i thnk its the worst night of the year
Everyone running round wishing you a happy new year when actually they dont give a hoot about you
So i tent to spent it with ppl who are my true friends
usually someone has a party i go but i come home for 12 o clock to spent it with ppl in my own home as they dont go out.and my furbabes they all get treats lol after that i sometimes go back to party or am on the phone
The text messages are coming one after the other lol no one ever trys to stop me goiing home they know me must be home for 12 am lke cinderella lol
Sometimes i wood open a bottle of champange and go round a few neighours
Dont knno really why i dont like it maybe its cause christmas is over. but i treat it just like a party and dont spoil other ppl,s fun as i know someones love it

New years day is a big dinner day usually have a few round for dinner . and its a big horse racng day here so have a few bets just a nice relaxing start to the new year

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
I like New Year´s eve...but never really had a big party or anything....the layst few years we have always been at my brother´s place...but not sure if we are going there again...always the same...lol...maybe we´ll go maybe not

Maureen

Merry Forums Super Administrator
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Aug 24, 2007
Displaced Canadian now in Perthshire, Scotland
I'm going to sound like a complete wet blanket but I go to bed!!! Can't stand New Year's Eve for some reason so sleep through it.

In Scotland there's this huge thing about "Hogmanay" which is what they call New Year's Eve. After midnight, you're supposed to go around the houses and "first foot" everybody, including complete strangers. This involves take a piece of coal, usually some whiskey, shortbread or fruitcake and handing it to the resident of the house. It's symbolic usually meaning that you wish them prosperity (heat, food and drink etc) for the forthcoming year. In an ideal world, your first "first-footer" would be a tall dark haired man but hey, beggars can't be choosers!!

Please check out the Wiki link HERE if you'd like to know the origins etc.

:!!

Reactions: 2 people

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
this year i will watch the fireworks even closer...because I know that my grandfather (rip opa otto) got up and walked to the window to see the new year´s fireworks last new year´s eve....8 days later he passed away...I will be thinking of him then...knowing he is happy now...watchem them fireworks from above!!!

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
We don't have any traditions for NYE. Last year we stayed home. We played darts in the basement, bowled on wii & other wii games, drank some wine & watched the ball drop. That is the 1st year we stayed home. It was nice, but I would like to know in advance that we are going to be staying home so we can plan a good dinner - maybe on the grill. Usually we go out to eat with friends & then to someones house. I am not sure what we are doing this year.

On New Years Day we always have a party/open house at our house. It gets a little crazy sometimes - it's a full house. We set up the wii in the garage for the kids. I usually make bbq ribs, & sausage & kraut. Last year we made a prime rib. Very good. Everyone brings a side dish or a snack. Here is picture from 2011:

Spyells

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Member
Sep 25, 2011
California
We don't have any traditions for NYE. Last year we stayed home. We played darts in the basement, bowled on wii & other wii games, drank some wine & watched the ball drop. That is the 1st year we stayed home. It was nice, but I would like to know in advance that we are going to be staying home so we can plan a good dinner - maybe on the grill. Usually we go out to eat with friends & then to someones house. I am not sure what we are doing this year.

On New Years Day we always have a party/open house at our house. It gets a little crazy sometimes - it's a full house. We set up the wii in the garage for the kids. I usually make bbq ribs, & sausage & kraut. Last year we made a prime rib. Very good. Everyone brings a side dish or a snack. Here is picture from 2011:

That's a lovely photo! :-D

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image