Now how in the heck am I supposed to swing this???!!!!

ReineV

Christmas Connoisseur
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 2, 2006
Atlanta, Ga
My sister is getting married November 25, 2006...that is the Saturday after Thanksgiving for those of you without the calendars out. Thanksgiving is my second favorite holiday...it's kind of like my prelude to Christmas. I love my sister...I'm the maid of honor...I couldn't be more happy about this wedding...but per the brides request...we will be having Thanksgiving dinner at my dad's swanky neighborhood clubhouse...and instead of it being Thanksgiving dinner...it's her rehearsal dinner...it's like she's taking over the holiday! I'm so used to being able to walk around the kitchen in my pajamas helping mom cook while catching the highlights of the Macy's parade, she's killed that! The second issue is the fact that her bachelorette party (that I have to plan) will be taking place the evening of Black Friday...How do I make sure Thanksgiving is still a holiday for family and friends and not just apart of her "Week of the Queen Bride".

S

sheepsnot

Wow! I'm speechless. (Almost!) I guess the reason no one has responded so far is that this seems like a bad dream. You love your sister and want the best wedding possible, but you have years worth of good memories about Thanksgiving and the traditions associated with it, and now the two are interfering with each other. (I know I'm just restating the problem, but that's because I have no idea what to do.) I'd go full speed with the sister's wedding and just remember that this will be the only time it happens, Lord willing. Wear a turkey pin on your bridesmaid dress as a silent protest. 8)

E

Ervserver

Maybe you could record the parade and then have your own little Thanksgiving on another day. Won't be exactly the same but you could fix some of the good food, replay the parade, and do some of the things you would normally do for that special day.

RadioJonD

♪♫~Guru of Yule Audio~♫♪
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2005
Moon Winx Motor Lodge
radiojond.tumblr.com
Connecting an engagement, wedding, etc. with a holiday is never a good idea. Neither is giving an engagement ring on Christmas or birthdays. These events should be an occasion unto themselves!

However, ReineV, your sister doesn't think so. I agree with the sheepster; go ahead and sacrifice this year hoping that this will be the only time. Tell your sister that when their anniversary rolls around each year, everybody is coming to their house for Thanksgiving! She might rethink it all then.

Think positive. One never knows what new Thanksgiving traditions may come from this!

elfworks

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 5, 2006
texas
if i were you, what i would do is talk to mom and dad. i would tell them that you are behind all the wedding plans, however, thanksgiving is really important to you. if it is ok with them, youd like to take a saturday the following week or two and do thanksgiving. tape the parade and the games or whatever it is you normally watch on tday and then just have thanksgiving a week or so late. it is just a day appointed by the powers that be to celebrate a something. it isnt such a bad thing to do it on a different day. and it could actually be even groooooovier!!

xo

ReineV

Christmas Connoisseur
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 2, 2006
Atlanta, Ga
Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions, I think that this year, I'm just going to bite the bullet and let her have Thanksgiving, then do a post-Thanksgiving/pre-Christmas pot luck celebration with my friends once i get back down to school after Thanksgiving break. Maybe that Sunday after I come back to my apartment we can decorate the tree and eat the leftovers our families packed for us.

E

Ervserver

sounds like a plan..afterall the holidays aren't just whats on the table but whats in our hearts.

S

sheepsnot

I never expected that from you, Erv. Not that I didn't think you were deep, but saying it's not just what's on the table is scary. Hearts, schmarts, where's the food!?! 8)

E

Ervserver

Just after I typed that the Dominos delivery arrived and I feasted on pepperoni pizza and brownies. Dominos brownies are yucky btw

ReineV

Christmas Connoisseur
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 2, 2006
Atlanta, Ga
Ervserver said:
Just after I typed that the Dominos delivery arrived and I feasted on pepperoni pizza and brownies. Dominos brownies are yucky btw

yea...when I first heard about the free brownies WITH dipping sauce I was all, "OMG YAY!"....but then I stopped and thought about it...

elfworks

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 5, 2006
texas
personally, i loathe dominos pizza. cant even fathom how crappy the brownies must be.

xo

S

sheepsnot

It's a good thing we aren't paramedics since we get so easily sidetracked by food. Poor ReineV will have to wait until after we've eaten to get anymore advice.

E

Ervserver

Sounds like ReineV has a plan so its best to celebrate with a feast, it's tradition all the way back to the Romans

mrshfromjersey

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
Port Charlotte, FL
home.earthlink.net
It's hard to break with tradition, but since this will (hopefully) be a one time break from tradition, celebrate the wedding and then have a Thanksgiving 2. I like that idea...two Thanksgivings...mmmm

I felt this way the year that my Mom decided we would go "out" for Thankgsiving dinner. All I could think was...WHAT??? No leftover turkey to make sandwiches? No leftover gravy??? No leftover PIE???? Saddest Thanksgiving ever....

:family:

S

sheepsnot

That was last year for us. I was not a happy camper, but I don't do the cooking, so my vote is not as important. I do clean up, however.

S

sheepsnot

Whenever she cooks, I do dishes and clean up the stove, counters, etc. Removes a bit of the guilt from sitting there watching TV till it's ready. I've done it for years. Sinks need to be about 6" higher, though. My back aches after a good Thanksgiving dishwashing.

E

Ervserver

maybe a wash tub on wheels next to the Lazy Boy, then you can still watch the game and go easy on the back

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image