Thanksgiving 2020 Thread

KimB

North Pole's Auditor
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 19, 2019
DB Shores, Florida
All this Thanksgiving talk inspired me to cook one of my turkey breasts last night. It was boneless and skinless, also organic, free range, so it was not large like ones you buy in stores. I was a bit worried it wouldn't be tender so I poured about a cup of bone broth over it and tightly covered it with foil. It came out perfect despite my digital meat thermometer not working. I sliced it after it had rested on the counter for 30 minutes and mixed the bone brother over the slices, then refrigerated it.

Guess what I had for breakfast along with my smoothie today? Turkey!!!

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
All this Thanksgiving talk inspired me to cook one of my turkey breasts last night. It was boneless and skinless, also organic, free range, so it was not large like ones you buy in stores. I was a bit worried it wouldn't be tender so I poured about a cup of bone broth over it and tightly covered it with foil. It came out perfect despite my digital meat thermometer not working. I sliced it after it had rested on the counter for 30 minutes and mixed the bone brother over the slices, then refrigerated it.

Guess what I had for breakfast along with my smoothie today? Turkey!!!

That sounds...AMAZING. I want to get creative with the turkey this year. Maybe I'll get my chance if we don't have the big family dinner. We don't currently host, so we always bring a side dish, and thus someone else always brings a normal baked turkey, sometimes good, sometimes awfully dry. I would love to try a Cajun-fried turkey just once. I have heard they taste awesome.

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
That sounds...AMAZING. I want to get creative with the turkey this year. Maybe I'll get my chance if we don't have the big family dinner. We don't currently host, so we always bring a side dish, and thus someone else always brings a normal baked turkey, sometimes good, sometimes awfully dry. I would love to try a Cajun-fried turkey just once. I have heard they taste awesome.

I don't yet think you had joined the boards yet when i posted our smoked turkey recipe for the turkey my wife and I did to celebrate Mini-Christmas / Rudolph Day in January. It perfectly mimics / replicates putting a turkey in a smoker. My father in law had it earlier in the summer, we were "demonstrating" it in the hopes they would want my wife to make it for them this Thanksgiving. He uses a smoker frequently, and he could not taste the difference.

If you think it is something that would interest you, let me know, and I'll send you the recipe!

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
More news about the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! It will be virtual this year!

Some tidbits:
- Only local bands. Bands that were previously selected will get to participate next year.
- Original parade route will not be used.
- Participants must be over 18, and the total number has been reduced by 75%.
- Performances will be "pared down."

Last edited:

liswank

Christmas Fan
MMC Member
Dec 3, 2008
More news about the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! It will be virtual this year!

Some tidbits:
- Only local bands. Bands that were previously selected will get to participate next year.
- Original parade route will not be used.
- Participants must be over 18, and the total number has been reduced by 75%.
- Performances will be "pared down."

Instead of some half-cocked "virtual" parade, I'd almost rather have them cancel it and broadcast an old parade or highlights of past parades. I don't need to be reminded of this disaster of a year on Thanksgiving morning.

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
I don't yet think you had joined the boards yet when i posted our smoked turkey recipe for the turkey my wife and I did to celebrate Mini-Christmas / Rudolph Day in January. It perfectly mimics / replicates putting a turkey in a smoker. My father in law had it earlier in the summer, we were "demonstrating" it in the hopes they would want my wife to make it for them this Thanksgiving. He uses a smoker frequently, and he could not taste the difference.

If you think it is something that would interest you, let me know, and I'll send you the recipe!

Yes, please! I am all for new turkey recipes!

Cedar Grove

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Aug 31, 2020
East Tennessee
Instead of some half-cocked "virtual" parade, I'd almost rather have them cancel it and broadcast an old parade or highlights of past parades. I don't need to be reminded of this disaster of a year on Thanksgiving morning.
Kind of like what they did with the TV coverage of the Fourth of July from Washington this year. I don't know what was happening live on the Mall, but the bulk of the broadcast (including, I believe, the fireworks) was pre-recorded or rerun from previous years.

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
1600127209499.png

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
COUNTDOWN TO THANKSGIVING 2020: 72 DAYS
COUNTDOWN TO NOVEMBER 2020: 47 DAYS

Happy Halfway Into September! Can you believe tonight we reach the halfway point in the month of September? Slow down already! Well these counts keep moving along as we do through September. They are the following: 72 days till Thanksgiving & 47 days till November. Of course, next week on Tuesday we'll reach the milestone of saying farewell to summer/welcome to autumn. That will be 1 week from today. That's our next milestone. Who's looking forward to that? I am. I love summer but when we reach autumn that's OUR season and the season of November & Thanksgiving. I saw the Macy's parade news and I know it won't be the same but I still can't blame them for trying to make it the best they can under the circumstances. Still old clips would be nice too. Maybe they will give us some. Have a great Halfway Into September!​

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Some type of parade is better than no parade. But if this years parade isn't worth watching, then I'll have last year's queued up and ready to play. I WILL be watching the parade this year no matter what. (Lord willing ;) )

Ddeby

Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
MMC Member
Jul 7, 2012
New Hampshire
I was hoping they would piece footage from parades of the past and we would get a bit of its history at the same time. They have footage going back to the 1920's so I think that could be a really fun to see how it's changed.

tbutler

Tim Butler, North Pole IT Consultant
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 1, 2010
You may be able to find past parades in their entirety on YouTube. I‘ve watched them in the past during the summer months and pining for that Thanksgiving day feeling. I’m planning on doing that this year if the Detroit parade is canceled.

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
The "virtual parade" concept sounds disappointing, but who knows? It might actually work out alright. When I read the news about "pared back performances" I did smirk a little bit...I've been wanting them to focus less on the performances and more on the parade itself for some time now.

Ddeby

Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
MMC Member
Jul 7, 2012
New Hampshire
The "virtual parade" concept sounds disappointing, but who knows? It might actually work out alright. When I read the news about "pared back performances" I did smirk a little bit...I've been wanting them to focus less on the performances and more on the parade itself for some time now.
I'm with you on that. I don't care for most of the performances. Although I DO love the Rockettes!

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
I'm with you on that. I don't care for most of the performances. Although I DO love the Rockettes!
I'm right there with you both.

KimB

North Pole's Auditor
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 19, 2019
DB Shores, Florida
One of my secrets for moist turkeys is to stuff fresh herbs mixed with olive oil under the skin and baste it every 20 minutes. I also cut up apples and oranges and put it inside the bird. That combination smells so good and guests always appreciate it.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image