Thanksgiving 2020 Thread

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
I am excited for 2021 and all the possibilities for having more traditional celebrations but I am so grateful for this year and this forum that brightens my days!! Middle of October is feeling good, frost warning here, and I am off work to wait for my countertops to be delivered and installed! Hopefully the sink and dishwasher will be hooked up before the end of the day too! Have a great Friday!

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
My mission tonight, which i have accepted, is that when I go to Martin's for some groceries (My wife is out of town until Sunday evening), I am going to buy THE TURKEY. Just to have in case they get hard to find. I think it obviously varies regionally, but our grocery stores here have been just about "normal" since early June, so i don't anticipate them running out of turkeys and hams, but there is no harm in preparing in advance! Preparing in advance for the holidays we love, are why we are all here!

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
My mission tonight, which i have accepted, is that when I go to Martin's for some groceries (My wife is out of town until Sunday evening), I am going to buy THE TURKEY. Just to have in case they get hard to find. I think it obviously varies regionally, but our grocery stores here have been just about "normal" since early June, so i don't anticipate them running out of turkeys and hams, but there is no harm in preparing in advance! Preparing in advance for the holidays we love, are why we are all here!
I picked up our turkey last week. I just wasn't going to take any chances on their being a run on them.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
COUNTDOWN TO THANKSGIVING 2020: 40 DAYS
COUNTDOWN TO NOVEMBER 2020: 15 DAYS

Happy 2nd Half of October! We made it into the 2nd half of this wonderful month of October and into another glorious Bers Weekend. Our counts look as follows now: 40 days till Thanksgiving & 15 days till November. Thursday will be a BIG day here because we'll have a special poll and also reach our next milestone of the "Home Stretch" to November as we reach the crazy # of 10 days to go till it. CW delivered for us this week on Thursday again and without his contributions every other Thursday I don't think I could have kept the polls going as I have been able to. You're a life savior CW and I hope you'll continue posting for us your videos in the 2021 thread (I already offered him a highly lucrative contract. He's about to sign it just has to dot the i and cross the t). Have a great 2nd Half of October!​

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
I was successful in getting the turkey last night! Martins had a great selection, and I chose a Prestage Farms turkey! So we are guaranteed to have at least one turkey, although I am sure we will end up with at least one more when it comes time to redeem the grocery points. Next on my target list will be to buy a ham this coming weekend, and then we have everything we need for the upcoming dinners. Anything that we are able to get after that, is just a bonus!

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
This year I am planning on just doing a turkey breast and maybe two thighs instead of a whole turkey, not just because we are having a smaller group, I have heard it reduces cooking time immensely and easier to carve. I should probably look for a ham for Christmas soon.

ballcoach

Christmasologist
MMC Lifer
Jan 1, 2017
Awesome. I have actually thought about planning our menu for our weekend before Thanksgiving and the week of Thanksgiving today....

That sounds like fun!

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
COUNTDOWN TO THANKSGIVING 2020: 39 DAYS
COUNTDOWN TO NOVEMBER 2020: 14 DAYS

Happy Halloweening Sunday! Oh yeah today is a full-fledged Halloween Day for me. Shows, Trail Clips, Decorations and more. But here of course every single day of the year in this thread is about THANKSGIVING. Woohoo. And today we talk about our counts with the following numbers: 39 days till Thanksgiving & 14 days till November. You don't need to be a math major to realize 2 weeks from today is November. WOW. And then we will only have 1 countdown remaining folks. Geez...I'm not ready. I'm so not. No matter what your plans are today enjoy your Sunday. Our next milestone will happen Thursday with the "Home Stretch" to November and will be accompanied by a Thanksgiving Poll. Have a great Halloweening Sunday!​

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
I'm really looking forward to this thread for 2021. I got on these other threads (Bers, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Daily Holiday Hangout) sort of "late" this year, and am really looking forward to going through one from beginning to end next year. The same feeling when I joined MMC last September and was only here for the back end of the year. It's been fun!

Speaking of Thanksgiving, as I mentioned, I was able to find our turkey, so the next trip out will be to procure my Ham, that I plan to have for Christmas! Costco is going to be my hunting ground for that one! I know some folks were worried about the grocery stores being overran, and I have came to the conclusion that it is area / region specific.

Here, the stores have been essentially "normal" since June. I shop at Walmart for canned foods & milk / pasta, etc, and Costco for meat and specialty items. I go to Martins for fresh produce. We have been able to find everything that we normally eat, with no trouble. The Wal Mart opened both doors again about a month ago, the arrows and signage are all gone now. The only thing still the same at Wal Mart, is they have hardly any registers open, it is all self checkout.

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
@SolidSnake84 You are a great addition to the boards!

Didn't realize you have been here just over a year already! Happy late MMC anniversary.
Thanks friend! Looking back on everything, I don't know how I never made it here before! Crazy!

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
Two weeks until November....

Under 40 days until Thanksgiving....

We are on the verge of hitting the Christmas season....

and yesterday, I made my first trip to Hobby Lobby this year....

IT. WAS. GLORIOUS.
Hobby Lobby is my weekly Oasis, even since June when the pandemic restrictions were largely lifted in my town, I made it a point to still keep my weekly visit to check out what was happening Christmas wise. I start "Christmas Hunting" each week beginning at the end of April, very beginning of May. My HL was shut down for about 6 weeks this year, before it opened back up in May, and I think it really got them behind. But since they got it in gear in June, holy crap, Christmas wonderland.

I have roughly 6 more weeks to enjoy going in there, because if you are like me and LOVE Christmas, going in there in December will make you sad. Even in December, they have began consolidating Christmas down to about a quarter of the store. Broken and damaged merchandise are on display at heavily marked down prices. It is really sad. I'm not gonna lie, it made me feel like I was going to cry one year when I wasn't expecting it. That's why I stay out of there largely in December if I can help it. But like I tell everybody, the plus side of having a HL, is that I will get to see that "Christmas Magic" again in April or May, so it is sort of a double-edged sword!

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Hobby Lobby is my weekly Oasis, even since June when the pandemic restrictions were largely lifted in my town, I made it a point to still keep my weekly visit to check out what was happening Christmas wise. I start "Christmas Hunting" each week beginning at the end of April, very beginning of May. My HL was shut down for about 6 weeks this year, before it opened back up in May, and I think it really got them behind. But since they got it in gear in June, holy crap, Christmas wonderland.

I have roughly 6 more weeks to enjoy going in there, because if you are like me and LOVE Christmas, going in there in December will make you sad. Even in December, they have began consolidating Christmas down to about a quarter of the store. Broken and damaged merchandise are on display at heavily marked down prices. It is really sad. I'm not gonna lie, it made me feel like I was going to cry one year when I wasn't expecting it. That's why I stay out of there largely in December if I can help it. But like I tell everybody, the plus side of having a HL, is that I will get to see that "Christmas Magic" again in April or May, so it is sort of a double-edged sword!
I'm with you SS. I Christmas hunt starting in May also. Hobby Lobby has never let me down. I know it's only 4 months from Jan 1 to May 1, but it feels like forever. I'm so relieved when I see the first sights of Christmas.

Speaking of Hobby Lobby.
This week I noticed that the Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving stuff is 90% GONE. It's all in one aisle now. New Christmas stuff everywhere. So exciting!

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
I'm with you SS. I Christmas hunt starting in May also. Hobby Lobby has never let me down. I know it's only 4 months from Jan 1 to May 1, but it feels like forever. I'm so relieved when I see the first sights of Christmas.

Speaking of Hobby Lobby.
This week I noticed that the Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving stuff is 90% GONE. It's all in one aisle now. New Christmas stuff everywhere. So exciting!
Did your Hobby Lobby even get Halloween stuff? Ours did not have Any, nor did they get any. When I asked why, they told me they were not really sure? A corporate decision maybe?

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Did your Hobby Lobby even get Halloween stuff? Ours did not have Any, nor did they get any. When I asked why, they told me they were not really sure? A corporate decision maybe?
They had one side of an aisle.

Reactions: Edge612

Christmaswarlock

Mistletoeologist
MMC Member
Nov 18, 2018
Atlanta
This year I am planning on just doing a turkey breast and maybe two thighs instead of a whole turkey, not just because we are having a smaller group, I have heard it reduces cooking time immensely and easier to carve. I should probably look for a ham for Christmas soon.
Use the Reynolds oven turkey bags, 2.5 hours for a big turkey. No more 6 hour dry turkeys..lol

Christmaswarlock

Mistletoeologist
MMC Member
Nov 18, 2018
Atlanta
The Covid hit China just when alot of the Halloween/Christmas stuff was going into production and stuff they had was held up by shipping restrictions. Our Dollar Generals and Dollar Stores are stocking with alot of last years stuff that was left over.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
COUNTDOWN TO THANKSGIVING 2020: 38 DAYS
COUNTDOWN TO NOVEMBER 2020: 13 DAYS

Happy Octoberfest! It's a full week of October here starting off on a Monday. Talk about great. I mean even Mondays are great during this time of year. And these counts are both great this time of year too: 38 days till Thanksgiving & 13 days till November. Just like that we're now only 3 days away from our next milestone which will take place on Thursday with a special poll to go with it. What is that milestone you ask? Well it will be the "Home Stretch" to November. Yikes. Can you imagine? And then that countdown will slip to SINGLE DIGITS after that. Better hold on to October as long as we can. I definitely am doing that with both hands. Have a great Octoberfest!​

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image