MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
Oooo, nice poll this week! Here's my order:

1. Thanksgiving Day
2. Thanksgiving Eve
3. Black Friday
4. Thanksgiving Weekend

Thanksgiving Day cannot be topped; you've got the parade, food, family, friends, and football all jam-packed into a single day; also, for some this marks the official beginning of the Christmas season! I always love when Santa makes his guest appearance at the end of the parade every year to announce this.

Now, full disclaimer: I do not ordinarily get Thanksgiving Eve or Black Friday off from work, so unless I take vacation I'll end up working both of those days. However, on Thanksgiving Eve there is a palpable magic in the air. You can feel the excitement building all day long over what's to come. Black Friday is also exciting but for different reasons. I don't get to take part in the "festivities," but that's OK because I'm one of the only people at work, and everything is quiet and peaceful, and the workday itself is slow and laid back. I don't want to use up vacation days because these are literally two of the best days to be at work.

Finally, Thanksgiving Weekend is usually just another weekend for me. My Christmas decorations are already up on November 1st, so this is just a good weekend to rest and watch whatever Christmas specials they are showing early on TV. I am pretty sure this is when "Frosty the Snowman" airs.

But you're right, Edge - this is a 5-day stretch unlike any other during the year! And because Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday we can count on it to happen the same way every year too! It's a truly special time.

SnowflakeMom

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
Hmmmm.....I am going to say:

1. Thanksgiving Day
2. Thanksgiving Eve
3. Black Friday
4. Thanksgiving Weekend

I am torn on Thanksgiving Eve because I do love the excitement and preparing everything and love having all the family together.

Reactions: Edge612

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
COUNTDOWN TO THANKSGIVING 2020: 35 DAYS
COUNTDOWN TO NOVEMBER 2020: 10 DAYS

Happy Overly October! Today is a Thursday folks and a MILESTONE one at at that. Let's get right to it. We have 35 days remaining until Thanksgiving & 10 days to go until Halloween. Today we have reached the HOME STRETCH TO NOVEMBER! Hard to believe isn't it? Well it's serious. And let me tell you the weekly count to Thanksgiving sits at 5 now. Oh boy. Our next milestone will happen on Monday as we reach our 11th (and final) 26th before Thanksgiving. And we will retire that milestone as we move on to bigger and better things in 2021 with "Tom Turkey Day". The poll for this week is as follows:
How would you rank the following things that happen in November?
Thanksgiving Eve, Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, Thanksgiving Weekend

For me it would be: Thanksgiving Day, Thanksgiving Eve, Black Friday, Thanksgiving Weekend.
That's the order I would put them in. How about you? Notice how they're all 5 days in a row. It's amazing that stretch...maybe the most amazing stretch of the year. Let us know your response. Have a great Overly October!​

I would have to say, for me personally:

1) Thanksgiving Eve
2) Thanksgiving Day
3) Thanksgiving Weekend
4) Black Friday

I only put Black Friday last, because the past few years here, it has been an almost non-event due to online sales, as well as many retailers opening up on Thanksgiving day for sales. Because we don't go to any stores on Thanksgiving day, out of belief that those workers should have the day off with their families, we don't participate.

Ddeby

Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
MMC Member
Jul 7, 2012
New Hampshire
1) Thanksgiving Day
2) Thanksgiving Eve
3) Thanksgiving Weekend
4) Black Friday

I don't do Black Friday....I stay far, FAR away.

Reactions: Edge612 and Rich

LadyLynn

The Christmas Freak
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 22, 2020
Riverton, Utah
1. Thanksgiving Day (doesn't get better than family, food and fun)
2. Thanksgiving Eve (love the prep excitement and anticipation)
3. Thanksgiving Weekend (decorate 'til I drop)
4. Black Friday (Meh)

This is a fun poll.

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
1) Thanksgiving Day
2) Thanksgiving Eve
3) Thanksgiving Weekend
4) Black Friday

I don't do Black Friday....I stay far, FAR away.
I don't do Black Friday either. Never have. But I do like the excitement it drives. The fridge is full of leftovers for every meal so there's no reason to leave.

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
1) Thanksgiving Day
2) Thanksgiving Weekend
3) Thanksgiving Eve
4) Black Friday

Up until yesterday, I would have put Thanksgiving Eve and my cooking and Great Pumpkin tradition as for #2 but I am wallowing in my displeasure that the Peanuts specials will not be on broadcast television. I know it can be streamed, I know I have the dvds, but that is not the point.

I will be off from the Tuesday before through the weekend and I am grateful. I am adjusting to the idea of how the holiday will be different and I am trying to stay positive, but I am going to wallow a bit longer.

RachRon

Elf Supervisor
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2010
Massachusetts
1 Thanksgiving Eve and all the pre game cooking
2 Thanksgiving Day family family family .
3 Black Friday due to years of lining up to shop still look forward to it even though it has lost a lot of luster .
4 Thanksgiving weekend because the tree goes up !!

PatriciaLC

Elf Supervisor
MMC Member
Oct 18, 2019
Oregon
1. thanksgiving. Just hubby and I and he usually works (major grocery open) I usually cook cornish hen and the regular trimming. (he gets home around 3.
2 . Black Friday... I worked retail for along time .... so I was there ( the best job was working for a few years at a craft store on BF) otherwise I stay clear... not my idea of a good time :)
3. the weekend...(I will probably have my decor up already... so maybe a bit of baking and music and holiday dvds. (btw... I'm listening to Christmas music right now! :)

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
COUNTDOWN TO THANKSGIVING 2020: 34 DAYS
COUNTDOWN TO NOVEMBER 2020: 9 DAYS

Happy Late October TGIF! Folks we're on a Friday now. It's a Fall Friday. What could be better than that? Well these counts are right up there as being awesome: 34 days till Thanksgiving & 9 days till November. Coming hot off the heels of our milestone on Thursday we now focus on the next milestone which will happen in 3 days on Monday. That will be our 11th of 11 "26ths" and the final one we will celebrate. The last 26th before...Thanksgiving. UNREAL. But let's not wish that milestone to come yet. I know you and I all want to enjoy our Friday and the upcoming Halloweenish Weekend. Right? Let's have a great one. I hope you all enjoy your TGIF. Have a great Late October TGIF!​

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
Isn't it funny how we find ourselves spending so much time counting down to our beloved Holidays, but then when the counts start looking a little skinny, like this one, we want to slow down time some? Well that's me. Once I made it to the best part of the year, I wanted things to slow down. September was gone way too quickly. October has lagged at times, but in general has moved too quickly for my liking. My hope now is that November and December go slow. But I think deep down we know why these months go so fast. And that is because we love them so much. But that means they are special.

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Isn't it funny how we find ourselves spending so much time counting down to our beloved Holidays, but then when the counts start looking a little skinny, like this one, we want to slow down time some? Well that's me. Once I made it to the best part of the year, I wanted things to slow down. September was gone way too quickly. October has lagged at times, but in general has moved too quickly for my liking. My hope now is that November and December go slow. But I think deep down we know why these months go so fast. And that is because we love them so much. But that means they are special.
During this Bers season I've been trying to do something "Fallish or Halloweenish" each day. That has helped in making things slow down. But it's still going by too fast. What's a fella supposed to do? :)

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
COUNTDOWN TO THANKSGIVING 2020: 33 DAYS
COUNTDOWN TO NOVEMBER 2020: 8 DAYS

Happy Pre-Halloween Weekend! Oh yeah you know one of my favorites is coming. But my ultimate favorite day of the year is listed above in the countdown. Let's get to the countdowns this morning. We have 33 days left until Thanksgiving & 8 days to go until November. Folks our next milestone is on Monday which is our last and final 26th. That will be the last time we count down to a specific date on a calendar. That will be 11 of 11. The next time it is the 26th of the month? It will be Thanksgiving Day. Let that hit you please. It hits me so bad. I love this month of October so much and it leads to so much exciting stuff beyond it. Have a great Pre-Halloween Weekend!​

Reactions: Rich

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
The final 26th, how exciting, I have acquired my turkey for Thanksgiving and my ham for Christmas, now just a few more weeks to make sure I have everything else I need for November 26th. Has anybody here ever made or tried Butternut Mac and Cheese? I am thinking of giving it a try for Thanksgiving Day. Have a great weekend!

SnowflakeMom

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
The final 26th, how exciting, I have acquired my turkey for Thanksgiving and my ham for Christmas, now just a few more weeks to make sure I have everything else I need for November 26th. Has anybody here ever made or tried Butternut Mac and Cheese? I am thinking of giving it a try for Thanksgiving Day. Have a great weekend!
I have never heard of that but sounds so good!

Reactions: Edge612

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
I think I have selected my "backup parade" to watch if this year's parade turns out to be a bust. YouTube has many of the parades recorded in full (albeit without commercials), and this morning I was looking through them all. 2008 was a great parade that had some memorable songs and moments (the Rickroll, the balloon getting too close to the hosts), so I'll have this one queued up and ready to go if the 2020 "virtual" parade falls flat.

Of course I'm hoping the virtual parade works out and is just as enjoyable as the real thing...but I'm not really counting on it.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
COUNTDOWN TO THANKSGIVING 2020: 32 DAYS
COUNTDOWN TO NOVEMBER 2020: 7 DAYS

Happy Final October Sunday! Oh yeah folks and you can tell it's the final October Sunday very easily by our countdowns. Let's take a look at them. We have 32 days left until Thanksgiving. We have 7 days to go until November. Folks, 1 week from today is NOVEMBER. Think about that. This is Halloweek coming now. And we need it to go sllllllllllowwwwww. Our next milestone is TOMORROW that would be Monday when we will celebrate our 11th of 11 "26th". It's just crazy to think that but we all know that it is indeed true. I have to tell you I'm so happy and excited for Halloweek and I have loved October. I'm glad we have another week. Have a great Final October Sunday!​

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image