Thanksgiving 2020 Thread

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
You all have made this past year of counting down until today a blessing.
I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Now, let's celebrate!!!

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

@Edge612 - that was an awesome Thanksgiving Eve post. And this has been an awesome thread. I'm thankful that we have these countdown threads to look forward to, because even though today is Thanksgiving, it is NOT the end! Because we will begin counting down to 2021 and the anticipation and excitement build all over again. Also - and I might be overly optimistic here - but I have to believe that Thanksgiving 2021 will absolutely top Thanksgiving 2020 in every way.

So thank you @Edge612 for not just this but ALL of the threads you update daily, thank you to @SolidSnake84 for introducing me to this wonderful corner of the internet, and thank you MMC family for allowing me to come along for the ride.

Here's to 2021!

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
THANKSGIVING EVE THOUGHTS
So last year on Thanksgiving Night I posted a lot of final thoughts and I plan to do that again tomorrow before we move on to the new thread. However, this year I really wanted to post some thoughts on the evening of "our day". I know that I have several threads (i.e. the Hang Out & Saturday AM) and also contribute to others (Christmas Countdown, The Bers & Halloween) but I can tell you in all honesty this is my favorite thread. I started doing the countdown 2 years ago (and haven't missed a day). The reason I started doing this was because when I was a kid I loved Halloween. I loved Christmas. I loved both so much. And I still do. But the one holiday that over the last many years I've been an adult that only got better and better to me was Thanksgiving. To me it almost became the "perfect" day. It became like one big 24 hour tradition. It became about fun, football, family, the parade and more.
Today I went to work and I've said this many times it is my "favorite work day of the year." Of course, with Covid everything has been different this year so fittingly our internet was down. My 3 main coworkers though all vowed to come in and share our annual breakfast together and they did. But they only stayed an hour (normally we work together 4-5 hours this day on Thanksgiving Eve). The fact they came though anyway made me so happy. We had so much fun in that 1 hour together. Just talking, laughing and saying how much we love this time of year. After they left I hung around because I had to go through some of my files and clean up a bit plus honestly I didn't want to go home. And the fact I was all alone there in my office was an eerie feeling. I mean it's normal because this year has been the year many people learned to work from home a lot of times right? So it's not a big deal...but I thought back to last year and how different everything was and how I could never have imagined the things that went on in the last year. It made me realize that even though we say time goes fast that in a way it is a LONG time to go through a year together with all that has gone on since then. And it's thanks to you all that I continue to do this (and will continue in the 2021 countdown).
So after everyone left I really did a lot of thinking. The quietness really helped me, in a weird way, take it all in. I felt a little sadness at thinking back to what has happened in the last year. I felt sad that I was alone now. But I felt so happy that they came in. And I wondered if you told me a year ago how things would go this year and for Thanksgiving Eve 2020 I would never believe it. And that made me wonder what will it be like next year at this time? How will Thanksgiving Eve 2021 go too? And another thing I thought of was how this week really is the BEST week of the entire year overall. The funny thing is we have not even completed half the week yet but I already acknowledged it. Monday & Tuesday of this week are underrated. The feeling that built the last few days was incredible. This whole week is just amazing and unreal. Thanksgiving Eve might be the most underrated day of the entire year. Literally hardly anyone talks about it or thinks about it all year long. But it has become very special to me over the years.
Normally we count down the "weeks" to Thanksgiving on Thursdays, however, with the 2021 countdown we will no longer do that. Why? Because from now on we're going to do a weekly countdown to THANKSGIVING WEEK. We will do it every single Monday (what a way to start the week huh?). You can throw all the Mondays of the year at me you want but nothing felt like this Monday did. And this whole week has been amazing. So as much as we will continue to countdown to 3 counts (The Bers, November & Thanksgiving) we will do our weekly countdown on Mondays now to the best week of the year.
For now I just want to wish you all a great rest of your evening. Take it all in. Make the most of tonight. And I hope to see you all in the A.M. with our 364th (and final) morning post to you as the countdown ends. I hope to see you all back here then and then tomorrow night for some annual closing thoughts before we fire up the 2021 Countdown to Thanksgiving.
Edge​
Great thoughts Edge. Now I can't wait for Mondays. What a great idea. :)
Thanksgiving week is a wonderful time of year.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
@Edge612 - that was an awesome Thanksgiving Eve post. And this has been an awesome thread. I'm thankful that we have these countdown threads to look forward to, because even though today is Thanksgiving, it is NOT the end! Because we will begin counting down to 2021 and the anticipation and excitement build all over again. Also - and I might be overly optimistic here - but I have to believe that Thanksgiving 2021 will absolutely top Thanksgiving 2020 in every way.

So thank you @Edge612 for not just this but ALL of the threads you update daily, thank you to @SolidSnake84 for introducing me to this wonderful corner of the internet, and thank you MMC family for allowing me to come along for the ride.

Here's to 2021!

That's really nice of you to say. It's really cool to see how much the thread grew in the last 2 years. Seems like a lot more people following it. Without all of you I would be simply talking to myself. So thanks a lot for being here and see you in the 2021 thread. Happy Thanksgiving!

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! We made it folks. There are no more countdowns left to do. We are on the best day arguably of the year. It's right at the top of the list for sure. There is nothing else to count down to although there will be starting tomorrow of course in the NEW thread Thanksgiving 2021. We will begin counting again. Tonight I'll give you some closing thoughts after the day is over. Maybe I'll try to stop in a few times during the day also to let you know how my day is going and feel free to do the same if you get a chance. It's been a heck of a ride and thank you to everyone here. Without you I wouldn't have done this thread for a 2nd year in a row. I have to say it feels like we have a lot more following this year than last year (and a lot more posts). I hope the 2021 thread will only grow from here. But do not look ahead now. Cherish today. These moments we can't get back and while the build is a big part of the fun when you finally reach the destination you have to take it all in. Have a great and Happy Thanksgiving!

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! We made it folks. There are no more countdowns left to do. We are on the best day arguably of the year. It's right at the top of the list for sure. There is nothing else to count down to although there will be starting tomorrow of course in the NEW thread Thanksgiving 2021. We will begin counting again. Tonight I'll give you some closing thoughts after the day is over. Maybe I'll try to stop in a few times during the day also to let you know how my day is going and feel free to do the same if you get a chance. It's been a heck of a ride and thank you to everyone here. Without you I wouldn't have done this thread for a 2nd year in a row. I have to say it feels like we have a lot more following this year than last year (and a lot more posts). I hope the 2021 thread will only grow from here. But do not look ahead now. Cherish today. These moments we can't get back and while the build is a big part of the fun when you finally reach the destination you have to take it all in. Have a great and Happy Thanksgiving!
I really enjoy our little family here. Have a great day!

Reactions: Edge612

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Wow! The parade is LIVE!
I’m pleasantly surprised. :)

Reactions: Edge612

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
We turned on a rerun from 2k. Gotta see masks everyday..I have a choice on my viewing!! Lol
I agree. I should put on a rerun, but the family is still watching, so majority rules. It just seems so stark with barely any people there, and the lip-synched performances are so much more painfully obvious.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
Wow! The parade is LIVE!
I’m pleasantly surprised. :)
I feel like I give them an A for effort. They tried to make the most of it under these difficult restrictions and conditions. It wasn't the same as usual but we knew that. Seeing the masks didn't bother me that much because hey that kind of sums up 2020. I hope Thanksgiving 2021 we can see the parade look more like it did from previous years but I'll take what we got for this year!

Dickens' Ghost

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Member
Sep 30, 2019
Utah
Anyone else watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade this morning?

I always turn it on. It's a tradition. Even though it's obviously just one big advertising effort, it's still kind of fun and I've been watching it since I was a kid.

But this year there are no spectators due to covid and the whole thing just feels dead. Lifeless. Bloodless.

Lame.

tbutler

Tim Butler, North Pole IT Consultant
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 1, 2010
Anyone else watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade this morning?

I always turn it on. It's a tradition. Even though it's obviously just one big advertising effort, it's still kind of fun and I've been watching it since I was a kid.

But this year there are no spectators due to covid and the whole thing just feels dead. Lifeless. Bloodless.

Lame.
I watch the Detroit parade every year since I live in Detroit. I couldn’t make it until the end. Lots of filler, taped performances, and repeat floats from last year. The whole thing seemed thrown together and was frankly boring. I‘m sorry to have to say that because I know that the Parade Company was working under very difficult circumstances.

It’s just sad that Covid killed this tradition.

Dickens' Ghost

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Member
Sep 30, 2019
Utah
I watch the Detroit parade every year since I live in Detroit. I couldn’t make it until the end. Lots of filler, taped performances, and repeat floats from last year. The whole thing seemed thrown together and was frankly boring. I‘m sorry to have to say that because I know that the Parade Company was working under very difficult circumstances.

It’s just sad that Covid killed this tradition.
Honestly, I've been iffy on the Macy's parade for a while now due, as I said, to the obviously ultra-commercialized nature of it, and also because of all the pop artists with their rather terrible songs and lip-synching. But it's still nice to see the floats and the more traditional parade acts, and it's always fun seeing Santa roll in at the end. The live crowds add much-needed energy and today confirmed that without them the whole thing just feels dead.

That's unfortunate about the Detroit parade. I can't say, honestly, that I even knew there was a Detroit parade, but it's a shame they couldn't pull off something fun and exciting if they really put a lot of effort into it.

Covid is killing EVERY tradition it seems. I don't have any family in the area and don't fly home for Thanksgiving, so it's my personal tradition to always go to a movie on Thanksgiving Day. While the theaters here are actually open, there's no big new film to go see except The Croods II, and that's animated. It's a shame the studios didn't take a chance and release something that would also appeal to adults.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image