Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Mistletoe is perhaps the most backwards of Christmas traditions.
Most today associate mistletoe with a Christmas kiss – something that happens now rarely, if spontaneously – and only if mistletoe is included in festive activities (it rarely is anymore).
Unlike most traditions of Christmas mistletoe has not really survived into modern times with the esteem and adaptability of other Christmas traditions.
Christmas trees, Christmas cards and Christmas carols have only become more popular with time. Mistletoe has not.
Trees, cards and carols have adapted to technology and changing tastes. Mistletoe has not.
In America, mistletoe was another tradition swiped of English Christmas practices and twisted into something a little different.
Over the course of the Victorian era mistletoe was a popular Christmas party pastime that was more unique to America than to England. It was as common as Christmas trees.
But in the first decade of the 20th century it stopped cold as a Christmas tradition...

Continue reading...

Reactions: DixieBelle

DixieBelle

Rudolph is my Jam!
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Oct 14, 2011
USA
That was such an interesting read. Thanks, Jeff. I had no idea about the history of mistletoe. The "poop on a twig" and "a tinker's whoop" gave me quite the chuckle!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image