Turkey: Fry it or bake it?

jollyliz

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Nov 22, 2008
Oklahoma
I'm sure fried turkey is wonderful, anything fried is GREAT, but I'll pass. Frying donuts for a living made me angsty about using hot oil... especially large amounts of hot oil. lol I'll stick to baking my bird.

tracyann

Eggnog Chugger
MMC Member
Oct 27, 2007
I always bake mine, but hubby has been wanting to try frying one sometime. We've had them before and they are good. :)

Seawaters

MMC Christmas Angel 1954-2020
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 8, 2008
California
www.southernchristmasnights.com
WE smoke ours. See the recipe on the Whats on Your Menu thread. The recipe is there!

Cherylle in CA

Reactions: 1 person

Bradmac

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2008
Bellville, GA
Down here in the south, we fry everything. After the turkey comes out, drop in a few twinkies and a Three Musketeers bar. Yummy!
cheesy

Seriously, though, mom always bakes one, and my brother usually fries a small one, too.

Snow-in-Texas

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Jun 28, 2009
Dallas, TX
I never tried a fried turkey, but I will when we have our Thanksgiving meal at work this week. My boss is going to deep fry a turkey, so I will get my first chance.

HollyJells

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Nov 7, 2006
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Deep Fried is ok, but I was brought up on the in the oven for several hours type of turkey and I actually prefer it that way. My thing is why add more fat? Yea it may taste good and take way less time but I still love being able to do a turkey up and love taking the time to make sure it is done right. Besides it isnt often you hear about a turkey exploding in the oven the way it has been broadcast year after year about turkeys exploding in oil.

gabulldawg

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 29, 2010
Hill AFB,Ogden Utah
Just got off the phone with my dad and he is frying it which Im glad because it taste great. But I have to agree with the posters who prefer to bake it. Growing up there was something about smelling the turkey cook all morning while us kids played with our cousins he have not seen all year. the anticipation of all the food cooking for hours while watching the macy's parade.You could not beat that! now as im grown up I kind of miss those times but still love smelling the turkey bake for hours!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image