What are you giving up for Lent this year?

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
I'm just curious. I know not all of you will be celebrating Lent, but for those of you who do, who will be giving up something?

I know it's not much, but I will be giving up Diet Pepsi. I ALWAYS have to have a Diet Pepsi when eating certain things like pizza or popcorn. I know that the whole reason behind giving up something for Lent is the suffering, just like Jesus did for us on the cross. I feel like this is the least I can do 40 days, since Jesus die A LOT more for me!

Good luck for whatever you decide!

Reactions: 3 people

momnan30

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I'm just curious. I know not all of you will be celebrating Lent, but for those of you who do, who will be giving up something?

I know it's not much, but I will be giving up Diet Pepsi. I ALWAYS have to have a Diet Pepsi when eating certain things like pizza or popcorn. I know that the whole reason behind giving up something for Lent is the suffering, just like Jesus did for us on the cross. I feel like this is the least I can do 40 days, since Jesus die A LOT more for me!

Good luck for whatever you decide!
I should have this mapped out by now! The last few years I feel like I've been scrambling to make a worthwhile sacrifice, but the truth is, I'm kind of selfish when it comes to giving up my Starbucks or computer time. Now those would be the things I should give up! I did pick up my annual lenten meditation book today and I read a bit each day. Thanks for lighting a fire under me to make some kind of commitment and good luck on the diet pepsi thing!

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
I should have this mapped out by now! The last few years I feel like I've been scrambling to make a worthwhile sacrifice, but the truth is, I'm kind of selfish when it comes to giving up my Starbucks or computer time. Now those would be the things I should give up! I did pick up my annual lenten meditation book today and I read a bit each day. Thanks for lighting a fire under me to make some kind of commitment and good luck on the diet pepsi thing!

You're welcome and thank you! My DH and I are both Catholic, so I think it helps me with the encouragment of him to guide me along, too. We're both pretty religious, so I think we help each other.

I remember the one year I gave up chocolate and soda both - I was a bear, but it was worth it!

Meceka

MMC Associate Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan
I am giving up coffee.

Reactions: 4 people

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
I usually give up beef, because I so enjoy a good steak or hamburger. Last year I also gave up chocolate bunnies---after Ash Wednesday, I bought one (a Busy Bigby) to save for Easter Sunday. I think I'll do that again this year.

Back home we didn't do anything special to observe Lent (except eat kinklings), but since Mr. gives up something for Lent, I do too, to keep him company.

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
I usually give up beef, because I so enjoy a good steak or hamburger. Last year I also gave up chocolate bunnies---after Ash Wednesday, I bought one (a Busy Bigby) to save for Easter Sunday. I think I'll do that again this year.

Back home we didn't do anything special to observe Lent (except eat kinklings), but since Mr. gives up something for Lent, I do too, to keep him company.

That's nice of you to do that for him. It's always nice to have someone to do it with. It makes it easier.

Reactions: 1 person

merrymistletoe

Christmas Royalty
MMC Member
Nov 28, 2009
south carolina
i have never given up anything for Lent. i'm a southern baptist & i had never heard of this until the last 6-8 years. i think this is a beautiful thing. my boss is united methodist & she's the 1 i originally heard of this through. what a great way to celebrate Our Lord dying for us. thank you all for sharing!!!!!

judesmama

...Noel, Hilda, and Evan’s mama, too!
MMC Lifer
Jul 8, 2008
Out in the country!
sweets!!!! I have a MAJOR sweet tooth, so it's definitely a challenge! But it's been almost a week and I am still alive, so yahoo! :)

momnan30

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Officially gave up the Starbucks...so far so good even though they were handing out samples yesterday at Target Starbucks...I was strong!
Good luck to everyone with whatever they are choosing to forego!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image