MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
(I've mentioned this before in another thread, so bear with me.)

We have an unusual Thanksgiving ... just the two of us, with turkey, mashed potatoes, and side veggies from Boston Market, and the stuffing, brown 'n' serve rolls, cranberry sauce, and desserts from our kitchen. As we eat, we listen every year to the same Thanksgiving episode of an old-time radio show featuring Jimmy Durante and Garry Moore. The odd thing is, we have a friend in New York State who ALSO listens to the same show every Thanksgiving!

In the evening we often go downstairs and run a 1950s kinescope* of a Lawrence Welk show featuring Christmas music, to kick off the Christmas season.

Yes, we like old-timey stuff!

(*A 16mm film made by pointing a camera at a video monitor during a live broadcast---this was the only way to preserve a live TV broadcast in the days before videotape.)

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Thanksgiving weekend is when my Christmas lights and tree go up :)
Me, too. If I get home early from work the afternoon before Thanksgiving, that's what I do. Even if I don't get around to putting on the ornaments until later, I really enjoy having the tree lights on.

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
I make pepperoni bread the night before Thanksgiving for dinner that night and an extra loaf for everyone one to snack on while watching the football games while dinner is still cooking on Thanksgiving Day.

Oh now that sounds amazing i have never had that would you share the recipe ?

Reactions: DixieBelle

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
(I've mentioned this before in another thread, so bear with me.)

We have an unusual Thanksgiving ... just the two of us, with turkey, mashed potatoes, and side veggies from Boston Market, and the stuffing, brown 'n' serve rolls, cranberry sauce, and desserts from our kitchen. As we eat, we listen every year to the same Thanksgiving episode of an old-time radio show featuring Jimmy Durante and Garry Moore. The odd thing is, we have a friend in New York State who ALSO listens to the same show every Thanksgiving!

In the evening we often go downstairs and run a 1950s kinescope* of a Lawrence Welk show featuring Christmas music, to kick off the Christmas season.

Yes, we like old-timey stuff!

(*A 16mm film made by pointing a camera at a video monitor during a live broadcast---this was the only way to preserve a live TV broadcast in the days before videotape.)

ok i have to say that sounds so cool watching the show the old way
what a great way to start off the holiday season

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
Thanksgiving Week Traditions

Wednesday- We start turning our lights on for the season and we eat pizza.
Thursday- Macy's parade, Cowboys, and turkey!
Friday- Black Friday shopping and we buy an ornament for our family.

ok those are great also . i sometimes go out shopping on black Friday depends on the deals they are having.

Dudley

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Member
Sep 20, 2019
Southern California
No one will ever find me out and about on Black Friday. No way. It ain't happening.

Reactions: Saki.Girl

KimB

North Pole's Auditor
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 19, 2019
DB Shores, Florida
My Thanksgiving changes each year, especially since I no longer work.

When I was working, faculty got Wednesday and Friday off. I took the whole week to prepare for the big day. I'd buy an organic turkey and make the desserts on Tuesday. I usually also had some kind of fish or seafood so I'd go to the fish market on Wednesday morning. From that point on I was busy in the kitchen no matter if I had one person coming over or a dozen. I cooked from scratch and I loved it. After the crowd left, I took down all things Thanksgiving. On Friday, I'd get my two trees from Home Depot and put them up. The rest of the weekend was spent decorating for Christmas.

I usually returned to work on Monday exhausted......but happy I'd have another three weeks off beginning the week before Christmas.

Since I don't have kids, my gifts were easy so shopping was minimal. I never went out on Black Friday.

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
My Thanksgiving changes each year, especially since I no longer work.

When I was working, faculty got Wednesday and Friday off. I took the whole week to prepare for the big day. I'd buy an organic turkey and make the desserts on Tuesday. I usually also had some kind of fish or seafood so I'd go to the fish market on Wednesday morning. From that point on I was busy in the kitchen no matter if I had one person coming over or a dozen. I cooked from scratch and I loved it. After the crowd left, I took down all things Thanksgiving. On Friday, I'd get my two trees from Home Depot and put them up. The rest of the weekend was spent decorating for Christmas.

I usually returned to work on Monday exhausted......but happy I'd have another three weeks off beginning the week before Christmas.

Since I don't have kids, my gifts were easy so shopping was minimal. I never went out on Black Friday.

That is so awesome I am no cook that is for sure and that you can do it from scratch wow amazing
lol i can so imagine come Monday you were exhausted lol

shrcpark

Christmas Decorator
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 15, 2018
Night before Thanksgiving, we have Chinese food.
Thanksgiving, we have the turkey and ALL the trimmings.
Thanksgiving night, we shop for all the gifts online.
Black Friday, we head out and purchase the gifts we missed online and grab lunch out.

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
Night before Thanksgiving, we have Chinese food.
Thanksgiving, we have the turkey and ALL the trimmings.
Thanksgiving night, we shop for all the gifts online.
Black Friday, we head out and purchase the gifts we missed online and grab lunch out.

ok i have to say i like the idea of Chinese food the night before i might have to try this this year
i love shopping on line lol best the crowds

KimB

North Pole's Auditor
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 19, 2019
DB Shores, Florida
That is so awesome I am no cook that is for sure and that you can do it from scratch wow amazing
lol i can so imagine come Monday you were exhausted lol

Well, times have changed since my disability. This year I'll still get the turkey from Whole Foods but it'll be cooked as will all the fixings!!! I ordered two pies online to be delivered on Tuesday. I'll be spending Thanksgiving with a friend, my brother and his wife. I told them we're eating on paper plates so clean up will consist of dividing the leftovers. They were happy with my plan. The only real work I'll have is driving back and forth to Whole Foods (the nearest one is a little over an hour away but so worth it.)

I do miss the days when I exhausted myself between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm probably the only person I know who actually lost weight during the Holidays because I was so busy running here and there and grabbing food on the run. -reindeer-

Saki.Girl

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Sep 29, 2019
Oregon
Well, times have changed since my disability. This year I'll still get the turkey from Whole Foods but it'll be cooked as will all the fixings!!! I ordered two pies online to be delivered on Tuesday. I'll be spending Thanksgiving with a friend, my brother and his wife. I told them we're eating on paper plates so clean up will consist of dividing the leftovers. They were happy with my plan. The only real work I'll have is driving back and forth to Whole Foods (the nearest one is a little over an hour away but so worth it.)

I do miss the days when I exhausted myself between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm probably the only person I know who actually lost weight during the Holidays because I was so busy running here and there and grabbing food on the run. -reindeer-

your new plan sounds great also for thanksgiving too you get to relax and enjoy

Reactions: DixieBelle and KimB

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image