Yummies

ponytramp

Dashing through the snow ..
MMC Lifer
Sep 21, 2019
new england
Looks like Brach's is taking up some of the slack following Necco's demise.

Merry .. did you see this? :)

1590786246993.png

There's a lot going on in the world right now, but candy fans thankfully got a bit of good news this week. Those colorful Necco Wafers you loved as a kid are heading back to store shelves this summer following a two-year hiatus, and they taste like nostalgia.

Sweetening the announcement, Spangler Candy, who acquired the Necco Wafers brand after the historic New England Confectionery Company closed back in 2018, has confirmed that both the formula and the packaging of the iconic candy remain unchanged.

"We kept the wax wrap around the roll exactly the same and used the same supplier and everything," Spangler Candy CEO Kirk Vashaw told TODAY in an exclusive interview.

All eight flavors and their corresponding colors are back: chocolate (brown), cinnamon (white), clove (light purple), lemon (yellow), licorice (dark grey), lime (green), orange (orange), and wintergreen (pink). However, one may taste slightly different after the cooking process was refined.

"Seven of the eight flavors were designed to identically match the originals," the company confirmed in its website: "True Necco Wafers connoisseurs may detect a richer cocoa flavor in the chocolate wafers due to a minor improvement made in the cooking process."

Vashaw said in the interview that he admired how the Necco brand was "woven in the fabric of our culture." First introduced in 1847, the candy was taken on an expedition to the South Pole and even sent overseas to troops during World War II. Now, they're serving up nostalgia all over again.

"Candy is a simple joy in life, and it's a simple reward," said Vashaw. "People want the same thing they remember as a kid. That's the beauty of candy—nostalgia."

Among the major retailers where you can get your hands on some wafers in the coming days are Big Lots, Dollar General, Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, and Wegmans. They're also available at drug stores CVS and Walgreens, as well as at the Cracker Barrel chain of restaurants. Click here for a complete list of retailers.

Reactions: Glittering Tinsel

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Merry .. did you see this? :)

View attachment 69848

There's a lot going on in the world right now, but candy fans thankfully got a bit of good news this week. Those colorful Necco Wafers you loved as a kid are heading back to store shelves this summer following a two-year hiatus, and they taste like nostalgia.

Sweetening the announcement, Spangler Candy, who acquired the Necco Wafers brand after the historic New England Confectionery Company closed back in 2018, has confirmed that both the formula and the packaging of the iconic candy remain unchanged.

"We kept the wax wrap around the roll exactly the same and used the same supplier and everything," Spangler Candy CEO Kirk Vashaw told TODAY in an exclusive interview.

All eight flavors and their corresponding colors are back: chocolate (brown), cinnamon (white), clove (light purple), lemon (yellow), licorice (dark grey), lime (green), orange (orange), and wintergreen (pink). However, one may taste slightly different after the cooking process was refined.

"Seven of the eight flavors were designed to identically match the originals," the company confirmed in its website: "True Necco Wafers connoisseurs may detect a richer cocoa flavor in the chocolate wafers due to a minor improvement made in the cooking process."

Vashaw said in the interview that he admired how the Necco brand was "woven in the fabric of our culture." First introduced in 1847, the candy was taken on an expedition to the South Pole and even sent overseas to troops during World War II. Now, they're serving up nostalgia all over again.

"Candy is a simple joy in life, and it's a simple reward," said Vashaw. "People want the same thing they remember as a kid. That's the beauty of candy—nostalgia."

Among the major retailers where you can get your hands on some wafers in the coming days are Big Lots, Dollar General, Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, and Wegmans. They're also available at drug stores CVS and Walgreens, as well as at the Cracker Barrel chain of restaurants. Click here for a complete list of retailers.
Good news for Necco fans! I don’t care for them myself, but I’m tickled pink that the Sky Bar (another Necco product) was resurrected last year not far from us. We bought a box of 24 and gave some away for Christmas!

ponytramp

Dashing through the snow ..
MMC Lifer
Sep 21, 2019
new england
Good news for Necco fans! I don’t care for them myself, but I’m tickled pink that the Sky Bar (another Necco product) was resurrected last year not far from us. We bought a box of 24 and gave some away for Christmas!

I don't care for the wafers myself.
That was nice of you to get some Sky Bar's for people. I'm sure that was a pleasant treat for them.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
I don't care for the wafers myself.
That was nice of you to get some Sky Bar's for people. I'm sure that was a pleasant treat for them.
It was a treat for those who missed them. I also included a mini-printout of a news story about the place that's now making them. Maybe we'll make it an annual treat, who knows?

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image