Celebrating Jack O' Lantern Day

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
After much consideration and talking with some of the folks here, I have been inspired to launch a thread for a personal Holiday that i made up myself back in March, it was so fun, I think it is worthy to share with you all here:
Jack O Lantern Day.jpg

What is Jack O' Lantern day, you may ask?

Jack O' Lantern day is celebrated on each month of the "off season" that has a 31st. So, January, March, May, July, and August! We don't celebrate Jack O' Lantern day in October because obviously we have Halloween, and to honor the sanctity of Christmas season, Jack O' Lantern day does not occur in December. I created Jack O' Lantern Day primarily because i realized that Fall, and by proxy, Halloween, was a big part of my life because of of its' close proximity to Christmas Season, and so each year that I spent wishing for Fall to get here, was really the start of ushering in the Christmas season! By the time we reach September 1st, most everywhere has an assortment of Fall, Thanksgiving, Halloween, AND Christmas stuff. So i wanted to create our own special day to honor Fall / Halloween, just like we do with Rudolph Day, and the newly created TOM TURKEY DAY.

What do you do on Jack O' Lantern day?

The fun about Jack O' Lantern day, is that the activities and "schedule of events", if you will, are not ironed out firmly, and by all means feel free to put your own spin on it. But here is an example of what I will typically do on Jack O Lantern day. I will set the mood by playing some songs from my Fall / Halloween Playlist. As an example, a song like "season of the witch", by Donovan. Then i will usually burn one of the fall scented candles (Buttery Pumpkin, Autumn leaves, etc). True to our namesake, i will plug in the electric Jack O' Lantern, and then to finish the evening, I usually do my own little marathon of Horror Movies to simulate one of those lazy October days where the networks are running a 24/7 marathon of various horror movies. This helps me continuously think of and wish for Fall / Halloween, which compliments greatly our beloved Christmas Countdown. And, since I only celebrate this 5 times a year, it is sort of a little "bonus" holiday, that i feel meshes very well with our Christmas Countdown, and the various milestones that we acknowledge for that.

So tomorrow, is my very final Jack O Lantern day of 2020. I think tomorrow is extra special, because not only is it our final Jack O Lantern day of 2020, but it is also the day before "THE BERS" which i know many people on here love and wish for, so many folks will be in the process of decorating for fall. Would you care to celebrate it along with me? The way things have been lately, i think we all deserve extra Holidays!

Ddeby

Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
MMC Member
Jul 7, 2012
New Hampshire
Sounds like fun!

Reactions: Rich

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
This settled it for me: I am going to save my yearly tradition of watching "It Was A Short Summer, Charlie Brown" for Labor Day and instead watch something eerie and spooky for Jack o' Lantern Day! I also happen to have a vanilla pumpkin candle on hand to burn, so this is going to be a great mini-holiday!

Thanks, Snake!

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
This settled it for me: I am going to save my yearly tradition of watching "It Was A Short Summer, Charlie Brown" for Labor Day and instead watch something eerie and spooky for Jack o' Lantern Day! I also happen to have a vanilla pumpkin candle on hand to burn, so this is going to be a great mini-holiday!

Thanks, Snake!

My hope is that we get this out to the masses, and this becomes a welcome new addition to the countdown! When i was still on reddit, i shared "Mini-Christmas" with so many people, and so many people wrote to me and told me how much it helped them with easing the PCB's. Who knows maybe this satiates fellow Bers lovers like myself, and provides another layer to our beloved Christmas countdown and the cool things we celebrate on this site like milestone days and Tom Turkey Day!

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Happy Jack-O'-Lantern Day ghosts and ghouls!!!
jackolantern_02.gif

• Love
Reactions: cgmcav and LadyLynn

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
I am so thrilled we have another holiday to celebrate throughout the year. :D
This is going to be awesome!!!
I'm playing a Halloween playlist on Spotify all day today. It really sets the mood.

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
It was an awesome Jack O Lantern Day. The weather was awesome! Borderline chilly, with showers off and on. We closed out the evening as planned by lighting up these guys to signify that THE BERS have arrived. These guys are going to light the way the rest of the BERS up until the point that the inside decorations are turned over to all Christmas on Nov 1st.

JACK O LANTERN DAY WILL RETURN ON JANUARY 31st, 2021!!

Big Halloween Tree 2.jpg

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
It was an awesome Jack O Lantern Day. The weather was awesome! Borderline chilly, with showers off and on. We closed out the evening as planned by lighting up these guys to signify that THE BERS have arrived. These guys are going to light the way the rest of the BERS up until the point that the inside decorations are turned over to all Christmas on Nov 1st.

JACK O LANTERN DAY WILL RETURN ON JANUARY 31st, 2021!!

View attachment 72928
They look great!
Happy Jack-O'-Lantern Day yesterday!!!

Reactions: SolidSnake84

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
Jack o'Lantern Day is a great addition! I had fun yesterday! Since I'm not a huge horror movie fan, I watched "Signs" to celebrate. It's not that scary (I'm a huge wimp when it comes to horror movies), but I'm thinking for the next Jack o'Lantern Day I will step out of my comfort zone a bit and watch "Silent Hill." I was really into those games in college, especially Silent Hill 2.

Reactions: SolidSnake84

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
Jack o'Lantern Day is a great addition! I had fun yesterday! Since I'm not a huge horror movie fan, I watched "Signs" to celebrate. It's not that scary (I'm a huge wimp when it comes to horror movies), but I'm thinking for the next Jack o'Lantern Day I will step out of my comfort zone a bit and watch "Silent Hill." I was really into those games in college, especially Silent Hill 2.

Oh yeah, played the first 3 games relentlessly, with my brother. We were big fans. I think both Silent Hill movies are great!

Do whatever you want on Jack O' Lantern day, but remember, it doesn't HAVE to be scary movies if you choose to do a marathon, or even watch just one movie. Jack O Lantern day is in the friendly spirit of ALL THINGS Fall related. So if there is just a show or an movie that gives you big fall vibes, that works too. A good example of a TV show is Supernatural, there are lots of episodes that perfectly capture that Fall / Halloween type feeling.

Here is another good one, that is now on my Jack O Lantern Day / Fall playlist:

I promise you can almost SMELL the autumn leaves and the woodsmoke from burn piles / chimneys, etc.!

• Love
Reactions: Storeytime and Rich

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
The first Jack O Lantern day of 2021 is in the books! It was different due to the snow storm, but Harry Potter and the pumpkin candles set the tone and the atmosphere, like they always do. The electric Jack O Lantern kept watch over the entire evening.

Jack O Lantern will return in 58 Days! See you in March!

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
Well guys, we are here again. Almost time for Jack O Lantern Day #2. I'm going to be watching "Darkness Falls", and "30 Days of Night" to try and set the mood for what is supposed to be a rainy night, not so unlike many of the October days that we love and dream about.

Less than 24 hours out now!!!

Jack O Lantern Day #2.jpg

cgmcav

Snowman Engineer
MMC Member
Jul 29, 2013
I ended up watching Winchester on Netflix (fine, not great. Not as bad as reviews would suggest) and the first half of the Halloween episode of The Snoopy Show. Good stuff!

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
HAPPY JOL DAY # 3!

When our Memorial Day celebration is over later this afternoon, I am settling in for JOL Day # 3. I have "Halloween 4", and "Dead Silence" picked out for my films. I have said it before many times over, but I think Halloween 4 has the best opening of any film I've watched, that sets the tone for Fall / Harvest time!

Jack O Lantern Day #3.png

Have a great JOL Day, friends!

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
Happy JOL Day #3 to all!. I agree with SolidSnake, after today's activities to honor Memorial Day, this evening I am going enjoy some Halloween-esque activities, and might just borrow another page from his Dark Arts playbook and watch some Harry Potter. I can't believe tomorrow we greet a new month and are that much closer to so many wonderful days!

cgmcav

Snowman Engineer
MMC Member
Jul 29, 2013
Going to try for Halloween-ish movie today, but if no time I have my fingers crossed for a new Purple Stuff Podcast dropping today to listen to while I do the very unHalloween task of mowing the lawn.

Reactions: Rich and LadyLynn

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
Happy JOL Day #3 to all!. I agree with SolidSnake, after today's activities to honor Memorial Day, this evening I am going enjoy some Halloween-esque activities, and might just borrow another page from his Dark Arts playbook and watch some Harry Potter. I can't believe tomorrow we greet a new month and are that much closer to so many wonderful days!
That's a great idea, especially since I missed Dark Arts Sunday yesterday. I was looking for something Halloweenish to do tonight, and I think Harry Potter is the correct answer.

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas
Going to try for Halloween-ish movie today, but if no time I have my fingers crossed for a new Purple Stuff Podcast dropping today to listen to while I do the very unHalloween task of mowing the lawn.
OK, I've got to check out this Purple Stuff podcast everyone keeps talking about.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image