“Merry Christmas” vs.“Happy Holiday"

J

Jinglebelle

You said it!

e_xander said:
I was watching the Christmas special of Blue Collar TV with Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy and Bill Engval, and there was a skit put on by Larry the Cable Guy where he does what's called a Pollically Corrected up Tale. He did 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. I can't remember how it was PC'd, but it was funny how he said it. Even though it was done tongue in cheek, there was a message there that I liked. This country is getting to uptight not to offend anyone, that we are getting stupid with what we can and cannot say. What happened to the first ammendment. Now I'm not a bigot or racist and agree with what you can't say with those issues, but when it comes to Christmas, Jesus and what not, what the @#%! is going on here?!?! (I'll get off my soapbox now)

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!!

Sean

I too saw that episode it WAS funny. But your right, it made me think,
how stupid to have such a controversy over something as harmless as saying Merry Christmas... Besides, it really dosen't matter how politically correct you are, SOMEONE somewhere will always be offended by anything, and everything!

:(

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
didnt you hear the one about the guy suing to get "in god we trust" taken off money, because he was an atheist? So we should change the currency of the entire country for one person?

J

Jinglebelle

No I hadn't heard that yet, I believe it ... people are so unrealistic anymore...
Maybe he should just stop using our currency, and switch to checks, and debit/credit cards, if he has such a problem.

In this day of direct deposit I think anybody with a checking acount (which are usually free for the basic account), could live with out cash.
Seriously, I rarely use cash except for fast food drive thru's and the occasional yard sale.

I guess having an entire country's currency change, would be easier than just not using it anymore...? :-o

J

Jinglebelle

I guess not using cash anymore would take some creative thinking...

Perhaps your kids would accept pre-loaded Visa cards? You could load them on-line and never have to touch cash again... maybe you could get a toll bridge pass or something, on-line...never use change again??

But I have no thoughts on avoiding using cash at things like school events, carnivals, pageants, bake sales, and girl scout cookies... oh yeah, and yard sales...
:-?

dominick

MMC Emeritus
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 9, 2006
South Holland, IL
No matter what anyone says, cash is still king... at least for now it is. It's my understanding that they've been trying something in parts of Europe and Asia that links your phone to your credit card or bank account, and people could transfer funds from person to person by linking phones. Sounds like another opportunity for fraud to me, but it's not like they're at a loss for scams now.

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
I know in japan they do it with cell phones. Wanna buy a newspaper? Boop. there you go. Want a soda from the machine? Boop
its coming you watch

caseydbell

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Nov 5, 2005
Houston Texas
caseydbell.wordpress.com
I say Christmas, now that I have started Target I may have to say happy holidays, Ill ask when the season draws near, dont want to ask now, to early for most

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
oh yeah, i know what you mean
EZpass is what we call it

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
it took the wife & I a couple minutes to remember

J

Jinglebelle

My husband is an OTR truck driver, EZPass saves him time and it's all automatic, very cool!

Chillywilly

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 21, 2007
Northern California
I am bring back a old one. But for me and my house it is Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Head Elf

Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant
MMC Lifer
MMC Emeritus Member
Christmas Talk Alum
Jul 8, 2007
N.E. Arizona
In our house it is Happy Christmas or Merry Yule. Either way it's Merry Christmas!!!!

scooterbugs25

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Aug 21, 2007
We have Always Said Merry Christmas as well

This past year me and my brother started playing with the words

And came up with; Happy Kwana-Christa-Chanuka-mas-adan

For Kwanza Christmas Chanukah and Ramadan... :p

We may played with the words but still it is Merry Christmas

Reactions: 1 person

ilovesilentnight

Eggnog Chugger
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Aug 2, 2007
Kansas
i say happy holidays when it's thanksgiving. But after thanksgiving it's merry christmas for me

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image