“Merry Christmas” vs.“Happy Holiday"

sarahelizabeth

Tinsel Straightener
MMC Member
Sep 18, 2006
Kettering, Ohio
I don't think there is anything wrong with saying "Happy Holidays", but I also don't think people should take offense when someone wishes you Merry Christmas.

I say "Happy Holidays" around Thanksgiving time and then usually Merry Christmas after Thanksgiving. I usually don't pay much attention to what I say, as long as I get the point across. People really overanalyze things.

snowangel77

Tinsel Straightener
MMC Member
Sep 6, 2007
UK
Coming in late on this one ... but yes, I always wish people a very 'Merry Christmas'. If they choose to be offended by that then it's down to them. I wouldn't be offended if someone wished me "Happy Holidays" either but for me it's Merry Christmas all the way!

kidzrme

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Nov 20, 2006
MARTHA'S VINEYARD, MA.
personally I have always said MERRY CHRISTMAS!

G

gameshowguy2000

I think Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays are one and the same. Just like I point out in the "Christmas Tree vs. Holiday Tree" thread, it's not just the Christmas season, it's the Holiday Season, and it involves 3 holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's; those who celebrate Hannukah and Kwanzaa can make it 5)

MerrySouthernChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 19, 2007
To people i know and love i'll always say "Merry Christmas", but to people i don't know as well, I'll say happy holidays, but that is just because all my life i've been at school, and it's always been 'Holiday Parties' and 'Holiday Concerts' and 'Winter Dances'

(I love this one song "Kung Pao Buckaroo Holiday" where every time they say Christmas, they get bleeped, and when they start to sing White Christmas, they get bleeped out because they said white and they're supposed to say 'Caucasion'. Extremely funny.)

Last edited:

kgstyles

Mistletoeologist
MMC Lifer
Nov 12, 2006
Grand Forks, North Dakota
From the 1st of November until Thanksgiving Day, I say Happy Thanksgiving. From Thanksgiving Day unil December 26th I say Merry Christmas. From December 26th until January 1st I say Happy New Year! I usually correct people when they say Happy Holidays to me and say you mean Merry Christmas. A lot of people want to say Merry Christmas but they are afraid of offending other people which I found to be disgusting. I tell them they watch the news too much. But any greeting is better than no greeting at all.

G

gameshowguy2000

Exactly. Which is why Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings are all one and the same. (Just like the Christmas season=Holiday season, because of the 3 major holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's; those who celebrate Hannukah and Kwanzaa can make it 5)

Michael Rielly

MMC Master of SantaClausology
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
MMC Partner
Aug 25, 2006
Rhode Island
jdrfoundation.org
Exactly. Which is why Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings are all one and the same. (Just like the Christmas season=Holiday season, because of the 3 major holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's; those who celebrate Hannukah and Kwanzaa can make it 5)

Keep trying GameShowGuy. Oh and...

Merry Christmas!

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com

No, they are not one and the same.

You can say "Happy Holidays" to anyone but you cannot say "Merry Christmas" to every one.

Perception is not in the eye of the speaker but rather in the listener.

J

Jinglebelle

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying "Happy Holidays", but I also don't think people should take offense when someone wishes you Merry Christmas.

People really over analyze things.

Very good piont, I agree totally!

But, I'm a "Merry Christmas" kind of gal myself :D

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Seriously. As long as we have people being this brain dead we're going to have folks who will get offended by the words "Merry Christmas".

We're working on our annual list of "who will and who will not say it" and I find it even part of my own training with my troops over the holidays. Officially, the company doesn't have a "Merry Christmas" policy. But many more are going that way because...some people are just brain dead and itching to fight over nothing.

MerrySouthernChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 19, 2007
I'll happily say "Merry Christmas!"....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

HollyJells

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Nov 7, 2006
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Merry Christmas....

Last year I got some strange looks when I wished everyone merry holidays and Happy christmas. I mean how in the world are we supposed to know what people celebrate this time of year anyhow? I have also gone so far as to tell several people Happy Merry Yuletide, because I get frustrated when SOME people get offended and I am not one to want to get huffy right back. I think this year I will just tell them Merry Merry and be done with it. We had a jewish couple come to our house for a meeting and they were both impressed with how pretty our house was. They had adopted a non jewish child and the mother wanted me to give her tips as to how to decorate and incorporate Christmas into their festvities. I gave her a few books I had gotten from a friend that explained different ways to incorporate different holidays together. We went over a week later and I was seeing green because they had a tree that was absolutely off the pages of a Chirstmas catalog. Now when we wish them a Happy Hannukah- they all wish us a Merry Christmas. So I dont think it really matters what you say- it is in the meaning that you say it.

scooterbugs25

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
Aug 21, 2007
Last year I got some strange looks when I wished everyone merry holidays and Happy christmas. I mean how in the world are we supposed to know what people celebrate this time of year anyhow? I have also gone so far as to tell several people Happy Merry Yuletide, because I get frustrated when SOME people get offended and I am not one to want to get huffy right back. I think this year I will just tell them Merry Merry and be done with it. We had a jewish couple come to our house for a meeting and they were both impressed with how pretty our house was. They had adopted a non jewish child and the mother wanted me to give her tips as to how to decorate and incorporate Christmas into their festvities. I gave her a few books I had gotten from a friend that explained different ways to incorporate different holidays together. We went over a week later and I was seeing green because they had a tree that was absolutely off the pages of a Chirstmas catalog. Now when we wish them a Happy Hannukah- they all wish us a Merry Christmas. So I dont think it really matters what you say- it is in the meaning that you say it.

I agree with you.

MerrySouthernChristmas

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 19, 2007
... So I dont think it really matters what you say- it is in the meaning that you say it.

Totally.
It doesn't matter what you wish someone, as long as you wish them all the joy and happiness that comes with the season.

Miss Darcy

Chestnut Roaster
MMC Member
Oct 29, 2007
England
I generally say Merry Christmas and I do think it is much nicer then saying Happy Christmas, but I have to admit that I do sometimes find myself saying Happy instead of Merry.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image