2013 Celebrity Passages

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
Rapper Chris Kelley, from the group Kris Kross was found dead today.
Poor kid was 34

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
Jeanne cooper has died. Star of the Young & the restless, mother of Corbin Bernsen, died at age 84

Reactions: 1 person

momnan30

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Feb 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Jeanne cooper has died. Star of the Young & the restless, mother of Corbin Bernsen, died at age 84
Oh man, bummer. I watched The Young and the Restless all though my college years.
I always remember with a chuckle my mother evaluating Jeanne Cooper for plastic surgery. She'd say...she's having work done!
Rest in peace, Jeanne.

snowflake22

*Harlowe's Mom*
MMC Lifer
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 10, 2011
Wisconsin
Oh man, bummer. I watched The Young and the Restless all though my college years.
I always remember with a chuckle my mother evaluating Jeanne Cooper for plastic surgery. She'd say...she's having work done!
Rest in peace, Jeanne.

=] I love that, momnan!

She seemed like such a feisty lady!! Such a professional, I will miss seeing her on Y & R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Forgot to mention: a day or two ago, we lost Ray Harryhausen, special-effects wizard of the movies, renowned for his stop-motion animation.

XmasDreams

North Pole Network Help
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
ATC Alum
Sep 13, 2010
Huntland, Tn
Forgot to mention: a day or two ago, we lost Ray Harryhausen, special-effects wizard of the movies, renowned for his stop-motion animation.

yea i posted about it the other day. so sad he was such a legend and pioneer

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
yea i posted about it the other day. so sad he was such a legend and pioneer

I'm sorry I didn't see that before I barged in ... that'll teach me to look before I leap. Thanks for posting that.

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
RIP Jean Stapleton (Christmas Episode of All in the Family)

The world lost another great one yesterday -- Jean Stapleton, most famous for the character of Edith Bunker on All in the Family.

In her honor here is one of the Christmas episodes of All in the Family, a classic to captures the essence of Edith:

[youtube_browser]yXv-W3XNYcc[/youtube_browser]

Reactions: 2 people

Courtney

Makin' A Comeback!
MMC Lifer
Jul 21, 2008
Home
Jean Stapleton's death is so sad, I always loved her in AITF. She always reminded me a bit of my Mom. - May she rest peacefully.

XmasDreams

North Pole Network Help
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
ATC Alum
Sep 13, 2010
Huntland, Tn
Joey Covington died in a car wreck this week

He was 67...

The desert sun reports that Jefferson Airplane drummer Joey Covington has died at the age of 67 in a car crash in Palm Springs on Tuesday. He played with the band from 1970 to 1972 and later in the offshoot band Hot Tuna.

The death was confirmed by Jefferson Starship's Facebook page. The message read: "Rest in peace, Joey."

The crash happened at 4:53 PM on Tuesday. Police were called to Belardo Road and South Palm Canyon Drive where Covington crashed his Honda Civic into a retaining wall. He was not wearing a seat belt at the time. He was driving south on Belardo, where the road curves to the east. He hit a log at the bottom of the wall and the impact caused it to fly onto an elevated driveway several feet above the crash site. A guest at the Best Western Inn at Palm Springs tried to help him, but he died at the scene. Police do not believe that alcohol or drugs were involved.

Alvin Taylor met Covington while drumming for Pacific Gas & Electric (1970's "Are You Ready?"). Covington had just got together with members of Jefferson Airplane and was one of the founding members of Hot Tuna. The two became friends.

After speaking with Covington's common law wife, Taylor said: "Joey was just down-to-earth, the most honest person, loving — he really loved his wife, Lauren, with all of his heart — just a very kind, considerate, jovial person."

Keith McCormick, owner of McCormick's Classic Car Auctions, has been Covington's friend for a few years and sold several of his gold albums at an auction. He said the death was a shock because he just performed Saturday at Marilyn Monroe's 87th birthday concert in downtown Palm Springs. Taylor didn't get to see the performance because he was out of town at his own show, but Covington recently saw Taylor play with the band California at the Palm Canyon Roadhouse. Covington's wife thinks a stroke or heart attack led to the crash.

411 would like to give our condolences to his family, friends and fans.

XmasDreams

North Pole Network Help
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
ATC Alum
Sep 13, 2010
Huntland, Tn
Country Singer Slim Whitman Dies At Age 90

Country Singer Slim Whitman Dies At Age 90

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/22634454/family-country-singer-slim-whitman-dies-at-age-90
MIAMI (AP) - Country singer Slim Whitman, the high-pitched yodeler who sold millions of records through ever-present TV ads in the 1980s and 1990s and whose song saved the world in the film comedy "Mars Attacks!," died Wednesday at a Florida hospital. He was 90.
Whitman died of heart failure at Orange Park Medical Center, his son-in-law Roy Beagle said.
Whitman's tenor falsetto and ebony mustache and sideburns became global trademarks - and an inspiration for countless jokes - thanks to the TV commercials that pitched his records.
But he was a serious musical influence on early rock, and in the British Isles, he was known as a pioneer of country music for popularizing the style there. Whitman also encouraged a teen Elvis Presley when he was the headliner on the bill and the young singer was making his professional debut.
Whitman recorded more than 65 albums and sold millions of records, including 4 million of "All My Best" that was marketed on TV.
His career spanned six decades, beginning in the late 1940s, but he achieved cult figure status in the 1980s. His visage as an ordinary guy singing romantic ballads struck a responsive chord with the public.
"All of a sudden, here comes a guy in a black and white suit, with a mustache and a receding hairline, playing a guitar and singing `Rose Marie,'" Whitman told The Associated Press in 1991. "They hadn't seen that."
For most of the 1980s, he was consistent fodder for Johnny Carson's monologues on late night NBC-TV, and the butt of Slim Whitman look-alike contests.
"That TV ad is the reason I'm still here," he said. "It buys fuel for the boat."
"I almost didn't do them. I had seen those kinds of commercials and didn't like them. But it was one of the smartest things I ever did."
He yodeled throughout his career and had a three-octave singing range. Whitman said yodeling required rehearsal.
"It's like a prize fighter. He knows he has a fight coming up, so he gets in the gym and trains. So when I have a show coming up, I practice yodeling."
Born Ottis Dewey Whitman Jr. in Tampa on Jan. 23, 1923, he worked as a young man in a meatpacking plant, at a shipyard and as a postman.
He was able to get on radio in Tampa and signed with RCA Records in 1949 with the help of Col. Tom Parker, who later became Presley's longtime manager. RCA gave Whitman the show business name Slim - he was a slender 6-foot-1 - to replace his uninspiring birth name.
In 1952, Whitman had his first hit record, "Love Song of the Waterfall," which 25 years later became part of the soundtrack of the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." Another Whitman hit from that year, "Indian Love Call," was used to humorous effect in the 1996 "Mars Attacks!" - his yodel causes the Martians' heads to explode.
He crossed paths with Presley in July 1954 when he starred at a concert in a Memphis park just as Presley - mistakenly billed as "Ellis Presley" in one ad for the show - was launching his career.
According to Peter Guralnick's book "Last Train to Memphis," Presley's brief, energetic turn on stage caused a wild reaction from the crowd. When Whitman came on for his performance, he told the audience: "You know, I can understand your reaction, `cause I was standing backstage and I was enjoying it just as much as you."
With Whitman's early hits, he became a star on the "Louisiana Hayride" radio show.
His version of "Rose Marie," the title song from the venerable operetta that spawned "Indian Love Call," became a huge hit in England in 1955, staying at No. 1 on the charts for 11 weeks.
Whitman's other hits included "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You," "Red River Valley," "Danny Boy" and "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen."
"The material I did was lasting material," Whitman said in 1991. "A lot of people thought I wasn't doing anything, but I was in the studio. The biggest factor is the material you choose. You hunt, you cut."
He was survived by his daughter, Sharon Beagle, and his son, Byron Whitman.
Whitman told the AP in 1991 that he wanted to be remembered as "a nice guy."
"I don't think you've ever heard anything bad about me, and I'd like to keep it that way. I'd like my son (Bryon) to remember me as a good dad. I'd like the people to remember me as having a good voice and a clean suit."

dvdelf

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Aug 22, 2006
James Gandolphini of the Sopranos passed away today of a heart attack.

Meceka

MMC Associate Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan
:(

Status