Christmas Countdown - 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nitro

Let's keep this thread going as strong as possible through the year to blow past last year's record.

On a sour note anyone taking their tree down this weekend? :-(...my family is undecided yet. Last year we kept it up to about the 20th of Jan. I hate taking it down...but like I've seen people say before if we left it up all year then Christmas would lose some of its specialness.

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
Happy New Year everyone!

Christmas is 357 days away from now...and we are taking our tree down tomorrow...:(....but it´s alright with me...Christmas was a good one...and now it´s time to move on.....and look forward to this new year....and then....celebrate christmas again...I will start Christmas shopping very soon this year....maybe a present per month...that would be the greatest way to do it...that way...I would never have any problems with presents....financial wise

trackrebel

candy cane hustla
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2008
Germany
sports.groups.yahoo.com
you are so right!

i am so excited for this countdown, christmas '09 is going to be the best, i can feel it!

man, i'm hungover...

:D....sorry bout that homegirl....for whatever reason...I can go on drinking for quite some time...I think I haven´t been hungover since....before my pregnancy even...had many glaces of strawberry punch (lots of red wine inside, plus some type of strawberry sparkling wine) ....at least 6 glasses...and about three sparkling wines.....:D....not feelin anything...of course I wouldn´t drive no more after so many drinks....but I ain´t hungover either...:D

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
Happy New Year!

New year --- new count! And it is so much fun seeing the number of pages go up, and the number of post go up!

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
So -- do you celebrate on New Years Eve? On New Years Day? Both? Neither? And does it change from year to year?

This year, we went to a warm and happy party on New Year Eve. New Years Day - just exchanging phone calls with friends and relatives.

The Christmas tree is still up. Ornaments are gradually finding their way into the storage boxes. Then - the tree may stay up with just its lights -- until I am gently told that the tree MUST be taken down now.

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
Do you have goals.. dreams.. even resolutions.,.. for 2009?

Yes, I do.

And what is your reason for asking?

Crown 84

Official MMC Countmeister
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Awww, Gee!
You folks are the greatest!
This thread lives through all of you. Thanks!

And yes, our tree is still up. We always keep all of our decorations and lights up and lit through New Year's Day, which of course means they come down tomorrow.
Sad, but yes - that does insure that it stays special!

kcmsom76

Mistletoe Hanger
MMC Member
Nov 29, 2008
North Carolina
~Happy New Year, Everyone!!!~

I just got back home from my aunt's house. We had our annual New Year's Day Feast. We had hog jowls, black eyed peas, cooked cabbage, cole slaw, biscuits, mashed potatoes, gravy, pork ribs, macaroni and cheese, etc. We had cheesecake, chocolate eclairs, coconut pie, pecan pie, and seven layer bars for dessert.

We have had this feast every year for at least all of my 32 years. :) The black eyed peas stand for change in your pocket, and the cabbage stands for paper money in your pocket for the New Year. I don't believe in all that, but I do enjoy getting together with my extended family every chance I can get.

Do any of you have a special New Year's Day feast? If so, what do you have? And what does the food represent to your family?

N

Nitro

I don't have a big feast on New Years but yours does sound very good.

My big meal is Christmas eve dinner. I know some people do have a new years big meal tho...I had a good dinner but nothing like your feast for it.

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
Nitro - going back to your post about taking down the Christmas tree...... It is VERY cold here now. The dark night comes early. The Christmas tree is such a warm, glowing spot of beauty -- and it stands in a window to cheer anyone who passes by. I know hat New Years Day is often considered the day the tree must be taken down to be in good taste....

Hey -- wait a minute! What do I have to do with good taste? Why,,, nothing. Nothing at all! So.. my tree is still glowing so beautifully tonight, the night of January 1st.

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
Now... just because my tree is still up now... that doesn't mean it has to stay up all year. It just means... that my husband and I still want to keep it up. Remember -people in our neighborhood kept their outside lights on until March. (Just some of the people.) And one person decided to keep her beautiful outside lights on all year -- and everyone quite loves it that she does!

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
And... I do know that lif moves on. In fact - I like life. And - I like it to move on. I am just still enjoying that warm, glowing, beautiful tree. And.. so is my husband. So - we will take it day by day.

SparkleNana

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
May 19, 2008
Oh - New Years Day food. Yes - cabbage and black eyed peas - cooked with delicious things. Symbols of prosperity for the new year. Also - simple, inexpensive, healthy food after days of overindulgence. Win-win.

sugarplum fairy

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Nov 13, 2006
Alabama
Well, I just got back from my Mom's. We had a New Year's dinner with all of my family. All of the traditional New Year's food was served plus more. I am stuffed. I am so going back on my weight loss program. I know I have gained more than a few pounds this season. Oh well, I have all year to lose it again.

We still have all of our Christmas decorations up. We will take them down this weekend. I go back to work Monday, and the kids go back to school Tuesday. Time for the old routine to start again. That is always such a bummer.

I'm looking forward to counting down the days until Christmas with you all again this year.

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
:hello: Look at that. Not quite through the day yet and we're already on page four.

Our 2009 Countdown is off to a good start.

Mumof2

One Happy lil Elf
MMC Lifer
Oct 23, 2007
Boston, Ma
www.facebook.com
I was wondering when this thread was gonna get started. whooo I can't wait for it..Im already planning for easter..oh lord..:D

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
About food and New Year's: Currently, anything goes that we have a craving for.

In previous years, my husband and I used to have a few light orderves on New Year's Eve and toast with our Bride and Groom Wedding glasses at midnight. New Year's Day's meal sometimes involves ordering in Chinese food, but not this year. We had ribs and potato salad.

When I was younger, my dad would make Cannelloni Meat Pie for us to eat before the Christmas Eve visitors arrived. Now there's such a smorgasbord of tasty nibbles offered that we skip the meat pie and have it on Boxing Day if we're together. Christmas morning, he usually fixes us up with some type of seafood or pancakes and for dinner we always had Turkey with the trimmings and on New Year's we'd have ham with dishes we didn't have with the turkey.

One New Year's morning, I woke my mom up nice and early and asked if we could have a big breakfast. I didn't know it at the time, but she had a hangover and didn't feel like cooking and wanted to sleep a bit more so she said, "why don't you and your brothers break up the Gingerbread House" and that's how our tradition began and we continued to celebrate New Year's Day by skipping breakfast and eating gingerbread.

Don't do that anymore. I'd be happy with a vegie and cheese omelet. cheesy

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Feeling a little blue...just poured my very last dregs of eggnog into my glass...no more until I carve the Halloween Pumpkins!

Awe, now that's a depressing thought! Kinda like right now..it's 12:30 am & I am watching the last of the Christmas movies on tv (Hallmark Channel!)! I feel like I need to stay up until they are done to say goodbye to another year of wonderful Christmas television! :(

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Here is this years annual NYD party picture! This is the group of friends who came to our house today...we had such a great time! Lots of good food, friends, & fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image