Christmas Countdown - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

noodlenoggin

Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
MMC Member
Jan 14, 2015
Definitely going to watch more Christmas shows throughout the year in the "off-sesaon." I have too many to watch all in December.

There are quite a few Christmas movies that I only discovered once the season was over. Especially during that tumultuous time known as the first half of January, when the season is clearly over, but it's still close enough to having recently been the season that you can't quite let it go completely. That's the time I usually find myself frantically looking for anything Christmas related to come on TV. There's always a number of scattered Christmas movies and TV episodes that air in the immediate weeks after Christmas, and in my mind, at least I like to think so, is still a remnant of the season that just passed and isn't just a random airing for that particular network. And in that desperate search I'll pretty much watch any movie or TV special that comes on. There are quite a few TV shows and movies that I wouldn't bother with during the actual season, favoring my go to viewings during that time rather than take a chance on something I'm not sure about. But once there's nothing else to choose from and I'm willing to watch anything even remotely Christmas related I do end up discovering things that become required viewing the following year actually during the season.

noodlenoggin

MMC Member
Jan 14, 2015
As far as I'm concerned this is still a major holiday within the overall holiday and Christmas season.
Not until Jan 2 can it be considered over, so I'm not understanding why some feel it is over already. I'm watching DVR recordings all day long of things I recorded throughout December.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
As far as I'm concerned this is still a major holiday within the overall holiday and Christmas season.
Not until Jan 2 can it be considered over, so I'm not understanding why some feel it is over already. I'm watching DVR recordings all day long of things I recorded throughout December.
I think today is the day for many because it's a new year. They look at today as a new beginning to look ahead to Christmas season 2017.

e_xander

Executive Producer, Tracking Santa
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 8, 2006
Fall Creek, Wisconsin
christmaspodcasts.com
I have some that I only watch in the off time. (Well what you consider off time..lol)
For some reason over the years they have become my spring,summer classics and I dont even consider watching them around Christmas. Then there are others I only will watch near Christmas and no other time of the year.

I'd be interested in knowing what your choices are for only "off-season" movies and in season movies.

noodlenoggin

MMC Member
Jan 14, 2015
I think today is the day for many because it's a new year. They look at today as a new beginning to look ahead to Christmas season 2017.

But it's still part of the 2016 holiday season in my opinion. Obviously not just this year, but every year, I've always considered New Years Day as the final holiday of the holiday season, not the first holiday of the new year leading to next holiday season. No reason why it can't be both I suppose.

I'm not trying to argue...I can just feel the PCB's setting in...sigh...

xmas365

“Yes! Yes I do! I like Christmas! I love Christmas
MMC Lifer
Jan 5, 2010
Massachusetts
Well back to being the strange guy who listens to Christmas music out of season .
If that is the case, I am proud to be strange just like you.

xmas365

“Yes! Yes I do! I like Christmas! I love Christmas
MMC Lifer
Jan 5, 2010
Massachusetts
But it's still part of the 2016 holiday season in my opinion. Obviously not just this year, but every year, I've always considered New Years Day as the final holiday of the holiday season, not the first holiday of the new year leading to next holiday season. No reason why it can't be both I suppose.

I'm not trying to argue...I can just feel the PCB's setting in...sigh...
If you think of it, we are still in the "12 days of Christmas." January 6 is Three Kings Day or little Christmas, January 7 (my birthday) is orthodox Christmas, and all the way on February 2 is Candlemas. I have never been to clear on what exactly that is but I will copy it and post.

Candlemas, also known as the Feast of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary and F9east of the Presentation of our Lord Jesus, is a Christian holiday commemorating the presentation of Jesus at the Temple. It falls on February 2, which is traditionally the 40th day of the Christmas-Epiphany season.[1] While it is customary for Christians in some countries to remove their Christmas decorations on Twelfth Night (Epiphany Eve),[2] those in other Christian countries historically remove them on Candlemas.[3][4] On Candlemas, many Christians (especially Anglicans, Methodists, Lutherans and Roman Catholics) also bring their candles to their local church, where they are blessed and then used for the rest of the year.

noodlenoggin

MMC Member
Jan 14, 2015
If you think of it, we are still in the "12 days of Christmas." January 6 is Three Kings Day or little Christmas, January 7 (my birthday) is orthodox Christmas, and all the way on February 2 is Candlemas. I have never been to clear on what exactly that is but I will copy it and post.

Candlemas, also known as the Feast of the Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary and F9east of the Presentation of our Lord Jesus, is a Christian holiday commemorating the presentation of Jesus at the Temple. It falls on February 2, which is traditionally the 40th day of the Christmas-Epiphany season.[1] While it is customary for Christians in some countries to remove their Christmas decorations on Twelfth Night (Epiphany Eve),[2] those in other Christian countries historically remove them on Candlemas.[3][4] On Candlemas, many Christians (especially Anglicans, Methodists, Lutherans and Roman Catholics) also bring their candles to their local church, where they are blessed and then used for the rest of the year.

Thanks for that. I learned about Candlemas a while back, not surprisingly, while searching for exactly when the Christmas season is over in an effort to extend it as far as I can. It was an incredible holiday season that year about five years ago, and is the one that really reinvigorated my love for the holidays as an adult. It's stayed with me ever since and has become a big part of my life now. And similar to what you, RachRon, and Edge612 have said, back to being that weird guy who insists it's still the Christmas season weeks after Christmas Day has passed.

Solice

Christmas Royalty
MMC Lifer
Dec 31, 2008
Scandinavian
Happy New Year everybody!
We still have three more days until Christmas vacation is over❤

Have some mixed feelings, and feeling a bit post Christmas blues...

Glad to spend another year here with you guys ❤

Last edited:

NcGunny

Candycane Wrangler
MMC Emeritus Member
Dec 28, 2015
Ny
I'd be interested in knowing what your choices are for only "off-season" movies and in season movies.
Alot of off season tend to be....Disney, Emmet Otter, TV series Christmas Specials (I guess they all fall into what I consider the ones that represent true Christmas spirit)
In seasons are always the Hallmarks or made for tv movies. Also the classics like Rudolph,Grinch..etc seem to be any time of the year. Never figured out why I view them this way but it works for me..lol!!
Happy New Years E!!!

RachRon

Elf Supervisor
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2010
Massachusetts
Even though for me personally the season is not over it seems like everyone around me has moved on already. There is nothing I find more depressing than seeing trees sitting on the sidewalk before the 1st still green as can be and the scent is still there as well..

e_xander

MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 8, 2006
Fall Creek, Wisconsin
christmaspodcasts.com
Alot of off season tend to be....Disney, Emmet Otter, TV series Christmas Specials (I guess they all fall into what I consider the ones that represent true Christmas spirit)
In seasons are always the Hallmarks or made for tv movies. Also the classics like Rudolph,Grinch..etc seem to be any time of the year. Never figured out why I view them this way but it works for me..lol!!
Happy New Years E!!!

Happy New Year to you too, Gunny! Thanks, it's always fun to see what others ideas are and what they like to do. IMHO there's no wrong way or reason. It's what works for that person and I love hearing about other people's ideas/traditions.

noodlenoggin

MMC Member
Jan 14, 2015
Even though for me personally the season is not over it seems like everyone around me has moved on already. There is nothing I find more depressing than seeing trees sitting on the sidewalk before the 1st still green as can be and the scent is still there as well..

Yea, it's almost like some people find it to be more of a chore to have a tree up and can't wait until the first possible moment they can to throw it away.

It can be a somewhat of a lonely time of year in the weeks immediately following Christmas, and especially after New Years, when everyone else around has moved on but the seasons still isn't quite over for me. I like to think when I still see lights up in those weeks that it's because others feel the same way, and that it's not just because people simply haven't gotten around to taking them down.

Personally, I hate Valentines Day. But not for reasons people typically tend to hate Valentines Day. I hate it because it's about the surest sign that the Christmas season is completely over. I'd keep a mid-size tree up with white lights on it and around the house all winter if it weren't for Valentines Day being a wrench in things and making me feel kinda stupid for doing that. Then I have to fake like I'm into Valentines Day when I really just want it to still be Christmas.

RachRon

Elf Supervisor
MMC Lifer
Aug 23, 2010
Massachusetts
On a lighter note this past Christmas Eve we tried something new .I heard of the Saran Wrap game and spent some time buying little trinkets and candy as well as some gift cards and slowly put it all together at my house my kids are older oldest being 23 then 20 and 15 we had so much family fun playing this game it has become a must for next season . To make it more challenging I included cheap gloves and sunglasses wrapped inside and if you got them you had to wear them for the rest of the game .highly recommend this to everyone if you've never heard of it .

noodlenoggin

MMC Member
Jan 14, 2015

One of the best off season movies I like to watch is Paul Blart: Mall Cop. It's a good fun family comedy, and while not technically billed as a "holiday" movie, it takes place during Thanksgiving weekend and uses that as a backdrop for the events that unfold. One of the opening shots of the movie is of a mall fully decorated for Christmas time, with Santa and everything else you would expect to see in a mall during the holidays. Even throughout the movie during sequences taking place inside the mall you'll hear a lot of Christmas music played in the background. The main plot of the movie takes place on Black Friday, obviously the busiest shopping day of the year, and one in which a mall security guard might find his hands full. So it's very much entrenched in the midst of the holiday season. But at the same time is completely not considered a holiday movie. I think at one point they considered making it specifically a holiday movie in the traditional sense but scrapped that angle to give it a more widespread appeal. Either way, it's a great movie to watch in the Spring and Summer time to get the holiday wheels turning. It's also no coincidence that I worked as a security guard in the past which is why I watched it in the first place, so combining that with my love for the holidays it became an instant favorite for me.

e_xander

MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Christmas Talk Alum
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 8, 2006
Fall Creek, Wisconsin
christmaspodcasts.com
One of the best off season movies I like to watch is Paul Blart: Mall Cop. It's a good fun family comedy, and while not technically billed as a "holiday" movie, it takes place during Thanksgiving weekend and uses that as a backdrop for the events that unfold. One of the opening shots of the movie is of a mall fully decorated for Christmas time, with Santa and everything else you would expect to see in a mall during the holidays. Even throughout the movie during sequences taking place inside the mall you'll hear a lot of Christmas music played in the background. The main plot of the movie takes place on Black Friday, obviously the busiest shopping day of the year, and one in which a mall security guard might find his hands full. So it's very much entrenched in the midst of the holiday season. But at the same time is completely not considered a holiday movie. I think at one point they considered making it specifically a holiday movie in the traditional sense but scrapped that angle to give it a more widespread appeal. Either way, it's a great movie to watch in the Spring and Summer time to get the holiday wheels turning. It's also no coincidence that I worked as a security guard in the past which is why I watched it in the first place, so combining that with my love for the holidays it became an instant favorite for me.

Never thought if Paul Blart as a holiday movie. Very interesting, I'll have to watch that again keeping in mind what you've said. Thanks noodlenoggin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image