Christmas Countdown - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowflakeMom

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
Merry Friday!! It is cold outside and supposed to be chilly all weekend but like Edge said at least it will be dry. My cousin and her family from Long Island are coming down tomorrow. Not really sure what we are doing but were thinking of going out to dinner and then going bowling. On Sunday my daughter, has a basketball game but it is here in town so not too bad. Then I will definitely need to hit the grocery store. Hope you all have a great weekend!

SnowflakeMom

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
we have here a wonderful place called "The House of Blessing" It is a food bank, a place where those in need can get free clothing. They provide counselling, programs for parents and children, and so much more. They also have a Christmas toy drive which was well under way already.
Earlier this week they had a fire
https://www.stratfordbeaconherald.c...1uJn4HieKrusgvw1-SVtn4BmCDkRvEEmlzIovDfg0_FQ4
The city and area is really rallying around and helping restock the food suppies and try to replace the lost toys and clothing.
Please pray for these folks who do so much to help others
That is very sad...especially this time of the year. Sounds great that everyone is coming together. Sending prayers!

Crown 84

Official MMC Countmeister
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Good Morning, Guys!

Can you believe.
After today, HALF of Christmas Season 2018 will have passed!
(Time is just racing away.)

Just check out the count:
Days to Christmas Day: 18
Barely over 2 1/2 weeks left, now!

The cold weather has settled in here now and we are in for a lengthy chilly spell, with frozen precipitation of some sort by late tomorrow or early Sunday.
We are presently at 37 degrees, here.

Hope you have a Fabulous Frost-Free Friday, Friends!
Try to stay warm!

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Once upon a time, my brilliant bride had to wrap every present in different paper. No two Christmas morning surprises wore the same clothing. This kept her up into the wee hours, each year. Thankfully, she had an epiphany watching our, then, cherubs gleefully shred her fine work and toss same into a bag for recycling in far less time than it had taken her to create her masterpieces. Peace and sleep are far more plentiful on present day Christmas Eves than they were during those well intended yuletides of yore.

I often wrap gifts for the same person in the same wrap or using similar gift bags; theme wrapping is fun.

When we were youngsters, my Aunt and her daughters spent several hours wrapping our gifts in the most amazing ways. One year it took me until New Year's to unwrap my gift because it was decorated so beautifully I did not want to disturb the wrap. My mom continued to urge me each day saying, "She'll want to know you liked the gift, but you haven't opened it yet." I'd reply, "I thanked her for my Santa." I felt like the adorable tissue paper and construction paper Santa was enough. I tried to snuggle it (although it was a bit hard). My brother said, "There probably is toy inside. Don't you want another present?" Finally, my Goldie cat tore a piece of the tissue and I decided to take a look and unveiled a huge festive colouring book with dot-to-dots and other activities to keep me busy.

Another time she wrapped what looked like a huge Church from the outside and it lasted until Boxing Day, and behold inside was a Fisher Price school house (the original style) to add to my collection.

When she passed and we were sharing memories at her gathering, I spoke about the time, love and attention that went into her gift wrapping. Others realized and agreed about the gift within the gift she gave to us and the tender thoughts behind them.

I'm not nearly as creative as she ever was, but I try and make a merry effort at it.

HomemakinGirl

Christmas Cookie Baking Crew
MMC Lifer
Jul 17, 2011
Long Island, New York
Good morning ~
Merry Friday!
I’m just having my coffee and I’m working on a menu plan and grocery list. I’m going to take a ride to the butcher in a little bit. Back home afterward to work on some chores around the house. I’m having lunch with my mother today. My middle one has an appointment to have her bridesmaid dress altered later this afternoon so I’ll be taking a ride with her for that. I think that’s about it. I hope everyone has a nice day and a great weekend ahead!
xx

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
So, Mrs Bear helped me put up my little tree, of which I still need to decorate fully. She also surprised me with an amazing advent calendar, which has a meaningful little gift in each day(box).

Despite all of this yuletide gaiety, i'm still unable to flex my christmas muscles. Ok, strange year - but somehow feeling almost repelled by christmas! Gasp! a phase i'm sure, lest my MMC card be revoked :)

Work is pretty hectic, so that's probably it - usually by now i'd be playing nethack, listening to 80s chrimbo cheese, and madly looking forward to the xmas flights to the UK.

Anyone else sometimes feel a bit underwhelmed by it? Serious question - not trolling.

I had a Christmas like that back in College when I didn't care about the french fry at the bottom of the oven and didn't feel like decorating or shopping for gifts or listening to Christmas music or watching yuletide flicks.

It took me a bit of time to realize I was missing the people who were gone and the memories of magical Christmases as a child when our family would visit relatives throughout the season and I could enjoy different decorations and crack open nuts at each stop and hear stories and laughter and we would dress up in fancy clothes (some that made their way under the tree). I was living 4 hours away and realized I was homesick and traditional Christmas sick (if there is such a thing). I snapped back into my merry reality when I realized the only way out of it was to make the most of the time now and share some of those earlier memories instead of keeping them bottled up.

I was also worried I wasn't going to make it home for Christmas, but I did and more than that a cousin of mine got me a part-time job at a flower shop so I managed to earn a few bucks while I was home for the entire school break.

Tending to Poinsettia and other festive floral arrangements worked wonders for what ailed me. I was in charge of wrapping the orders that were being dropped off locally. A few names I recognized so I'd add an extra bow and festive message pick to the arrangement.

Rest assured, your MMC membership card is in good standing; in fact, coming here is good medicine for the merry soul. I hope it helps lift your spirits.

Beannachtai na Nollag duit (The Blessings of Christmas be with you)

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I am off today and heading out shortly to shop for my youngest granddaughters and pick up something for the young son of a co-worker. Most of my friends with children call me "auntie" even though we aren't related so I often give them a little something at Christmas.

My brother from Ottawa is coming for a visit before Christmas, I'm supposed to be out of town, but I'll try and switch those days so I can visit with him for a bit.

It's extremely cold here today, but the sun is shining and I'll have my Sirius holiday tunes playing to keep me company between destinations.

Not sure what I'm doing for the cat, we have no room for anything new; think I'll just give him a new gift bag to rest on and dig out some old cat toys, maybe attach a few dangly things to a box fort to encourage some exercise.

Keep a merry thought in your head
-surprise-

Martine

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 13, 2010
Canada
Good Friday morning! And a cold one at that. I’m working the afternoon/evening shift so I’m currently making supper. Then I’ll watch something Christmassy, probably Love Actually, because I know David doesn’t like that movie very much. I am still way behind on everything Christmas. I haven’t bought a single gift yet, though I have a list. Next Tuesday when I have off I’ll have to go shopping and get things done. Hope everyone will have a great day!

Last edited:

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
So, Mrs Bear helped me put up my little tree, of which I still need to decorate fully. She also surprised me with an amazing advent calendar, which has a meaningful little gift in each day(box).

Despite all of this yuletide gaiety, i'm still unable to flex my christmas muscles. Ok, strange year - but somehow feeling almost repelled by christmas! Gasp! a phase i'm sure, lest my MMC card be revoked :)

Work is pretty hectic, so that's probably it - usually by now i'd be playing nethack, listening to 80s chrimbo cheese, and madly looking forward to the xmas flights to the UK.

Anyone else sometimes feel a bit underwhelmed by it? Serious question - not trolling.
Sometimes life in general is hectic, and it makes you feel like all the Christmas stuff is adding more to the plate. I hope that is just temporary for you, and that Christmas enjoyment will catch up with you. Don't force it, let it come to you. Try to find a few quiet moments with your tree, maybe that will help.

Christmaswarlock

Santa's Sleigh Designer
MMC Member
Nov 18, 2018
Atlanta
Good Morning, Guys!

Can you believe.

The cold weather has settled in here now and we are in for a lengthy chilly spell, with frozen precipitation of some sort by late tomorrow or early Sunday.

Try to stay warm!
Thanks Crown. My friend lives in Boone and he was sending me videos of the storm a few days ago. Maybe you will receive a gifting of snow.

Minta

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Oct 10, 2004
South NJ
Good Morning, Guys!

Can you believe.

Try to stay warm!

Time is going by way to fast ... It needs to slow down. Stay safe with the pending weather.

whitney37354

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Jan 16, 2009
Tennessee
The parade that was re-scheduled for tomorrow has now been rescheduled again for Tuesday @ 5pm. That makes it hard for those who work day shift. I'll have to take time off work to get DD where she needs to be. DH will be able to make in on time since he works just a few minutes from the parade route & gets off work @ 4:30. However, it does mean we get another free Saturday to stay at home and do Christmas things. It's supposed to be cold and rainy/snowy from Saturday through Monday.

We've had so many deaths locally this week. I have two funerals to attend this weekend among the Christmas activities.

I hope everyone has a good weekend!

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Today is just another day of work. Tonight we will make some more slice and bake cookies and I will catch up on laundry. Tomorrow is my day off and we have breakfast with Santa at my dads work

Sounds so nice! Enjoy your day off!

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Merry Friday!! It is cold outside and supposed to be chilly all weekend but like Edge said at least it will be dry. My cousin and her family from Long Island are coming down tomorrow. Not really sure what we are doing but were thinking of going out to dinner and then going bowling. On Sunday my daughter, has a basketball game but it is here in town so not too bad. Then I will definitely need to hit the grocery store. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Have a fun time with your family - praying for safe travels for them!

Meceka

MMC Associate Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan
Thanks, Meceka! Hope you had a great day!

You're welcome, Sugar!
Thank you, I did. Other than the traveling, the day was quite nice, but I was very thankful to get home and relax!
Praying you get quality rest when you have down time!!
Have a merry weekend!!
xx

Meceka

MMC Associate Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan
we have here a wonderful place called "The House of Blessing" It is a food bank, a place where those in need can get free clothing. They provide counselling, programs for parents and children, and so much more. They also have a Christmas toy drive which was well under way already.
Earlier this week they had a fire
https://www.stratfordbeaconherald.c...1uJn4HieKrusgvw1-SVtn4BmCDkRvEEmlzIovDfg0_FQ4
The city and area is really rallying around and helping restock the food suppies and try to replace the lost toys and clothing.
Please pray for these folks who do so much to help others

How awful, CS. My prayers are on the way!
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image