Halloween 2021 Countdown!

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
Halloween weekend has officially begun! Enjoy the spooky weekend all.
It is here!!! Thanks to SolidSnake for this thread and for shining a light on Halloween. I have always enjoyed it and used to have my own little 90 countdown, but this is SO much better!!!

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
Morning Halloween Fans! It's Halloween Weekend! Do I really need to say more? This weekend is what this thread is really about. Let's enjoy it now. Halloween shows/candy and more. Have a great day!

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
DAYS TO HALLOWEEN: 1

*Warning* - Long Read Ahead - Introspective / reflective post for 2021

Good Morning Halloween Friends! Today is really the last "full" Day that I will have enjoying Halloween season. I know Halloween isn't until tomorrow, but tomorrow we are taking our trip up to Shenandoah National Park / Skyline Drive, and I will be gone most of the morning. When I return home, It will be a mad scramble to mow my grass here, and get down and mow my Grandma's field for (hopefully) the last time this season. The rest of the evening will be me getting out tubs of lights and decorations and "staging" them, so everything will be ready to go for Monday. I'm hoping to catch Michael on TV at least one or two more times before we say goodbye to him for a little while.

So it's time for me to look back on 2021, as far as our Halloween countdown went, and everything in between. I'm always trying to add and improve, so part of that process means identifying areas for improvement. Here I go:

What I got "right":

#1) The Countdown
- This was my first year keeping a full 365 day countdown, and I'm happy we never missed a day here. I'm already looking forward to the countdown that will start again tomorrow evening / night. I'm going to try and add more to it, and have more subjects for discussion. Many times this year we almost had like a poll / group discussion and I thought it was awesome.

#2) My outside decorations - This year I put up my Fall decorations on the 3rd week of August. It just felt like the perfect time. I put up the Halloween decorations and pumpkins roughly a week later, to coincide with The Bers arriving. Folks, I had FUN decorating for Halloween and I can't wait to add more next year.

#3) Jack O Lantern Days - Since being "created" in 2020, I have always looked forward to JOL Days as much as I do Rudolph Day, so I knew then I had found something special, to share some of that "special space" with my love of Christmas. Just about everything about them, I couldn't have asked for the better experience. Only room for more improvement, IMO. I LOVE my two giant Halloween pumpkins from Costco that light up and laugh, and I decided that they will come out for 2022 for each JOL Day. I used to only bring them out for Halfoween, and then for "good" once The Bers arrived, but they make me so happy, I want to see them more next year.

#4) Halfoween - I felt like the countdown / buildup to Halfoween was awesome this year. And me having my two day special movie event was great. I loved it, I really felt like Halloween that last week of April. This is going to be bigger and greater this year, I'll elaborate on it more once we get to 2022.

#5) Dark Arts Sundays - Not much to say here, HP movies always set the tone to bring in a Halloween atmosphere. And I was fortunate that my own "Dark Arts Sundays" basically rang in the fact that a JOL Day was coming soon. It was a good feeling. They perfectly served that role just like they did on SyFy this month, to basically "ring in" that Halloween is coming. They will be returning in 2022.

Halloween "duds" :

We talk in here often about "Halloween Duds". I myself did experience some, but brief, "Duds" this year, in my own festivities. I also suffered many months trying to work on our Cherry Cider recipe. By the time I got it perfect, it was almost September! So many nights I tried to enjoy my various noxious concoctions, it was for sure a labor of love. Looking back, my best JOL Day experiences were ones that had big-time classic Halloween movies, think Michael, or Jason. I can think of two JOL Days where neither Michael or our masked friend Jason made an appearance. And the evening suffered. These would have been 8/10, or even 7/10 where everything else was perfect - music, atmosphere, weather, "smells" (lol), but not having these guys really left a lot to be desired. Coming up in 2022, I'm going to lean heavily on these two guys to deliver me the perfect experience. I can't get everything right all the time!

So that's it friends. We've just about closed the book on 2021 Halloween, but there's still two whole days of fun left. I'm glad for MMC, as always, and for letting me keep this thread going. And I think the new thread will be even better, hopefully we pick up some new watchers / contributors. I still feel like there are a LOT of people, who don't realize just how much Halloween really is part of Christmas Season.

Have a great day, friends!

Last edited:

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication, enjoy the Halloween weekend and your trip to the National Park, this is what we have all been waiting for!

Irish75

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Member
Jan 7, 2018
Pittsburgh

Good Morning Halloween Friends! Today is really the last "full" Day that I will have enjoying Halloween season. I know Halloween isn't until tomorrow, but tomorrow we are taking our trip up to Shenandoah National Park / Skyline Drive, and I will be gone most of the morning. When I return home, It will be a mad scramble to mow my grass here, and get down and mow my Grandma's field for (hopefully) the last time this season. The rest of the evening will be me getting out tubs of lights and decorations and "staging" them, so everything will be ready to go for Monday. I'm hoping to catch Michael on TV at least one or two more times before we say goodbye to him for a little while.

So it's time for me to look back on 2021, as far as our Halloween countdown went, and everything in between. I'm always trying to add and improve, so part of that process means identifying areas for improvement. Here I go:

What I got "right":

#1) The Countdown
- This was my first year keeping a full 365 day countdown, and I'm happy we never missed a day here. I'm already looking forward to the countdown that will start again tomorrow evening / night. I'm going to try and add more to it, and have more subjects for discussion. Many times this year we almost had like a poll / group discussion and I thought it was awesome.

#2) My outside decorations - This year I put up my Fall decorations on the 3rd week of August. It just felt like the perfect time. I put up the Halloween decorations and pumpkins roughly a week later, to coincide with The Bers arriving. Folks, I had FUN decorating for Halloween and I can't wait to add more next year.

#3) Jack O Lantern Days - Since being "created" in 2020, I have always looked forward to JOL Days as much as I do Rudolph Day, so I knew then I had found something special, to share some of that "special space" with my love of Christmas. Just about everything about them, I couldn't have asked for the better experience. Only room for more improvement, IMO. I LOVE my two giant Halloween pumpkins from Costco that light up and laugh, and I decided that they will come out for 2022 for each JOL Day. I used to only bring them out for Halfoween, and then for "good" once The Bers arrived, but they make me so happy, I want to see them more next year.

#4) Halfoween - I felt like the countdown / buildup to Halfoween was awesome this year. And me having my two day special movie event was great. I loved it, I really felt like Halloween that last week of April. This is going to be bigger and greater this year, I'll elaborate on it more once we get to 2022.

#5) Dark Arts Sundays - Not much to say here, HP movies always set the tone to bring in a Halloween atmosphere. And I was fortunate that my own "Dark Arts Sundays" basically rang in the fact that a JOL Day was coming soon. It was a good feeling. They perfectly served that role just like they did on SyFy this month, to basically "ring in" that Halloween is coming. They will be returning in 2022.

Halloween "duds" :

We talk in here often about "Halloween Duds". I myself did experience some, but brief, "Duds" this year, in my own festivities. I also suffered many months trying to work on our Cherry Cider recipe. By the time I got it perfect, it was almost September! So many nights I tried to enjoy my various noxious concoctions, it was for sure a labor of love. Looking back, my best JOL Day experiences were ones that had big-time classic Halloween movies, think Michael, or Jason. I can think of two JOL Days where neither Michael or our masked friend Jason made an appearance. And the evening suffered. These would have been 8/10, or even 7/10 where everything else was perfect - music, atmosphere, weather, "smells" (lol), but not having these guys really left a lot to be desired. Coming up in 2022, I'm going to lean heavily on these two guys to deliver me the perfect experience. I can't get everything right all the time!

So that's it friends. We've just about closed the book on 2021 Halloween, but there's still two whole days of fun left. I'm glad for MMC, as always, and for letting me keep this thread going. And I think the new thread will be even better, hopefully we pick up some new watchers / contributors. I still feel like there are a LOT of people, who don't realize just how much Halloween really is part of Christmas Season.

Thanks solidsnake84. The Halloween thread was perfect. It made the year so much more enjoyable along with the other chit chat holiday threads. Looking forward to the new count and seeing what will be added. Happy Halloween and enjoy the trip to the national park.

The_Escalation

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 25, 2020
Texas

What I got "right":

#1) The Countdown

Halloween "duds" :

Congrats on a great first year of the thread, Snake. Enjoy that trip tomorrow, and enjoy the upcoming "bonus months!" Looking forward to the new thread for 2022!

Irish75

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Member
Jan 7, 2018
Pittsburgh
Halloween eve or devil's night as it was called around here when i was kid is upon us. Going to get together with my inlaws this evening. Will be bringing chips, queso, salsa, and guacamole. Going. To serve on tray with carved out pumkin. Queso bowl will sit in pumpkin while guac will come out of mouth! Like to add something Halloween where i can.

LadyLynn

The Christmas Freak
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 22, 2020
Riverton, Utah

What I got "right":

#1) The Countdown

Halloween "duds" :

Thank you for making this a more Halloweeny year!

LadyLynn

The Christmas Freak
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Jun 22, 2020
Riverton, Utah
I am pretty excited. There is some kind of weather event going on and last night, tonight and tomorrow night, there is a chance of seeing the Northern Lights where I live. I didn't see them last night but I have two more nights to try. Perfect for Halloween weekend.

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
I am pretty excited. There is some kind of weather event going on and last night, tonight and tomorrow night, there is a chance of seeing the Northern Lights where I live. I didn't see them last night but I have two more nights to try. Perfect for Halloween weekend.
There is a slim chance here that I might be able to see them too, I have only seen them once before.

Cedar Grove

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Aug 31, 2020
East Tennessee
Here's something I'll be doing (or not doing) to prepare for Halloween night:

Y'see, my formative years were from a time and place where Halloween meant real mischief, from the cute to the aggravating to the downright destructive and dangerous. (And I'll not talk about that last kind; wouldn't want to give any of you guys ideas.)

Of the milder type, the classic example, from old school country life, was turning over someone's outhouse, or putting the farmer's wagon on top of the barn. Well, I grew up in town, but I remember the wicker furniture on our high front porch getting thrown into the yard. Homeowners just knew to lock up or nail down every piece of movable personal property on Halloween night.

Well, for the 32 years Ms. G and I have lived in this house I have drug the garbage can down to the street on Sunday night, to be picked up by the city trash crew on Monday morning. But not this year.

One year, not even on Halloween but around Halloween, I put out the can on Sunday night, then came out early Monday morning to get the newspaper, and discovered the can to have vanished. I spotted it a half block up the street, in the middle of the street. It was still upright and full of garbage. This year I'm not going to count on them being so courteous as to that last point.

We have a big can; it can hold another week's worth of garbage before I take it to the street next Sunday night.

And I'm going to lock my VW Golf in the garage, so it doesn't get flipped over on its roof.

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
DAYS TO HALLOWEEN: 0

HAPPY HALLOWEEN 2021.JPG

Good Morning and Happy Halloween!!

We did it, guys! We kept the count all 365 days this year! Here in a few more minutes, I am leaving for Shenandoah National Park. I wish you all a safe and happy Halloween!

Remember, tonight at around 8:00 PM, I will be back to create the "NEW" 2022 Countdown Thread, I will link to it here, and then Mr. Jeff Westover is going to lock down this "old" thread sometime this evening, so that we will ALL be using the NEW thread by later tonight / tomorrow November 1st! This ride has been a blast! Thank you all for helping me contribute!

See you later this evening!

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
We made it!!!

happy_halloween_01.gif

happy_halloween_02.gif

jackolantern_01.gif

cgmcav

Snowman Engineer
MMC Member
Jul 29, 2013

What I got "right":

#1) The Countdown

Halloween "duds" :

Great post! thanks for all your hard work. Not just from making a daily countdown post (which in itself is crazy) but for breathing life into this forum and creating a great little niche community. All year I viewed it as a place I could take a quick respite with my a.m. coffee before starting my day (and of course checking in throughout the rest of the day). You established a fun and welcoming tone and no doubt lured people in who may have never given two thoughts to Halloween in February. And can't not mention all the regular posters in here who have such amazing and create posts. I even want to give a shout out to the lurkers who, for whatever their reasons, don't like to post but we know are out there. Plus, what's Halloween without having people lurking in the shadows? So, big thank you for holding all of this together throughout the year. Take a bow!

cgmcav

Snowman Engineer
MMC Member
Jul 29, 2013
So this is it! Happy Halloween everyone! Days to Halloween: 0.

This is what we were counting down all year and looking so forward to. So, important note here! Things can get hectic, stuff to be done, craziness to deal with, costumes and make up to apply, etc... So be sure to stop a few times today and be in the moment. Go admire those decorations you put up, as well as your neighbors decorations. Savor each doorbell ring and "trick or treat!|" tonight. Sneak that candy out of your bowl (or better yet...out of your kids' bowl!) Love that it's just a bit colder out. Remember to light that scented candle with the weird description. Enjoy that special pumpkin beer you've been saving (ok, that suggestion was for me). Just be sure you take a moment to stop and smell the pumpkins!

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
I wonder if we'll be having a big heat wave on Halloween. View attachment 82003
I really thought the weather might surprise us and give us a heat wave! But today's weather here is a high of 53 and cloudy with tonight dipping down to 30! Wednesday's low is going to be 23, BRRRR! Hope the weather is good for you Rich
I have never seen them so I have my fingers crossed. Let me know if you get to see them.
I didn't see them, they said that they would be low to the horizon so I think there was just too much light pollution. I even checked at 3:00 am, but no luck.

How about you, did the Northern Lights show up for you?

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image