Halloween Candy - Sweet Talk

Festive Spirit

Christmas Royalty
MMC Lifer
Sep 11, 2012
England
More info about Mary Janes --- I didn't know they were made by Necco! Well, that means you can't get them anymore (except for old stock), because Necco went out of business due to bankruptcy earlier this summer. They were peanut butter and molasses taffy.
That's a shame about the company going out of business. It sounds like an interesting combination of flavours!

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
That's a shame about the company going out of business. It sounds like an interesting combination of flavours!
Peanut butter and molasses is a nice combination---a bit like adding a bit of honey to toast spread with peanut butter.

The combination of flavors from Necco that WE'LL miss most are two:
--Sky-Bar was a chocolate bar in four segments, each holding a different-flavor center: one chocolate cream, one vanilla cream, one caramel, and one peanut caramel;
--Haviland Orange Mints, which came out during the holiday season: little dark-chocolate-covered mild peppermint wafers flavored with a hint of orange. Gosh, but we'll miss those this holiday season.

Reactions: Festive Spirit

Festive Spirit

Christmas Royalty
MMC Lifer
Sep 11, 2012
England
I never heard of the candy, but the Pink Panther dates from the 1960s to 1970s---first the series of Pink Panther movies (most starring Peter Sellers as the feckless Inspector Clouseau), then as a cartoon series. Here's the label:

View attachment 48701
Wow! Thanks for posting. I have seen the Pink Panther movies and cartoons. I loved the cartoon, it was right up there with Top Cat :) Iconic theme music wasn't it!!! My parents liked the movies a lot. I remember the comics too. Funny they haven't tried to reboot it yet.

We still get the pink panther wafers.

Festive Spirit

Christmas Royalty
MMC Lifer
Sep 11, 2012
England
Peanut butter and molasses is a nice combination---a bit like adding a bit of honey to toast spread with peanut butter.

The combination of flavors from Necco that WE'LL miss most are two:
--Sky-Bar was a chocolate bar in four segments, each holding a different-flavor center: one chocolate cream, one vanilla cream, one caramel, and one peanut caramel;
--Haviland Orange Mints, which came out during the holiday season: little dark-chocolate-covered mild peppermint wafers flavored with a hint of orange. Gosh, but we'll miss those this holiday season.
Wow I wish I could have tried those. What a great idea to have four flavours of chocolate in one bar! Can't say I've seen anything like that here! I've never had orange and mint together but it sounds like a christmassy combination indeed!

We have Terry's Chocolate Orange which is quite big here around Christmas. I do really like the orange flavour in chocolate and I always associate it with Christmas.

After Eights are also a seasonal favourite here too. Mint Chocolate thins. I am not all that keen on Mint flavoured chocolate but I would try those Orange Mint wafers you mentioned!!!

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Wow! Thanks for posting. I have seen the Pink Panther movies and cartoons. I loved the cartoon, it was right up there with Top Cat :) Iconic theme music wasn't it!!! My parents liked the movies a lot. I remember the comics too. Funny they haven't tried to reboot it yet.

We still get the pink panther wafers.
The Pink Panther theme was by Henry Mancini. Yes, iconic! We have a collection of the cartoons on DVD that we enjoy.

As for Top Cat---we enjoy those, too. Did you know it was a knockoff of Phil Silvers' Sergeant Bilko TV show of the 1950s? Those connected with the show deny it, BUT ... one evening we watched a Sergeant Bilko episode; the following night we watched a Top Cat cartoon, and the plot (and even some of the dialogue!) were almost identical! And the voice of Benny the Ball was an actor from the Bilko series. Arnold Stang, the voice of Top Cat, lived a couple towns over from us and went to the same dentist as we. Never ran into him in the waiting room, but we spoke with him on the phone once or twice about some of his more obscure films.

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Wow I wish I could have tried those. What a great idea to have four flavours of chocolate in one bar! Can't say I've seen anything like that here! I've never had orange and mint together but it sounds like a christmassy combination indeed!

We have Terry's Chocolate Orange which is quite big here around Christmas. I do really like the orange flavour in chocolate and I always associate it with Christmas.

After Eights are also a seasonal favourite here too. Mint Chocolate thins. I am not all that keen on Mint flavoured chocolate but I would try those Orange Mint wafers you mentioned!!!

We're big fans of Terry Chocolate Oranges! I always hand out a few as Christmas gifts (and always buy too many so we have a few for ourselves!). We have the After Eight mints over here, too.

Sky Bar looked like this, cut open:

Sky-Bar-Split.jpg

The wrapper:

download.jpeg

(Oh, man, I'm getting chocolate cravings now ...)

Kristian Jennings

Christmas Saint
MMC Member
Sep 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I am not much of a candy eater but when fall arrives with Halloween in the air, it's like a candy spell has been cast and I find myself indulging in sweet treats for a few weeks. I love seeing Halloween candy in the shops and having a bowl of it in the house even if it's just for display. Along with ghosts, witches and Jack O Lanterns, candy is such a huge part of Halloween!

What are your candy temptations and what was your favourite growing up? Have you ever had a great idea for one and is there any no longer in production that you wish was still around?

....and please help yourself to some candy while you're here.
For many years snickers have always been my favourite :) Snickers-in-an-orange-bowl.jpg

Reactions: Festive Spirit

XmasDreams

North Pole Network Help
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
ATC Alum
Sep 13, 2010
Huntland, Tn
My husband bought a bag of dark chocolate kit kats and I have been enjoying them a little too much!

Love just about all the different flavors for Kit Kats. Right now some of the ones from japan are really good like the Mochi

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image