Halloween Countdown and Gathering—2018

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
Saw some up here too. As much as it's a good thing that we have all the holidays after Halloween to make us not get too depressed about it the one thing that kind of sucks is really once Halloween ends people pretty much forget about it by November 1, unlike Christmas which for many people goes well into January (and in some cases February).

Jason

Reindeer Pooper Scooper
MMC Member
Jan 24, 2017
Vermont
Saw some up here too. As much as it's a good thing that we have all the holidays after Halloween to make us not get too depressed about it the one thing that kind of sucks is really once Halloween ends people pretty much forget about it by November 1, unlike Christmas which for many people goes well into January (and in some cases February).
Yeah its just so true about this Holiday and November 1. I've still seen quite a few decorations out here as we begin a new week on Nov. 6. I guess it's just a good thing we can feel the season prior to Oct 31 like we do. Once November hits it's mostly on to Christmas. So many ads started on Nov 1 which is also very cool. Can't forget about Thanksgiving first though!

Jason

Reindeer Pooper Scooper
MMC Member
Jan 24, 2017
Vermont
Does anybody ever get post Halloween blues? I sure do. I guess the only thing that makes it easier is that it leads right into Thanksgiving and Christmas. But every year I'm always in full Halloween mode for at least a week after. I think the only thing that makes it easier is that it leads right into Thanksgiving and Christmas. Because even though Halloween is basically on par with Christmas nowadays for me, there isn't that sense of finality to it when it's over like there is January.

This year was kind of odd too. We had a pretty strong heat wave here in Southern California that lasted the entire month of October. So that was kind of a bummer. For as much as I wanted to get into it at times, sometimes it's just hard to when it's so dang hot outside. Don't get me wrong, it was a great October and I did plenty of Halloween related things, but I still would have preferred much cooler weather. The first signs of any Fall type weather have barely begun to show this week.

Which is why I think the post-Halloween blues are hitting me a little bit right now. Now that the weather I wanted all of October has finally rolled in, I guess I want to still make like it's Halloween time, even if it's only for a few more days. Like this weekend for example, I spent the afternoon going to all the Halloween stores still open in my area, now it's Saturday night and I'm about to watch a scary movie, and I have all my spooky decorations still out. I plan to do the same all day tomorrow too. You wouldn't even know that Halloween was a few days ago.

Anyways, I know we all get the post Christmas blues, so I have to think there is a similar effect for all the Halloween loving MMCers as well. Does anybody else carry on their Halloween spirit once the day has actually passed, even for just a day or two? How long do you keep your Halloween decorations up (in terms of consciously wanting to do so versus just putting off taking them down)?
My Halloween stuff is up till today. I start in mid September and typically go till the end of the week of Halloween which this year would be Nov 5. To keep them up any longer might take away from the special feeling I get when they come back out in the Fall. One small glimmer of hope as far as Halloween is concerned, is to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas and basically one month later at the end of January, you are quickly 1/3 back to the start of October. I always think about that every year, doesn't seem like just one month into a new year you would have cleared the first 1/3 to October, but that's some fast progress. That's one way I look at it anyway.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
Yeah its just so true about this Holiday and November 1. I've still seen quite a few decorations out here as we begin a new week on Nov. 6. I guess it's just a good thing we can feel the season prior to Oct 31 like we do. Once November hits it's mostly on to Christmas. So many ads started on Nov 1 which is also very cool. Can't forget about Thanksgiving first though!
Oh yeah never forget Thanksgiving. It's coming and it's one of the best days of the year.

noodlenoggin

Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
MMC Member
Jan 14, 2015

At least with Halloween you have something to directly look forward to immediately after to continue on in your holiday festivities overall. When it comes to Christmas, however, I'm absolutely floored sometimes at how quickly people seem to be able to forget about it once Christmas Day has passed.

A week ago today was Halloween...

Yep, exactly what I thought when I woke up. And still being in that "one week ago today" margin makes it justifiable to continue to carry it on.

After that one week margin passes I think is when you have to kind of start transitioning yourself away from it. You don't have to instantaneously let it go cold turkey (pun intended), you can balance it, and if you still feel like doing something Halloweenish, by all means do it. But at least start accepting that Thanksgiving/Christmas is going to take over very soon and start bringing those thoughts into your day a bit more. It's funny, because in the last couple of days I've found actually myself totally avoiding doing or watching or buying anything Christmassy simply because I'm sill trying to maintain the Halloween spirit as much as possible. Today will probably be my last day of doing that. And then starting tomorrow through the weekend I'll continue to do Halloween stuff but I'll also begin making that transition into Thanksgiving and Christmas, mainly swapping out the decorations.

noodlenoggin

MMC Member
Jan 14, 2015
My Halloween stuff is up till today. I start in mid September and typically go till the end of the week of Halloween which this year would be Nov 5. To keep them up any longer might take away from the special feeling I get when they come back out in the Fall. One small glimmer of hope as far as Halloween is concerned, is to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas and basically one month later at the end of January, you are quickly 1/3 back to the start of October. I always think about that every year, doesn't seem like just one month into a new year you would have cleared the first 1/3 to October, but that's some fast progress. That's one way I look at it anyway.

That's very true. For as hard as it can be, there is that feeling at mid-January, as you start letting go of the current season, that you're really not that far until the next season starts up again. I never really truly let it go completely either. I'm always just kind of waiting for the next round of Ber months.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
That's very true. For as hard as it can be, there is that feeling at mid-January, as you start letting go of the current season, that you're really not that far until the next season starts up again. I never really truly let it go completely either. I'm always just kind of waiting for the next round of Ber months.
The Bers are certainly proving why they are the best so far...and somehow believe it or not the "best" of the Bers is yet to come.

noodlenoggin

MMC Member
Jan 14, 2015
The Bers are certainly proving why they are the best so far...and somehow believe it or not the "best" of the Bers is yet to come.

It's funny you say that, because that was exactly the sort of comforting and reassuring thought I had yesterday. Looking around at my Halloween stuff knowing it's all about to come down today, mantle display finally taken down, Halloween themed lights finally turned off, everything packed away, jack-o-lanterns thrown away, I got the feels a little bit. And as I mentioned before, had it not been for that massive heat wave we had here all of October, it would have been even better and would have allowed me to delve into it much sooner and much deeper than I had. All in all it was still a really great Halloween season though. One that is definitely worth not wanting to let go of.

But then, it occurred to me, with the Fall weather finally having rolled in, we are now right in the midst of the season, with plenty more to go still. It's far from over, and Thanksgiving is right around the corner. And then of course after that, December arrives, where each and every day practically feels like its own little mini holiday. I started playing some first bit of Christmas tunes last night and reading the Christmas threads on this forum. Even went to Disneyland and walked around for an hour to take in the holiday festivities for the first time this season (it's close by and I have the cheap annual pass, so it's easy to go when it isn't a block out day).

Last night I also discovered on Reddit there is a Christmas page with folks a lot like us here at MMC that is similarly full of threads, photos, and just an overall passion for the holiday. It actually really reminded me of MMC in terms of how passionate the people there are about Christmas and how happy they are to have found a community to share with others in that passion, similar to how MMCers feel about this forum. Some people already have trees up and their homes fully decorated. Lots of discussion on what's wrong with people who seem to be bothered by other people who start their Christmas decorating and music playing early. And from what I gathered, for a few folks over there, Halloween, while I'm sure they enjoy it, is seen as that last day they have to wait before being able to put up Christmas stuff. One commenter even remarked that she spends her Halloween Day doing Christmas decorating, so that by midnight on Nov 1 her Christmas celebration is in full swing. Which is great! Totally different mindset than the demon and witch curses that Halloween lovers must thwart before midnight that night. But all the same nonetheless.

I'll post about all that in one of the Christmas threads here in a couple of days to give fellow MMCers another suggestion on finding a community like this. And vice versa, I'll go on there and hopefully introduce them all to MMC.

But yea, I think that natural shift from Halloween and Fall into Christmas and Winter is starting to take place, with Thanksgiving coming up and inevitably serving as the bridge for that. Hopefully this weekend I can find at least a small tree to put up in my room and start the Christmas decorating. Haven't quite forgotten about Halloween just yet, but I'm sure by the end of this weekend I will have naturally moved on from it, especially given that Thanksgiving is the week after.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
This week has been upside down for me so I have not been able to go to check out more Halloween sales. I am going to go though today or tomorrow for sure!

Festive Spirit

Christmas Royalty
MMC Lifer
Sep 11, 2012
England

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player