Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
**Kick-Off of American Idol 2010 -- Season 9**

I'm pleased to relaunch this thread to it's once again rightful place as our not-quite-#1-offseason diversion with this little announcement:

I am retiring from American Idol.

Ok, I know that doesn't have the impact as Simon's announcement today (not a shocker) and it won't draw the tears that Paula's AI departure brought (for about 30 seconds). And I'm upset that Simon picked today, of all days, to steal my thunder. Because I made this decision more than a month ago.

Not that anyone wants to know but there are many reasons why I won't watch AI anymore.

First, and likely most critical, I got rid of cable and don't watch broadcast television anymore. I got fed up with the media -- all of it -- after this last election cycle and removed it from my life. Other than baseball and occasional reruns of Andy Griffith, the West Wing and the 1978 World Series on ESPN Classic, there is no purpose for my flat screen than watching what I want to watch when I am able to watch it.

But more to the point, I think the whole Idol thing has made it's point and run it's course. It was never about real talent or likeability in the first place. It was more, as it is labeled in the industry, about reality television. That means side-line drama like how much cleavage Paula would show to just who stood watch outside her house stalking her (to tragic end, I might add).

It got to be all a bit...much.

American Idol is, I've determined, stubbornly un-American.

What do I mean by that?

Well, supposedly, using the true God of our age -- the Cell Phone -- the voice of the people who determine America's Idol.

But is it really?

Where have you gone, Taylor Hicks? We loved you but the media didn't. The only one who seemed to get trashed more than you that year was President Bush (did he get have an album no one heard, too?)

What happened to you Danny Gokey? While Kris Whatshisface actually won American Idol we see nothing but Adam Lambert all over the media post season-8. Meanwhile, Gokey releases an awesome song last week and nobody but nobody allows him to get kicked off of GMA. And why? Because we really don't get a vote or a voice after all.

But finally what did it for me is that I just don't feel like going through it again. I like the audition rounds but do I really have the heart to see senseless people ridiculed, mocked, and destroyed on national television and THEN go to endless commercial breaks?

I'm better than that.

Taylor Hicks was better than that. Carrie Underwood was better than that. Daughtry was better than that.

Do you see what I'm saying? It should be about the music.

And it seems to be about anything but.

In this age where I can program an iPod to give me and endless supply of music that can play unstopped for weeks on end I can better spend my time actually programming the thing than waiting for some results...after the break.

It is time for me to rise about American Idol. The Bible says to put away childish things, so I am. I will allow this thread, for those hangers-on who just can't give it up, to have their fun. But as for me, I'm sticking to the serious business of Santa Claus here and leaving my mark in other areas of these Merry Forums.

I wish you well.

Jeff

Maebeary

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Oct 24, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've been a fan since the middle of the first season. Does this mean we keep going on this thread for this year? Just wondering.....

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
I've been a fan since the middle of the first season. Does this mean we keep going on this thread for this year? Just wondering.....

Oh, by all means we'll keep this thread going for anyone who wants to use it. I'll just sound like a bigger idiot than usual when I come here only because I won't be watching AI.

joyful

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 25, 2006
northeast USA
I also have stopped watching American Idol and I really enjoyed it but the the newest judge addition has ruined the show for me.

In fact, I watch very little TV for the some of the same reasons you stated. It has had some postivie affects but also has brought out the worse in people.

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
I watched it last night and liked the last guy that was on. I don't usually watch the audition part because I hate hearing all of the bad singers.

judypancoast

Tinsel Straightener
MMC Member
Nov 3, 2008
New Hampshire
www.judypancoast.com
**Kick-Off of American Idol 2010 -- Season 9**

Where have you gone, Taylor Hicks? We loved you but the media didn't. The only one who seemed to get trashed more than you that year was President Bush (did he get have an album no one heard, too?)

Jeff

Hi Jeff.....
I'm sorry you're giving up....but remember...it's not just the winners who get to be heard. I've personally enjoyed hearing great talent like Brooke White and Jason Castro...and I'm a huge Taylor Hicks fan as well.
As a musician, I enjoy watching someone go from nowhere to stardom.
I do agree they are somewhat harsh...and I wish they wouldn't let so many obvious losers through so they could get trashed by the judges, but other than that, it's a fun diversion and a chance to hear some really great talent that I might otherwise have never heard.
Thanks for keeping the thread!

made582

MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
I will tell you right now that if they hire stern to take over for simon there is no way that I will ever watch it again. This week is hollywood week and when I really start to watch the show.

Mr Walker

Merry KISSmas
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 19, 2008
Stern doesn't want the Idol gig... he's angling to get money from Sirius and the ability to have a schedule that will allow him to take over Regis' spot on morning TV.

judypancoast

Tinsel Straightener
MMC Member
Nov 3, 2008
New Hampshire
www.judypancoast.com
Favorites?

Anybody have any favorites so far? I hated to see that little country bridge jumper get the boot so fast. I haven't seen the dock worker in Hollywood...did I miss him? Cause I thought he was fantastic and I'm ready to go out and buy his album now!

whitney37354

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Jan 16, 2009
Tennessee
Anybody have any favorites so far? I hated to see that little country bridge jumper get the boot so fast. I haven't seen the dock worker in Hollywood...did I miss him? Cause I thought he was fantastic and I'm ready to go out and buy his album now!

I live in the same county as Vanessa, the "little country bridge jumper". We all know we are "country", so we are proud of her & embarrassed of ourselves at the same time! We don't know how bad we sound to others until we hear one of our own on tv. At least no one on the show made fun of her, then we'd all have to be mad! I knew she didn't have a ghost of a chance in Hollywood, but I was proud of her for going for it.

DH & I don't have favorites yet & I debated even watching this year. I guess I'm in though. I don't like Miss Bossy from the last group that performed last night, just because of her attitude. Other than that, no one stands out yet.

made582

MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
Most of my favorites went home last night so I am not sure who I will be pulling for now.

made582

MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
Well theere was no one with great preformances last night. The only one I really remember is the one who went out 10th. I think that is just because she has a diffferent name that I can't remember. Hopefully the boys are better tonight.

made582

MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
The guys were defintely better last night. I still haven't picked out a favorite but it will probally be one of the guys.

made582

MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
I will agree with america this week on who went home and when you start to bad mouth the judges and say that they didn't give you enough constructive criticism you just look like a sore loser.

Maebeary

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Oct 24, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm watching, as I do every year. I'm not overly impressed but I'll still be watching.

made582

MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
I liked alex and was sad to see him go. I would say that big mike and crystal bowersox are probally the best at this point.

Maebeary

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Oct 24, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I like Mike, Crystal and Lee. I'm just not impressed with a lot of them. We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image