PETA Goes After the Kids this Thanksgiving

ElfBot

MMC Newshound
Oct 17, 2005
It’s that time of year again: time to speak up for the poor turkeys victimized by Thanksgiving. Last year, it was Ellen who declared turkey taboo for Thanksgiving. This year, it is once again PETA. And they are taking their argument straight to the kids. In seven states PETA is launching a billboard campaign featuring [...]

More...

Spyells

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Member
Sep 25, 2011
California
I've never been fond of PETA. Eating animals doesn't mean you don't respect them. And in fact, some countries eat dogs.

And as a side note the bible does mention that we are allowed to eat animals. And it even mentions vegetarians. Genesis 9:1-3, Luke 24:42-43, Romans 14:2-3, 1 Tim 4:1-4.

Reactions: 2 people

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Wouldn't you like to see PETA trying to convince some large carnivores (e.g., tigers, lions, etc.) that it's cruel to eat animals?

Of course, the billboard is meant to upset and confuse children. If they want to provoke people, they've done it. But I won't be thinking about them when I enjoy my turkey dinner next Thursday.

Reactions: 5 people

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
I have been vegetarian for 3 years due to health reasons and it has made a huge difference for me. I do not push my way of eating on friends or family and certainly would not to push my grandchildren into my way of eating.

It is up to the parents to decide on how their children eat, not PETA. I feel there should not be a billboard posted, as MerryCarey mentioned, to upset and confuse children. That sign is a bit upsetting in their wording.

I do agree with what some of PETA is saying, as far as a few meat packing companies (not all of them) handle food, but leave the kids out of it!

frostyman

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Oct 22, 2009
KY
I do feel sorry for the poor animals, I love animals but I have tried going vegetarian and I just can't do it. I guess I'm just cut out to be a carnivore.

Reactions: 3 people

gabulldawg

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 29, 2010
Hill AFB,Ogden Utah
I feel sorry for the turkeys if I think about it long and hard,but I still eat it. I also feel sorry for chickens that are injected with steriods so that they can grow to maturity in 2 months...but I still love chicken..maybe I am a hypocrite...but I can't stand anyone telling me how to eat,let Peta do what they want...remember PETA was the ones a few years ago that was caught up in a scandel of thier own!

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
I've spent quite a bit of time at one of the largest Turkey farms in the country here in Utah. And I'll tell you straight up: those birds aren't abused; they aren't warm, fuzzy and intelligent; and they never know what's coming. They are handled very humanely, in my view, and not because the people handling them love them -- they don't, turkeys are sometimes obnoxious and mean -- but they treat them humanely because THEY COST MONEY to maintain and process.

I have never seen any suffering there. There isn't time for it. And an unhappy bird makes for a lousy meal, that's their belief on the farm.

Reactions: 4 people

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
I've spent quite a bit of time at one of the largest Turkey farms in the country here in Utah. And I'll tell you straight up: those birds aren't abused; they aren't warm, fuzzy and intelligent; and they never know what's coming. They are handled very humanely, in my view, and not because the people handling them love them -- they don't, turkeys are sometimes obnoxious and mean -- but they treat them humanely because THEY COST MONEY to maintain and process.

I have never seen any suffering there. There isn't time for it. And an unhappy bird makes for a lousy meal, that's their belief on the farm.
These are the type of farms I highly respect! If you choose to eat meat this is the way to go.

The meat companies I look down on are those who treat the animals poorly before slaughter and pump them up full of antibiotics and steroids. The meat is unhealthy too when treated that way.

Here comes my part as being a hypocrite. I don't eat meat but I buy it for my family. I don't always investigate what I am buying so not sure where it's coming from. If I find the good stuff it's not always affordable. =(

Speaking of turkeys personalities, I have been around one who was sweet and cuddly! It was at a petting zoo and he would follow people around and nuzzle up against them wanting a hug. It was funny to watch! :wink: Like I said, this was one turkey, I have not been around other ones. =)

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Turkeys can be tamed, like any pet. But like any animal they have their own quirks, I've learned.

As far as buying meat goes, I agree. We always try to buy our meat in quantities from local folks we know. To be honest, it is more of a quality issue than an animal treatment issue.

I'm totally against animal abuse but like most things I think this issue gets exaggerated by a few bad eggs out there making entire industries look bad.

And other than the Turkey...most of the rest of traditional Thanksgiving foods are vegan friendly, I would think....

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Yes there are plenty of vegan friendly dishes. Thanksgiving is my favorite time of year! I can enjoy it all minus the turkey! The side dishes are delish! :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person

frostyman

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Oct 22, 2009
KY
Yes, the meal is actually a carb fest! Most of the stuff is non meat items. I really enjoy turkey but it's because I have all of the other stuff to go with it. :cool:

gabulldawg

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 29, 2010
Hill AFB,Ogden Utah
Yes, the meal is actually a carb fest! Most of the stuff is non meat items. I really enjoy turkey but it's because I have all of the other stuff to go with it. :cool:

I know!! I can already taste the corn bread stuffing and cranberry sauce! There is no way I will get out of this thanksgiving holiday without gaining wieght!!!:cold:

frostyman

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Oct 22, 2009
KY
maybe I should be doing an Atkins style diet until then but if I do, the carb shock might send me into a carb coma!

Courtney

Makin' A Comeback!
MMC Lifer
Jul 21, 2008
Home
I love animals, but PETA is full of hypocrites. There are plenty of links online of their own wrongdoings involving animal abuse and killings. So, I tend not to take everything they supposedly stand for, too seriously.

Kids need to be off limits, and spewing their propaganda at them is tactless and ignorant.

:munch:

Sunshine73

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 26, 2005
Illinois
I guess I'm a hypocrite. I love animals - cute cuddly kittens, puppies, etc. But, I'm also a hard core carnivore. I would chase a cow down in a field if I thought I could get a good steak out of it. *shrug*

If someone wants to be vegan, more power to them. If someone wants to eat all the animals - that's okay too (and some countries/people do eat those cute puppies and kittens). Personally, I'm a cutetarian - I don't eat anything that I think is cute and cuddly. If I see it in nature and think "awwwww - how sweet" I'm not eating it This includes: deer, rabbit, lamb and veal (baby cows are sweet) to name a few. Yes, I realize this is VERY arbitrary on my part but it works for me. :)

However, I definitely think PETA has gone over the edge once again - this time targeting children with their stupid ads. Not cool.

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Is this directed at me?
I don't think anything was directed at you. I think this is referring to the earlier post by gabulldawg and myself for not liking some of the ways some meat industries handle meat though we continue to buy it. If you see in our post we mention the we are hypocrites for complaining about certain meat companies but don't investigate what we purchase. I read into it that she feels like a hypocrite for loving animals but continues to eat meat.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image