Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
A classic Christmas song is one that marks a generation, gets repeated endlessly for decades to come, and never grows out of favor. Jingle Bells, written in the 1850s, is such a song. So is White Christmas.
There will never be another classic Christmas song. Ever.
It has become a modern Christmas tradition to hear All I Want for Christmas Is You to be declared the most popular Christmas song of the year.
Mariah Carey’s hit pop single has raked in millions for the record company, has spun off books, movies and Christmas TV specials, and it gives Carey a little jingle in her pocket every holiday season to the tune of $2.6 million dollars a year.
But it is not and never will be a Christmas classic.
It falls well short of the song of all Christmas songs – White Christmas, written by Irving Berlin. White Christmas is the best-selling song of all time and easily the most recognizable of all Christmas songs.
Granted, White Christmas has a 50-year head start over All I Want for Christmas...

Continue reading...

DixieBelle

Rudolph is my Jam!
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Oct 14, 2011
USA
Wonderful article! Every Christmas, I feel like I am the only person in the whole world that dislikes that Mariah Carey song. As a matter of fact, I despise it!

Ben

Christmas Enthusiast
MMC Member
Santa's Elf
Jun 22, 2016
Indiana, USA
Great article! I love the classics and can't stand the Ariana Grande's and Justin Bieber's of the world's Christmas albums.
There have been some newer original songs come out that certainly have a pop-music feel, but at least they're original. "Here this Christmas" by Gwen Stefani is actually really catchy, "That's Christmas to Me" by Pentatonix is another great original alongside "Christmas Every Day" by David Archuleta. Are those going to be considered classics, though? Probably not, but at least they don't seem to get much hate like Mariah Carey's does.

Jeff Westover

Chief Elf Officer
MMC Founder
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Oct 7, 2004
Cache Valley, Utah
jeffwestover.com
Great article! I love the classics and can't stand the Ariana Grande's and Justin Bieber's of the world's Christmas albums.
There have been some newer original songs come out that certainly have a pop-music feel, but at least they're original. "Here this Christmas" by Gwen Stefani is actually really catchy, "That's Christmas to Me" by Pentatonix is another great original alongside "Christmas Every Day" by David Archuleta. Are those going to be considered classics, though? Probably not, but at least they don't seem to get much hate like Mariah Carey's does.
"That's Christmas to Me" has in recent years come under fire. Not by traditional Christmas enthusiasts - but by mainstream music publications. This, I think, is the byproduct of some groups like Pentatonix who come out with something Christmas nearly every year.

MarthaK

Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Sep 5, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
A very on-point article. My 93 year old Mom told me several times during my life that she was in junior high when she first heard the song White Christmas on the radio. She also recalled on that day her teacher told the class that the song is a classic that will be played for decades. When you know the first time you hear it that it's a classic, it is indeed a classic.

Christmasstar

one Crazy Canadian !
MMC Lifer
Nov 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada eh!
I love Christmas music. What I do not understand is why with so many amazing songs available local radio stations seem to only have a handful that they play over and over again.
Occasionally they throw in a classic like White Christmas.
This is why I love our kingle radio

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image