Status
Not open for further replies.

HomemakinGirl

Christmas Cookie Baking Crew
MMC Lifer
Jul 17, 2011
Long Island, New York
Good morning ~
It’s going to be cloudy today with highs near 50 degrees. My daughter and I skipped the gym this morning, we were both too tired. I plan on going for a long walk later to make up for it. My oldest has off today and she’s going to spend some time with me which will be nice. Otherwise it’s just a typical day of errands and chores. I hope everyone is well and has a wonderful day!
xx

Bradmac

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2008
Bellville, GA
Good Morning .. Home today as my youngest is sick. Figured while he sleeps I will make a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread and a batch of homemade meatballs for dinner. Maybe I can sneak in a Christmas movie too. Hope everyone has a great day!
I hope he feels better soon!

Bradmac

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2008
Bellville, GA
Good Thursday morning, Christmas friends!

The golf cart saga continues. I keep ordering and installing parts, and I keep finding more parts that have to be replaced. Nancy's going to KILL me.

I went to a Rotary Club meeting yesterday at lunch, to hear Elizabeth's school chorus sing for their entertainment. What a wonderful job they did! People I'd never met before were telling me how beautiful Elizabeth's solo was. Proud!

I hope y'all have a great day! :D

made582

MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Apr 15, 2009
Greenfield, Indiana
Good Thursday morning, Christmas friends!

The golf cart saga continues. I keep ordering and installing parts, and I keep finding more parts that have to be replaced. Nancy's going to KILL me.

I went to a Rotary Club meeting yesterday at lunch, to hear Elizabeth's school chorus sing for their entertainment. What a wonderful job they did! People I'd never met before were telling me how beautiful Elizabeth's solo was. Proud!

I hope y'all have a great day! :D

Lol! Tell her to just think of the fact that it’ll be good to go for years now.

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Hello everyone, I haven't been on in a bit...at least since January or so. I'm happy to report that my cancer is mostly into remission...I'm still on chemo medication (a pill form) and may be on it for the long haul to manage it, but other than that 2019 is looking a lot better. I hope this message finds each one of you well and that your year has gone well thus far. We're quarter of the way done for the year...has gone by pretty quickly I think.

Thank you for the update - continued prayers for you! Stay strong. You got this!

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Thank you!
They closed the office at 2 p.m. today as a thank you for everyone’s hard work, BUT ... our department was still there past 6 taking care of work that had to be done today. So the hardest-working people didn’t get the benefit of the thank-you!

To be fair, I’m told they’re aware that people are being overworked, and they’re looking for a solution. And, thank goodness, my supervisor is giving me Thursday and Friday off next week to give me a breather. As the 15th is an office holiday (Patriot’s Day/Marathon Day), I will get a 5-day weekend if I can survive the first half of next week!

Enjoy the time off! So glad they value the hard work!

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Friends, Doc and I are taking the girls to Disney in November.

I just wanted to share that we just purchased our tickets to the Very Merry Christmas Party at Magic Kingdom.

I probably won't sleep a wink tonight.

That's so exciting, Coach! We're going in September - I've never been to Disney before, so I may be just as excited as the kids. I'll be honest, my kind of vacation is lying on a beach and relaxing, but I do love Disney, so I'm sure I love it there. It will be decorated for Halloween when we go and we're purchased tickets for Mickey's "Not so Scary Halloween" Party as well. I would love to go at Christmas some day as well. I know you'll love it. Do the girls know or is it a surprise?

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa

Yesterday he had 5 falls; three of which occurred in the first 2 1/2 hrs. after waking so I switched gears and worked from home. I can't work from home today so I hope he's more steady on his feet.

The boys want me to consider a home for round the clock care, but sometimes he has good days with no falls and it would break his heart and mine if we had to do that unless there was a place that would accept me and the cat.
#2 Son is going to come on Sunday and see if he can get him in his car and bring him to #1 sons while I'm away then I'll go fetch him on Tuesday and we'll come home on Wednesday.

He is uncomfortable and embarrassed about his need for the commode and doesn't want his boys to see him in this state. Thankfully #1 son is an advance paramedic so it's the safest place for him. His wife is recovering from gall bladder surgery she had three weeks ago so she can't help much in the event of a fall, but will be home.

I reminded him that he needs to do his exercises so he can regain his mobility one step at a time and take back his way of life.

Lift us up in your thoughts; I believe in positive energy.

God Bless you all, Auntie. Continued prayers - I've been thinking of you. (((Hugs)))

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Merry Pines Day MMC!
It’s going to be a nice day with a high of 57 degrees. Not too much going on here today, just a typical day of errands and chores. The Islanders made it to the playoffs, first round starts tonight. My husband and I have tickets for Friday’s game, I’m excited. I hope everyone is well and has a nice day!
xx

That was a great game last night! I think it's going to be a physical series. Enjoy the game on Friday! DH and I have tickets to Game 4 on Tuesday!

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Good Morning .. Home today as my youngest is sick. Figured while he sleeps I will make a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread and a batch of homemade meatballs for dinner. Maybe I can sneak in a Christmas movie too. Hope everyone has a great day!

Hope he feels better - the food sounds yummy!

sugar142286

North Pole's RN
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Oct 2, 2010
Central Pa
Good morning all! Wow - I've missed being here for a few - I didn't realize how long it had been. I'm up to date on the posts. Thinking of you all, especially the ones who need healing prayers right now.

Not much too report - life is still busy, like usual. Kids have us running and work is crazy. Sidney was spayed the other day and was in a great deal of pain for the first day and a half, but is coming a long nicely now.

I am off today and head back tomorrow, for four days. As HMG said, NHL playoffs started yesterday. Her hometown team, is playing my team. It's going to be a good series I think. May the best team win!

Hope you're all having a great day so far!

SnowflakeMom

Rudolph's Groomer
MMC Lifer
Apr 22, 2014
Connecticut
80 degrees here today. Snowflake has 7 inches of snow with another 12 on the way. What a difference 550 miles can make.
I saw this on the news...crazy!!
Enjoy the warm weather and hope alli is well, Made!!

Yuletide Junkie

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Jan 17, 2008
Minnesota
Good morning all! Wow - I've missed being here for a few - I didn't realize how long it had been. I'm up to date on the posts. Thinking of you all, especially the ones who need healing prayers right now.

Not much too report - life is still busy, like usual. Kids have us running and work is crazy. Sidney was spayed the other day and was in a great deal of pain for the first day and a half, but is coming a long nicely now.

I am off today and head back tomorrow, for four days. As HMG said, NHL playoffs started yesterday. Her hometown team, is playing my team. It's going to be a good series I think. May the best team win!

Hope you're all having a great day so far!
Welcome back!...."Let's play hockey!"

Meceka

MMC Associate Editor
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 27, 2008
Mid-Michigan

Praying your youngest is better!

ballcoach

Christmasologist
MMC Lifer
Jan 1, 2017
That's so exciting, Coach! We're going in September - I've never been to Disney before, so I may be just as excited as the kids. I'll be honest, my kind of vacation is lying on a beach and relaxing, but I do love Disney, so I'm sure I love it there. It will be decorated for Halloween when we go and we're purchased tickets for Mickey's "Not so Scary Halloween" Party as well. I would love to go at Christmas some day as well. I know you'll love it. Do the girls know or is it a surprise?

100% surprise. We are going to wake up, not tell them anything different, and drive to the airport. When we get to the airport, we are goign to give them their little mouse ears and tell them where we are going.

Take good notes! You can share some strategies with me. I've got a few I will send your way, too!

Last edited:

HomemakinGirl

Christmas Cookie Baking Crew
MMC Lifer
Jul 17, 2011
Long Island, New York
That was a great game last night! I think it's going to be a physical series. Enjoy the game on Friday! DH and I have tickets to Game 4 on Tuesday!

Thank you so much Sugar, I’m excited to go tomorrow night. I hope you guys have a blast on Tuesday!
I’m glad to hear that Sidney is doing better, I hope your sweet girl is back to feeling 100% very soon.
xx

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Happy Hump day everyone. I took the dog for a nice long walk this morning. While I was out with him yesterday we met another dog-walker and he mentioned a new pond area about a ten minute drive from where I live. Finley and I walked around the perimeter and it took about 50 minutes. Good exercise for the both of us. It's a little soft and muddy around some parts, but it will be a great area in the summer so he can play in the water.

Taxes are done and I'm getting a little bit of a refund so that's good. We've made some plans for travelling this summer so now we have to work out when the BIL can take the FIL.

Speaking of, the FIL had a physio appointment. Turns out he has arthritis in both knees and his hip, so he's been told to use a walker at all times. Easier said than done. Even though the doctor and PT has told him that if he doesn't it will just make the arthritis worse, we still catch him not using it. And the doc has said that if he falls, which at 84 is a great possibility, and breaks a hip then it's game over. He'll be in hospital for months of recovery and then a home, because he won't be able to walk without assistance again. Sounds harsh, I know, but sometimes you have to be blunt to get the message across.

It's been nice reading about everyone's comings and goings. I'll try to keep in touch as much as possible. Happy Pines day all.

Thank goodness you posted about your taxes; I nearly forgot I have an appointment this afternoon to have mine done.

I totally get how your FIL doesn't take to the walker each time; there's something "in them" that makes them think they are stronger one day than they were the day previous. My husband uses a rolator (wheeled walker with brakes), but has a cane for short distances. Nothing to do with arthritis, but the same chance of falling without using his aids could result in serious injury. He is still on the frail side so if he breaks a hip; they estimate 3 months recovery depending on the severity of it and they wouldn't likely let him return home. Even now they don't think he is safe here, but trying to make it work out.

A few days back, he tried to get to the washroom using the walls for balance; took him ten minutes and then I heard him go down and call for help. I was already up before he called for help. He has a commode in the bedroom, but was determined to get to the "real toilet". He was lucky that fall only resulted in a small skin tear on the elbow and another bruise on his back.

Wednesday, he fell around 10:00 and he was alone. I came home to check on him because he didn't answer the phone. He was on the floor, there was blood on the kitchen floor, but he was over on the other end halfway in the dining room and half on the living room carpet; the rolator was nearby. He banged his pretty good, but I managed to doctor him up. He seemed fine and he was hungry so he had half a thick tuna sandwich and some green grapes.

The home care nurse arrived about 10 minutes after I left and 10 minutes later she was on the phone to 911 to have him assessed. He was acting strange and not remembering things correctly. When I got in the EMS was already there and the cat was hiding under the bed.

He kept asking for his nighttime meds and thought it was 2008. I followed the ambulance up in my car and arrived at 12:45. He is still there. He was admitted at 6:45 and at 8:00 I had returned home to get some rest and was called back up to the hospital at 9:30. He gave the doctors and nurses an awful scare. They thought he was dying so I had to go back up and stay with him through the night. They moved him to CCU and set up a cot for me to keep him company.
By then he kept switching the date from 1928 to 2028 and then back to 2008 a few times.

They gave him over 15 litres of oxygen to get him stabilized and are running a bunch of tests.

At 11:30 a.m. they sent him for x-rays and then back to the inpatient surgery ward in a semi-private quad (big space separated with two beds on both sides. Usually one nurse for two quads, but sometimes 2 quads and 2 semi-privates (that's a tough task for those nurses).
Good sign that he is in that section and doesn't need the round the clock care.
He looked much better when I was heading home.

Boy did I ever sleep lastnight. O'Malley the cat didn't even wake me up at 4:00; he let me sleep until 5:00.

I hope he slept well too; I'll be heading up there for 8:00. I bought him a TV and telephone card, but if the unit isn't close to him, he can't answer the phone. 1 son called, but he didn't answer.

I was arranging for a swallow test by speech for Thursday so they were able to do it in the hospital.

I think he'll be okay once they can figure out why the liquid he consumes is going down into his lungs instead of his stomach. There seems to be three medical things going on at the same time and none of it would have been discovered if he didn't bump his head.

The cat didn't come out of hiding until I returned that night before I went back up. He had become so nervous and blocked up that he missed the litter box and urinated all over the spill mat and there were some clumps of poop around the litter box and some inside too. I felt so bad for him. I bought him a new spill mat and set it up yesterday.

I had a short nap yesterday when they took my husband for x-rays and switching accommodations and O`Malley snuggled right down on the spare mattress with me. Last night I was in my own bed and whenever I woke up I thought it was nearly time to get him only to discover I still had plenty of time for more sleep.

Hopefully, your FIL will surrender to the idea that the walker is his "ticket out"; maybe he should give it a name so it's more friendly than foe-like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image