Official MMC Countmeister
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
** OFFICIAL THREAD - CHRISTMAS COUNTDOWN 2009 **

After meeting great success at its initial launch at Christmas.Com during 2004 (1217 posts) then over 2,700 posts for 2005, our official countdown thread was imported to The Christmas Place in 2006 where it garnered 3,756 posts!
In late July of 2007, the thead made its appearance in this forum. Despite a late start, it still attracted 1,956 entries.
Then, for 2008, we ballooned to a whopping 5,103 posts and over 200,000 views!
Well, here we are ready to go again, at the start of 2009.

A word of explanation. We are running a dual countdown in this thread - one for Christmas Day and one for the start of the Christmas Season (November 13). Most of us have agreed that we look forward to the entire Christmas Season rather than just to Christmas Day.
Why November 13? No reason, really. It just seems about the right time to regard the season as arriving. It is exactly 6 weeks before Christmas Day and is about the time the country at large is beginning to get into the holiday spirit. Most of the stores have decorated. And starting the season then gives us exactly 50 days (Nov 13 through Jan 1) to enjoy being "within" the season.

We also like to note "milestones" along the way such as the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 marks.
At 90% complete, we begin the "home stretch" as we coast into the final days before the season begins.

Well, climb aboard, enjoy reading the posts and following the count, which begins today at 316 to the Season and 358 to Christmas Day.

Here is a convenient list of our Season countdown milestone markers.
(In the past, I have just requested readers to add 42 days for the equivalent Christmas Day milestone. For this year, I am adding a Christmas Day milestone chart to supplement the Season chart. This should make it more convenient to tell how far along to Christmas Day we are.)

CHRISTMAS SEASON MILESTONE MARKER CHART
January 17 = Day 300
February 12 = 1/4 mark
March 15 = 1/3 mark
April 27 = Day 200
May 15 = 1/2 mark
July 14 = 2/3 mark
August 05 = Day 100
August 14 = 3/4 mark
October 07 = 90% (The Home Stretch begins)
November 13 = THE SEASON ARRIVES!

CHRISTMAS DAY MILESTONE MARKER CHART
February 28 = Day 300
March 26 = 1/4 mark
April 26 = 1/3 mark
June 8 = Day 200
June 26 = 1/2 mark
August 25 = 2/3 mark
Sept 16 = Day 100
Sept 25 = 3/4 mark
Nov 18 = 90% mark
December 25 = MERRY CHRISTMAS!

- CROWN

Annette

Christmas Princess
MMC Lifer
Oct 2, 2007
Washington
YAY! Looking forward to counting down again. =)

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Look, the first milestone isn't far off.

Hey, I can see my house from here! Oh, that's because I'm at home. HaHa.

:hello: Gonna be a bit of a wait you can expect the odd bit of humour here and there.

Hello 2009!
You're lookin' rather jolly so far!

Reactions: 1 person

Iron Eagle

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Dec 4, 2006
Chicago
It's 2mins. to midnight here in Chicago. Happy New Year to everyone !!!

Iron Eagle

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Dec 4, 2006
Chicago
Now we can look forward to Christmas '09, but let's not forget that this Christmas isn't over yet. Until the 3 wise men get here, it ain't over yet. I'll take every day I can get.

HolidayHoney

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 27, 2008
It's 2009!!!! Happy New Year!

JOHNOR

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Jul 24, 2007
England
Now we can look forward to Christmas '09, but let's not forget that this Christmas isn't over yet. Until the 3 wise men get here, it ain't over yet. I'll take every day I can get.

you are so right!

i am so excited for this countdown, christmas '09 is going to be the best, i can feel it!

man, i'm hungover...

Crown 84

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I can feel it too, Johnor!

New records to be broken! More fellowship! More coffee to be consumed (by Binger)!
......More SLEEP!!

Hey! Look! Barely over 2 weeks to our first milestone, the 300-day Season window!
(See how far along we already are?)

Cold here with a start in the 20's. We are now at 33. But it's sunny and a few birds have visited our bird feeder already this morning.

Have a Thrilling Thursday, old Friends - the FIRST Thursday of a new year!

N

Nitro

The first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning was the 2009 Countdown must be up! And here it is...brought a smile to my face seeing it with Crown posting his annual start to the year.

Well it's a new year, Jan 1...a long way to go till the season and to Christmas but it's going to be a fun ride. My resolution is to follow this count everyday, post, and enjoy the ride.

One small thing (at this point in the game we have to take what we can get) is that no longer do we have to say "we have to wait till next year for Christmas" like we've been the last 5 or 6 days since it ended...now it's all about "THIS year's Christmas." Yeah I know it's still a lot of days away but one little step at a time and that's exactly how we get back to our favorite time of the year. Let the year round build up to Christmas begin...as the rest of the world has forgotten it, moved on, and even glad it's over (I heard that from my boss yesterday at work him saying he's glad it's over and I only smirked to myself saying it's over to the rest but not to US who keep it alive all year quietly in our group).

So anyway sorry for rambling but I hope everyone has a great start to their new year and I have a feeling this thread will set all kinds of great records this year.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

It seems so odd to come to the countdown thread, I don't have to click on "last page" ;-) It won't be long & we'll have several pages though, I'm sure! What a nice way to wake up after a late night, to see the fresh new countdown thread! Thank you - kudo's to our fearless leader, Crown!!! I hope you all had a wonderful, fun filled New Years Eve! We went inside (we were out in my sister & bil's building playing Wii) to watch the ball drop! There is just something thrilling about the countdown - within a minute it's a whole new year - fresh palette! Here's to a happy, healthy 2009!

I've got bbq ribs going in the crock pot, getting ready to make the sausage & kraut & we've got friends coming over for our annual NYD "hang out" party ~ I'm ready to hang out, watch some football & play a little Wii! :-D

You all enjoy your New Years Day!!!!

Crown 84

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
The first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning was the 2009 Countdown must be up! And here it is...brought a smile to my face seeing it with Crown posting his annual start to the year.

Well it's a new year, Jan 1...a long way to go till the season and to Christmas but it's going to be a fun ride. My resolution is to follow this count everyday, post, and enjoy the ride.

One small thing (at this point in the game we have to take what we can get) is that no longer do we have to say "we have to wait till next year for Christmas" like we've been the last 5 or 6 days since it ended...now it's all about "THIS year's Christmas." Yeah I know it's still a lot of days away but one little step at a time and that's exactly how we get back to our favorite time of the year. Let the year round build up to Christmas begin...as the rest of the world has forgotten it, moved on, and even glad it's over (I heard that from my boss yesterday at work him saying he's glad it's over and I only smirked to myself saying it's over to the rest but not to US who keep it alive all year quietly in our group).

So anyway sorry for rambling but I hope everyone has a great start to their new year and I have a feeling this thread will set all kinds of great records this year.
I'm glad you did - and I like the way you think, Nitro!
You got the spirit, my friend!

Crown 84

MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Hey! Over 15 posts and it's not even noon here yet.
We are off to a great start!

EdNog

Elf Choir Book Distributor
MMC Lifer
Jan 5, 2008
Northamptonshire Uk
Feeling a little blue...just poured my very last dregs of eggnog into my glass...no more until I carve the Halloween Pumpkins!

Christmasstar

one Crazy Canadian !
MMC Lifer
Nov 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada eh!
I love the countdown!

We need to keep Christmas alive all year long. Espically the giving part as people are in need all the time!

Have a great year all!
:snowball:

AuntieMistletoeDear

MMC Hostess of Christmas Online
MMC Lifer
Christmas.com Alum
Christmas Crew
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
"Good Kind Wenceslas last looked out ..."

That song has been playing in my head all night or should I say morning since it was after midnight when I finally closed my eyes.

For me, it's only eleven months to get ready for Christmas. I don't want to fall behind on things like this last year. I'm on the search for the perfect artificial tree 0 maybe a half tree, but the branches are the most important. I want one that looks like the real trees we used to fetch. You know the one's with a bit of character that displayed your decorations beautifully instead of having to drape everything over the tips. The real trees had much more space between the branches.

Better get busy.

rodmonster

Santa's Personal Trainer
MMC Lifer
Christmas Crew
Jul 27, 2008
Va
And

And so it has begun!
=)

Status
Not open for further replies.