Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Your employer is very flexible with your schedule, I like that. We have a lot of students working at the store and it's only once they leave for another employer that they realize how good they had it in our company with regards to scheduling. They need time off to prepare for exams or they can only work 2 small shifts per week, we do it. We also adapt our schedules for "older" employees as well (ex: 2 employees at the age of retirement only work 4h per week, or one takes two months off in the Wintertime so she doesn't have to drive in the snow). I don't know a lot of retail companies who do that for their employees. One of the reasons I'm still there after 18 years.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a candy day. You use that time to make or buy candy? Either way, sounds good to me.

Have a great day and hugs to Gracie :)

That is very nice that your store is so flexible & I think you're right. Most retail aren't that generous. And yes, I am very lucky here too! :)

My sisters/nieces/SIL - whoever can make it get together every year at Moms for candy day. We each make big batches of 1 or 2 types of candy & then we divide it all up. Moms house smells AMAZING that day!!! The last couple years we have all walked out with 25 + lb bags of chocolates! LOL!! I normally bring some to work, give some to friends, put some out for parties & I make candy trays for 5 of our neighbors. I always make "Reese" cups & Choc maple clusters. :)

I have shared this before but this is candy day 2 years ago (before everyone had arrived) when for some reason the room burst out in song (and not necessarily good singing...hee hee)

Gracie thanks you for the hugs! (((Hugs))) back to you & Loki!

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Actually, I did all the hauling and many of the other volunteers will do the actual decorating. They just needed someone who's main job is to... "pick things up and put them down." :cool:
Enjoy this Terrific Tuesday...

View attachment 33631
Awe well that's nice of you to be the pick up & put down guy!! :)

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Happy Tuesday, everyone, in spite of the Election Day jitters! Like many others, I voted early to avoid the long lines today.

I fear that worse things will be coming after the election, regardless of who wins. The tension---even violence---in the air is almost palpable. But MMC, thank goodness, is a place where we can go to see that kindness, generosity, and the spirit of friendship are still strong. We can keep that going, no matter what happens, and keep looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas! If the rest of the world could do that, maybe the post-election won't be as bad as I think it could be.

Amen!

Just over two weeks until Thanksgiving ... I felt this morning like I was on a ride that's fun, but going far too fast! Gotta find ways to savor this sweet time between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Once Thanksgiving has passed, it will be a fast swoop down a snowy hill to Christmas!
I think I'm on the same fun & fast ride as you!! So hard to believe in just over 2 weeks our house will be full of thankful people! :) And we know the ride between Thanksgiving & Christmas is even faster!! Yikes!
Have a great day Merry!

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Happy Tuesday...I am headed out soon to take my daughter to get her braces off and then we are going to vote. I hope the line is not too long. Just working today and my daughter has basketball practice. It is going to be a beautiful day in the mid 60's. Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Oh I bet your daughter is excited!!
I hope your wait to vote isn't too long either!
Have a great day!

Martine

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
Christmas Talk Alum
Oct 13, 2010
Canada
That is very nice that your store is so flexible & I think you're right. Most retail aren't that generous. And yes, I am very lucky here too! :)

My sisters/nieces/SIL - whoever can make it get together every year at Moms for candy day. We each make big batches of 1 or 2 types of candy & then we divide it all up. Moms house smells AMAZING that day!!! The last couple years we have all walked out with 25 + lb bags of chocolates! LOL!! I normally bring some to work, give some to friends, put some out for parties & I make candy trays for 5 of our neighbors. I always make "Reese" cups & Choc maple clusters. :)

I have shared this before but this is candy day 2 years ago (before everyone had arrived) when for some reason the room burst out in song (and not necessarily good singing...hee hee)

Gracie thanks you for the hugs! (((Hugs))) back to you & Loki!
Love that video and love spontaneous singing! I can only imagine how a-m-a-z-i-n-g the house must smell on candy day. If you have a chance, would you mind sharing your choc maple clusters recipe? That sounds divine. I'm always looking for new delicious treats to add to the giftbox I make for my family each year.

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Yes it was me!!!
Those look fantastic!!! Let me know what they are like!
They give off such a beautiful pink orange glow - like a sunset.
How exciting!
It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow!! I never thought of the sunset like glow - now I'm even more excited! :D
I'll keep you posted!!

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Love that video and love spontaneous singing! I can only imagine how a-m-a-z-i-n-g the house must smell on candy day. If you have a chance, would you mind sharing your choc maple clusters recipe? That sounds divine. I'm always looking for new delicious treats to add to the giftbox I make for my family each year.

You got it! :) I would recommend freezing the maple ingredients even before you shape them into balls. They can be quite sticky.

Delectable Maple Nut Chocolates Recipe – Taste of Home Christmas 2010

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Delectable-Maple-Nut-Chocolates

1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup butter, cubed

7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

2 cups chopped walnuts

2 teaspoons maple flavoring

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups (24 ounces) HERSHEY’®S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped

2 teaspoons shortening

In a small saucepan, combine milk and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted. Place the confectioners' sugar in a large bowl; add milk mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in the walnuts, maple flavoring and vanilla. Roll into 3/4-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.

In a microwave, melt the chips, bittersweet chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 13 dozen.

Editor’s Note: Shape and freeze the balls of maple candy for up to 2 months if desired. Thaw candy before dipping into melted chocolate mixture.

Nutrition Facts: 1 candy equals 67 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
So this day is turning out to be all about procrastination. I ought to be doing more cleaning but I just want to look up anything Christmas-related online. I'm in that kind of mood today.
Ohhh, I have those days too!!! You're just feeling festive!!! -sing-

Yuletide Junkie

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Jan 17, 2008
Minnesota
Actually, I did all the hauling and many of the other volunteers will do the actual decorating. They just needed someone who's main job is to... "pick things up and put them down." :cool:
Enjoy this Terrific Tuesday...

View attachment 33631
Proof positive, it takes a village to deck them halls.

MerryBells

wants turkey!
MMC Lifer
Sep 3, 2006
Pasadena, MD
I want so bad to get in the Christmas spirit, and it's just not happening for me. The leg I broke and tore the muscles on last Christmas is still giving me a fit. It took me all of October to get a few Halloween things up, and it's taking me even longer to get them back down. It looks like the Thanksgiving stuff is staying in the boxes this year, because everything is just taking so long for me to do. I'm tired, and ouchy, and full of grumps. Good golly, if I could sleep till next Christmas, I'd probably do it. Hopefully, when the card exchange list comes out and gives me something to do that I can sit down for, I'll be in a more Christmas-y mood. I am just disgusted with this whole deal.

'Tis the season

Mrs. Claus' Executive Assistant
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Sep 6, 2010
Northern Ireland
Evening everyone. It's been a wet a cold day here so far, feeling more wintery so I'm not complaining. My wife and I were at the photographers picking pictures of Jonah following a photo session we had done a few weeks back. Some beautiful shots for our walls but my bank account is a little lighter, wow they can charge.

CGYager

Santa's Helper in South Dakota
MMC Emeritus Member
Nov 3, 2014
Sioux Falls, SD
I want so bad to get in the Christmas spirit, and it's just not happening for me. The leg I broke and tore the muscles on last Christmas is still giving me a fit. It took me all of October to get a few Halloween things up, and it's taking me even longer to get them back down. It looks like the Thanksgiving stuff is staying in the boxes this year, because everything is just taking so long for me to do. I'm tired, and ouchy, and full of grumps. Good golly, if I could sleep till next Christmas, I'd probably do it. Hopefully, when the card exchange list comes out and gives me something to do that I can sit down for, I'll be in a more Christmas-y mood. I am just disgusted with this whole deal.
Greetings MerryBells. I can relate, in a way, to what you are going through. In my case it was not so much an injury as all those tours in the military and all the various places I got sent. To make that worse, many times those changes happened around the holiday season. So I did not know the base, the job, the people and of course was a long way from family. The spirit was tough to come by. On those days though I always remembered the words my Dad often spoke to me and asked the question... " is there anyone worse off than you?". I then would think of others who might never know a spirit filled Christmas and that mine, even if it was not what I wanted at the moment would not stay that way in the future. I took comfort in that and allowed the spirit of others to fill the gap where mine needed help so desperately.
I'm sure your MMC friends can help fill the gap for you as well... "Keep the Faith"

Believe.jpg

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio

(((HUGS))) MerryBells! I hope things start getting better for you VERY soon & you find that Christmas spirit!!! Thinking of you! Sending prayers!!

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Evening everyone. It's been a wet a cold day here so far, feeling more wintery so I'm not complaining. My wife and I were at the photographers picking pictures of Jonah following a photo session we had done a few weeks back. Some beautiful shots for our walls but my bank account is a little lighter, wow they can charge.
It is amazing how expensive it is!! We are so lucky to have so many people around here with very nice camera's who take beautiful pictures as a hobby, for next to nothing! BUT those are beautiful memories for you to treasure forever!!! :) Glad they turned out well!

Ryan

Santa's Mentor
MMC Donor
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 24, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm sorry to hear this and hope you feel better soon!

MerryCarey

A Voice from the North
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Louann Jeffries Award
Santa's Elf
Kringle Radio DJ
Nov 6, 2008
New England, USA
Amen!

I think I'm on the same fun & fast ride as you!! So hard to believe in just over 2 weeks our house will be full of thankful people! :) And we know the ride between Thanksgiving & Christmas is even faster!! Yikes!
Have a great day Merry!
I hope you're having a happy Tuesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors