Thanksgiving 2020 Thread

iamkml

Tinsel Straightener
MMC Member
Nov 13, 2014
Watched the Cheers Thanksgiving episode last night. Another one I like is the old Bob Newhart Show classic episode where his wife goes home to Seattle and he and Mr Carlin, Jerry, and Howard get soused watching football.
Anyway...got a turkey thawing for me to cook later, but I'm going to my sister's on Thanksgiving. I spent years as the designated meal provider, now I let someone else do all the work.
;)
Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Rich

Christmas Royalty
MMC Donor
MMC Premiere
Sep 23, 2010
Warner Robins, GA
Happy Thanksgiving Eve!
We had a very nice day today. I finally got the Christmas decorations up outside.
Bring on the turkey!!! :)

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
WELL...its almost here! You can get close to the elusive Thanksgiving Day by having dinners through the year, but its never quite the same as tomorrow will be. Its been a busy year for me and this coming year looks to be much slower thankfully.
Well said CW! It's not quite the same. It's like watching a Christmas show in May.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
I hope everybody's Thanksgiving is wonderful, even if it might be smaller than normal or different this year. Enjoy it and hopefully in 2021 this horrible year will all be a distant memory.
If things return to some sense of normalcy by this time next year I think every single person will only appreciate it a million times more than they did before this year.

Edge612

Santa's Mentor
MMC Premiere
Oct 7, 2011
THANKSGIVING EVE THOUGHTS
So last year on Thanksgiving Night I posted a lot of final thoughts and I plan to do that again tomorrow before we move on to the new thread. However, this year I really wanted to post some thoughts on the evening of "our day". I know that I have several threads (i.e. the Hang Out & Saturday AM) and also contribute to others (Christmas Countdown, The Bers & Halloween) but I can tell you in all honesty this is my favorite thread. I started doing the countdown 2 years ago (and haven't missed a day). The reason I started doing this was because when I was a kid I loved Halloween. I loved Christmas. I loved both so much. And I still do. But the one holiday that over the last many years I've been an adult that only got better and better to me was Thanksgiving. To me it almost became the "perfect" day. It became like one big 24 hour tradition. It became about fun, football, family, the parade and more.
Today I went to work and I've said this many times it is my "favorite work day of the year." Of course, with Covid everything has been different this year so fittingly our internet was down. My 3 main coworkers though all vowed to come in and share our annual breakfast together and they did. But they only stayed an hour (normally we work together 4-5 hours this day on Thanksgiving Eve). The fact they came though anyway made me so happy. We had so much fun in that 1 hour together. Just talking, laughing and saying how much we love this time of year. After they left I hung around because I had to go through some of my files and clean up a bit plus honestly I didn't want to go home. And the fact I was all alone there in my office was an eerie feeling. I mean it's normal because this year has been the year many people learned to work from home a lot of times right? So it's not a big deal...but I thought back to last year and how different everything was and how I could never have imagined the things that went on in the last year. It made me realize that even though we say time goes fast that in a way it is a LONG time to go through a year together with all that has gone on since then. And it's thanks to you all that I continue to do this (and will continue in the 2021 countdown).
So after everyone left I really did a lot of thinking. The quietness really helped me, in a weird way, take it all in. I felt a little sadness at thinking back to what has happened in the last year. I felt sad that I was alone now. But I felt so happy that they came in. And I wondered if you told me a year ago how things would go this year and for Thanksgiving Eve 2020 I would never believe it. And that made me wonder what will it be like next year at this time? How will Thanksgiving Eve 2021 go too? And another thing I thought of was how this week really is the BEST week of the entire year overall. The funny thing is we have not even completed half the week yet but I already acknowledged it. Monday & Tuesday of this week are underrated. The feeling that built the last few days was incredible. This whole week is just amazing and unreal. Thanksgiving Eve might be the most underrated day of the entire year. Literally hardly anyone talks about it or thinks about it all year long. But it has become very special to me over the years.
Normally we count down the "weeks" to Thanksgiving on Thursdays, however, with the 2021 countdown we will no longer do that. Why? Because from now on we're going to do a weekly countdown to THANKSGIVING WEEK. We will do it every single Monday (what a way to start the week huh?). You can throw all the Mondays of the year at me you want but nothing felt like this Monday did. And this whole week has been amazing. So as much as we will continue to countdown to 3 counts (The Bers, November & Thanksgiving) we will do our weekly countdown on Mondays now to the best week of the year.
For now I just want to wish you all a great rest of your evening. Take it all in. Make the most of tonight. And I hope to see you all in the A.M. with our 364th (and final) morning post to you as the countdown ends. I hope to see you all back here then and then tomorrow night for some annual closing thoughts before we fire up the 2021 Countdown to Thanksgiving.
Edge​

DecemberisComing

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Apr 21, 2019
Illinois
Happy Thanksgiving Eve, everybody! It really is an underrated day, I am grateful to have had today off but the anticipation is definitely higher than the years when I worked- I think I was probably more distracted to really appreciate the “Eve”! Hard to believe it is also Rudolph Day! Have a great night, with visions what dancing in your heads? For me it is apple pie and stuffing!

Christmaswarlock

Mistletoeologist
MMC Member
Nov 18, 2018
Atlanta
Well said CW! It's not quite the same. It's like watching a Christmas show in May.
Its weird because I enjoy Christmas movies more after Christmas than I do in season. I enjoy hunting down old shows from Christmas also from popular series back in their day. Lol!! -- when you use bit torrent to download a whole series to just get their 3 Christmas specials!

SolidSnake84

Dang Near Santa Himself
MMC Member
MMC Premiere
Sep 14, 2019
Virginia
Good post, @Edge612 . This has been a special thread, very fitting for a special day.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL! I can't believe we are finally here. Earlier in the year I didn't have any idea what Thanksgiving 2020 or Holiday Season 2020 would even look like. When I think about my life and how things have been around here, I hate to say this in light of so many people around the world suffering, but our "build-up" to Thanksgiving, if you will, has been decidedly NORMAL. Everything around town has been normal aside from having to wear masks. My wife went to the grocery store yesterday, and she didn't see any bare shelves, no people being crazy, it was just a normal, busy day before Thanksgiving. And I think because of how 2020 has been, I'm more grateful for this time, than at any other time.

I echo the sentiment that 2021 will see a return to normal, or at least as close to normal as possible in this new world post-pandemic, but I think as well that it will make every person much, much, more appreciative of the "normal" things in their lives that maybe they took for granted, or didn't think of enough.

And I'm looking forward to the NEW Thanksgiving 2021 thread. One of the many things I love about MMC, is that it is OKAY to always be looking towards the next set of dates, milestones, holidays etc. Thanksgiving 2020 hasn't even really happened yet, but here I am looking forward already to the build-up to next time. I hope everyone has a Happy and healthy Thanksgiving 2020!

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image