what you watch on thanksgiving?

Spyells

Sugar Cookie Tester
MMC Member
Sep 25, 2011
California
My family watches the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in the morning. Then after that they all watch the Twilight Zone marathon all day. I usually bake a cake for dessert and relax in my room, or do some homework if I have it. :corn:

Reactions: 1 person

jinglebellrock512

Twinkle Light Checker
MMC Member
May 18, 2012
Georgia
We always watch the Macy's thanksgiving day parade, too! We also like to watch a Christmas movie that night to kick-off the Christmas Spirit! :)

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas!
TV watching on Thanksgiving Day is a big tradition for me! Not that I sit there all day in front of it because I have cooking to do but it's on.

First thing in the morning I watch the Today Show for the coverage on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade then I watch the parade. When Santa comes across that is the big kick off to Christmas for me. I jump up and down and scream, "Santas here"! :dance:

After that family come over and we eat and play games then turn on the Dallas Cowboys football game. Company usually start heading home by the end of the game. After that I watch whatever Christmas movies, show or specials that are on.

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
I cannot miss the Macy's Parade, I think I get more excited than the boys when we finally see Santa.

The Macy's Parade in the morning (Mr. isn't interested, though ... he puts up with me yelling "Come here! Look at THIS!").

I do it too. It's not fun watching the parade alone and my hubby is not interested so I'm always yelling, Hon come look, LOL, it's just a natural thing to want to share with the hubby.

Funny!!! Same here about the parade! When my kids were little they watched it with me but I still think it was more my thing than theirs. Now that they are grown, I sit and watch it alone but holler for Wayne (Snow-in-Texas) and my 22 year old son to come see "SANTA"!!! They are good sports and do come watch him with me. I jump up and down with excitement that "He's here"!!! Wayne gets a giggle out of my silliness!

Football
Football
Football (because we are together with family & the guys win!) :grin:

:family:
It's FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL because I win! Heh heh! I am the die hard Cowboys fan in the family as well as my 8 year old grandson. Wayne and my son-in-law love football but are fans of other teams but they enjoy watching the game. I guess it's more for me and a tradition on Thanksgiving that I must watch. :D The rest of the family expect football to be on and don't mind it a bit even if they don't watch much of it. They always had it on when I was growing up so we continue with that tradition. =)

Holiday

MMC Christmas Angel 1971-2020
Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Funny!!! Same here about the parade! When my kids were little they watched it with me but I still think it was more my thing than theirs. Now that they are grown, I sit and watch it alone but holler for Wayne (Snow-in-Texas) and my 22 year old son to come see "SANTA"!!! They are good sports and do come watch him with me. I jump up and down with excitement that "He's here"!!! Wayne gets a giggle out of my silliness!

It's FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL because I win! Heh heh! I am the die hard Cowboys fan in the family as well as my 8 year old grandson. Wayne and my son-in-law love football but are fans of other teams but they enjoy watching the game. I guess it's more for me and a tradition on Thanksgiving that I must watch. :D The rest of the family expect football to be on and don't mind it a bit even if they don't watch much of it. They always had it on when I was growing up so we continue with that tradition. =)

That's funny! I do enjoy watching football too... on Thanksgiving it's hard to watch much of anything, with 45 people in the house. :lol: But it's always on & the guys are glued to the tv. I am usually mingling with my nieces/sisters/Mom, so I don't get to see much tv later in the day at all!

Christmas-A-Holic

MMC Goodwill Ambassador
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Christmas Crew
Santa's Elf
Jun 21, 2009
That's funny! I do enjoy watching football too... on Thanksgiving it's hard to watch much of anything, with 45 people in the house. :lol: But it's always on & the guys are glued to the tv. I am usually mingling with my nieces/sisters/Mom, so I don't get to see much tv later in the day at all!

I remember going to a business Christmas dinner with my ex at his bosses house and the Cowboys were playing that night. It was a small group with 3 couples. The ladies said, "well, lets go into the other room while the guys watch their game". I didn't really know them all that well and didn't want to be rude so I joined the ladies but I wanted to watch that game!!! I could hear the guys holler during the game and would crane my neck into the other room to see what was going on. LOL! I did enjoy my visit with the ladies but wish I could have done both! :wink:

Okay, got off subject a bit, back to Thanksgiving TV watching! :D

christmasjingles

Elf Supervisor
MMC Lifer
Sep 28, 2009
I always turn on whatever parade is being broadcast in our area. I grew up in Detroit, Michigan and , imho, that parade is THE best, bar none. When I was a child, it was called "the J. L. Hudson Thanksgiving Day Parade." But since the old Hudson's building was demolished and since Hudson's went out of business, it has been called "America's Thanksgiving Day Parade." Unfortunately, we don't get that parade telecast down here in Florida. Here, we get 2 channels that broadcast a parade and they are BOTH the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Maybe I'm missing something, but I find myself complaining about it every year. I just don't care for it. I don't want to see the latest pop singers performing their hit songs, or see Broadway show numbers, etc.. I would just rather see the type of parade I grew up with which is your local high school bands playing familiar Christmas Carols, seeing the floats, and of course ...Santa!! Other than Santa, my favorite part of the Detroit parade is the part where, (and I forget what they call themselves) but there are a group of local businessmen who all wear black suits and ties, and carry black brief cases, and they , in unison, periodically toss and twirl the briefcases up in the air. Oh, and they all wear Santa hats. It's just fun and funny. nothing fancy or anything. A couple years I have been able to catch the Detroit parade online, but I would much prefer to be able to watch it on tv. In the evening, we might watch a Christmas movie or listen to Christmas cd's, depending on what we're in the mood for.

novelist

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 7, 2007
connecticut
:gobble:We watch the parade in the morning. I'm in the kitchen getting everything ready for dinner, but I can see the tv from there. After dinner, when everything is cleaned up, we'll either watch a Christmas movie on tv, or a Christmas dvd we own.

Billy Battles

Santa's Doppelganger
MMC Lifer
MMC Donor
Jul 12, 2007
On Santas good list(Hopefully)
I always turn on whatever parade is being broadcast in our area. I grew up in Detroit, Michigan and , imho, that parade is THE best, bar none. When I was a child, it was called "the J. L. Hudson Thanksgiving Day Parade."

I am from the Metro Detroit area and when we watched a parade(not a big fan of parades) we always watched the Detroit parade. Can't forget watching the Lions play.

Reactions: 2 people

redkaga

Elf Supervisor
MMC Lifer
Jul 23, 2012
Ohio
Watch the parade with the kids, and my wife and I usually make fun of the terrible lip synching of the performers on the floats. The kids watch a little of the dog show before we head out to lunch at my aunt-in-law's where I watch the Lions game then it's over to my parents' where I watch the Cowboys game. At night we usually watch whatever movie is on the broadcast networks.

MerryBells

wants turkey!
MMC Lifer
Sep 3, 2006
Pasadena, MD
We watch the Macy's parade, and then we watch each other eat.

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
I try to watch the Macy's parade in the morning but I'm usually so busy cooking that I miss a lot of it. Last year my boyfriend drug the TV into the kitchen and put it on top of the refrigerator for me so I could watch it while I cooked. He's a sweetie.

I also like to watch the dog show afterwards. Other than that I don't think that we have any traditional Thanksgiving shows. My mom is nutso about NFL football and this year we're doing Thanksgiving at her house so I bet we'll get conned into watching football some too. Boo. Sorry guys, I hate football.

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
Reading this is making me SO excited for Thanksgiving!!! I keep waiting for someone to offer to host it this year, but so far nobody is saying anything. I have a feeling it will be ME again this year! I LOVE to host Thanksgiving, I just don't like waiting to put up my tree until after Thanksgiving!!!

Mumof2

One Happy lil Elf
MMC Lifer
Oct 23, 2007
Boston, Ma
www.facebook.com
The Parades of course,Football. This years gonna be hectic,My Niece decided to get married the DAY before Thanksgiving in Abita Springs across the lake from New Orleans! UGH,The traffic!Plus My Sister is coming in on the 17th from Boston.(great birthday gift to me!) so I've got to leave her here,and travel all the way up there and cook a Turkey,or a Turducken if my Husband gets the day off.Plus a few dishes to cook when I get home and the next morning,and it's our 14th wedding anniversary! lol talk about a full plate! Ah,I love it though :)

Classic Christmas

Eggnog Chugger
MMC Member
Nov 9, 2008
Macy's parade in the morning as we eat a Christmas Almond puff with our coffee. In the afternoon the Lions football game is on, though it doesn't get a lot of attention as there is usually a lot of activity going on (I guess it's just tradition to have a football game on in the background on T'Giving Day).

At night we watch the Muppet's Christmas Carol, to help really kick off the Holiday Season.

Holiday

Christmas.com Alum
MMC Emeritus Member
Oct 17, 2005
Ohio
My sister said tonight that she wants to have Thanksgiving! SOOO I can put up my tree on Nov. 16-17.... That's on 19 days away!!! WOOT!

Sunshine73

MMC Emeritus Member
MMC Emeritus Member
Sep 26, 2005
Illinois
The parade is a tradition in our home. Last Thanksgiving we hosted our family gathering at the church where I work and even without television I brought my laptop in and we watched it on-line while I was cooking in the church kitchen.

Afterward we put in a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, Christmas and other cartoons for the kids. No football because there's no cable at the church. :wink:

GingerMel

Ornament Craftsman
MMC Lifer
Nov 1, 2006
Clinton, CT
The parade is online? That would be so much easier than moving a TV for me!

Ladybugkisses

Elf Choir Book Distributor
MMC Lifer
Nov 2, 2006
Glen Burnie, Maryland
I get up and watch the parade and sometimes my youngest watches it with me but my fiance and my oldest lay in bed til I rouse them up to give me a hand with dinner preperations. I take that back, I might rouse my fiance up because my 14yr old DD is no help what so ever.

Then I switch over to the Hallmark channel to watch whatever cheesy movie they have on and they all serve as back ground noise while I'm making dinner. I mean I'll pop in every once and a while or I might even sit down and watch a bit if something is in the oven for a while but over all it serves as back ground noise. I've also been know to have Christmas carols on instead of the tv, it all depends on what kinda mood I'm in.

Christmas Activities

Share Your New Christmas Music
A Christmas Carol
Support the Merry Forums
MMC Events

Kringle Radio
Pop Out Player

Sponsors

Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image Banner image